PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis in Vietnam

mantis108
12-17-2001, 06:55 PM
I think it was 18 Elder's post about the Late Grandmaster Lee Kwan Shan was in Vietnam and that he taught Dai Sui Fan Che?

This is rather interesting. Because I have heard that the Late Grandmaster Lee Kwan Shan and the Late Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai were good friends. So this would means that they might have met in Vietnam? Can anyone confirm this info? I also believe that Grandmaster Lee taught a version of Lan Jie (Lan Jeet), which is quite similar to Taiji PM version but different form the 7 Stars version.

Mantis108

Old Mantis
12-17-2001, 09:39 PM
Here is some info based on my old correspondence with Ilya Profatilov:

There were two Praying Mantis masters called Li Kunshan.

1. The first and the most famous in China and Taiwan was Li Kunshan (1894-1976) from Laiyang, so called "One of the Three Mountains of Laiyang" (Laiyang sanshan zhiyi). Li Kunshan was a master of Plum Blossom Praying Mantis and a disciple of masters Jiang Hualong and Song Zide.

Li Kunshan was well known in Laiyang-Yantai area in the 30s, thus Zhao Zhuxi (1900-1991), when in Yantai, possibly met Li Kunshan. Both masters practiced the same style of mantis anyway.

2. The second Li Kunshan "Lee Kwan Shan" (1867-1948) was a teacher of Hualin (Wah Lum) Mantis style and had two disciples Chen Yunqing and Chen Bei (master Pui Chan).

Zhao Zhuxi (Chiu Chuk Kai) moved to Vietnam (Saigon) after 1945 from Macau (Macao) and could not meet Li Kunshan "Lee Kwan Shan" of Wahlum Mantis, who lived in the remote village near Canton and died in 1948. Master Zhao Zhuxi and master Pui Chan have indeed met but not Zhao Zhuxi and Li Kunshan "Lee Kwan Shan" of Wahlum Mantis.

mantis108
12-18-2001, 07:00 PM
Thank you, Old Mantis, really appreciate the info. Very informative post indeed.

Regards

Mantis108

cha kuen
12-30-2001, 08:10 AM
mantis108 and anyoen else

Have you guys heard of sifu Chun Ming in vietnam for tcpm?

He learned from CCK?

I'm in vietnam and I recently got his contact information from a family doctor but I"m leaving tomorrow and won't be able to see him. ****! Maybe next time.

mantis108
12-30-2001, 05:49 PM
May be Taijimantis (the member) could help you on this one. Sifu Ly of Grand Rapids (Taijimantis' Sifu) studied in Vietnam as well.

Regards

Mantis108

webbb82
12-31-2001, 03:32 AM
Hi Cha Kuen

You can e-mail me at webbb82@hotmail.com for some information reguardding the above.

talk soon