PDA

View Full Version : MA training with pets?

jun_erh
12-17-2001, 07:42 PM
Before he died I used to use my snake fist on my cat Ty (the american guy) who responded with tiger claw. he had great "explosive power" a la Shaolin. My new feline, Styles, is more into the groundfighting thing. He has these huge paws that he uses to bat and step on things.

wufupaul
12-17-2001, 08:05 PM
I wrestle with my dog, he's getting to be pretty good. I practice push hands with him, too, he's pretty good for a dog.

wufupaul
12-17-2001, 08:07 PM
This was a boxer that belonged to an ex-girlfriend, this pic was taken right as he punched me in the jaw, haha.

Martial Joe
12-17-2001, 08:09 PM
Boxers are awsome dogs...

Paul,looks like he had the advantage there...

Starchaser107
12-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Neighbours dog used to play soccer with us pretty well, but never in my life have i ever considered m.a. with any pets , you guys are something else.

Martial Joe
12-17-2001, 09:21 PM
Have you ever seen the mokey doing tkd clip?

Chang Style Novice
12-17-2001, 09:24 PM
I have a pet Rhinocerous named 'Nosy' I do weapon sparring with.

Okay, that's an outrageous lie. He's really a unicorn named 'Shish Kebab.'

KungFuGuy!
12-17-2001, 09:30 PM
Boxers are less tame than wolves and have no place in society. When I was 6, there was this dog across the street that was as good as lassy, all the neighborhood kids came to play with this dog every day. One day while I was playing with it, the neighbor's boxer came charging out of the backyard and ripped right into this dog, almost killing it. If the victim dog was smaller or it's owner didn't run in and kick the other dog in the face (he was a karate instructor) that dog would have died, or if the boxer came after me, I would have died. There are countless other reports of spontaneously violent behavior from boxers, it's only a matter of time before they're banned.

Chang Style Novice
12-17-2001, 09:35 PM
KFG -

This doesn't jibe with the three loving, gentle boxers I've personally known and owned. They are a breed that is very protective of their homes and family, but Buck (my first boxer, and the one that took on a Moose for fun in a story I've related in another thread) was easily trained to drop to the ground whenever he met another person or dog while we were on our walks. He never started a fight with a person or animal, except for that moose and the mailman.

Johnny Hot Shot
12-17-2001, 10:03 PM
When I workout on my heavy bag in my home Dojo my do goes nuts and attacks the bag untill he can no longer contain himself. He then begins to attack me untill I kick him out.

wufupaul
12-18-2001, 12:17 AM
Joe, if there are any clips of animals doing funny stuff on the web, I have it. I've never known a mean boxer either, CSN. That one in the pic^ was the sweetest dog in the world. He helped raise two kittens, he was their big brother. He was also my dog's best buddy for a while. If you notice in the pic, he got a good face shot in, but I had my hand on his throat, ready to go, hehe. I don't really believe the whole breed thing. Sure, some dogs are going to be "more likely" to be mean, but if you raise them to be gentle loving dogs, they won't be. My dog(the one in the cowboy hat and sweater, haha) is Chow, Pitt Bull, and a little lab. As soon as I tell people what breed mix he is, they assume he's mean, but he's not, because I raised him not to be violent.

KungFuGuy!
12-18-2001, 05:35 AM
Yes, if you raise a dog well it will turn out great, even a boxer. However, if an owner doesn't discipline a dog well at a young age (which is the case with many owners), the dog will turn out to be mischevious, and in some cases (mainly the boxer's case), violent. Also, if a stranger looks at some of the larger breeds straight in the eye, even if the person is petting the dog, the dog will see this as a challenge and attack. The dog most famous for this is the boxer.
I've worked at an animal hospital for the past two and a half years, I've seen how mean these things can get, and although they can be great dogs if the owner trained it well, they should still be banned. Wolves can be great pets too, right?

Kristoffer
12-18-2001, 05:40 AM
I wrestle my dog, and cats... They actually lose :cool:

Yung Apprentice
12-18-2001, 06:45 AM
I tired grappling with one of my cats and she clinched on to my hand, it was an unusual lock that I've never seen before, although it was quite effective and I eventually had to tap out. My other cat is lazy and submits from the start.

Crimson Phoenix
12-18-2001, 07:33 AM
Hehehe, cats are the real proof that open hand is better than fist...plus they got that taiji thing to their strikes :)
Anyway, I have to say that Boxers rule...when I was little my bodyguard was a boxer named Shiva...she was so gentle, yet no one could approach me without her permission...
I'm sure she's in dogs' heaven now *sniff*

Water Dragon
12-18-2001, 08:06 AM
I did extended research on dog breeds before I got my last one (as I have two small boys) Every place I looked strongly reccomended boxers for their easy going, non violent nature. They are considered one of the best breeds for kids as they will put up with **** near everything and love it.

SevenStar
12-18-2001, 11:20 AM
when I was in high school, I would "train" at home with my dog. He's fast as heck, and just as greedy and possessive. I would use this to train. I'd put something of his, like a ball in front of my foot, and I'd roll it around to tease him with it. he'd creep up, trying to get close enough to bit my shoe and take the ball. Soon as he lunged, I'd sidestep. Believe it or not, it actually helped. Also, while rough housing, I would swing lightly at him. eventually he caught on and started ducking under my swings, then lunging in at me. He used this in a fight! One day I was walking him, and this kid of about 7 was approaching from the other direction walking a big german shepherd (My dog is a ****erspaniel) When it saw us, it broke away from the kid and rushed towards us. my dog stepped in front of me and started growling. Soon as the dog got up to us, it lashed at my dog, who ducked under it, just as he did while we were playing. he then lunged forward and bit the shepherd's leg. The dog decided that it didn't want anymore and backed off.

My dog is one tough cookie. I bet JWT's weenie dog would still kick his a§§ though.

DelicateSound
12-18-2001, 01:49 PM
My cat I box a little with. It doesn't guard so much as counter, and man that thing can rip!

As for grappling, that thing'd take out Royce Gracie man. Clings with it's front paws, and kicks madly with its back to my wrist, in an attempt to rip a vein I think. It goes by the name of Darth at the moment. When I dig up a photo, I'll post the evil little biatch on here for all to see and fear.

DelicateSound
12-18-2001, 01:50 PM
See below.

DelicateSound
12-18-2001, 01:52 PM
Believe it or not, that's the wrong photo! Christ - I wish I could grapple with that every day! Wooh.

OK, let me find the REAL photo. Sorry about the inconvenience that must have caused. I'll remove it if you like.

Kristoffer
12-18-2001, 02:02 PM
lol

anerlich
12-18-2001, 02:09 PM
My cat and I usually have ten minutes of freestyle grappling on the bed while my wife takes her makeup off. He's easy to get into the guard but has very good passing skills. He's also very good at escaping armbars and triangles.

The little ******* always resorts to illegal tactics (biting, scratching) when he's under pressure, though.

Leonidas
12-18-2001, 02:24 PM
I used to wrestle my cousins dog until he started trying to hump me...........uugh. Anyways now i just try to tackle him in the yard, since he runs fast as hell i get a good workout.

KungFuGuy!
12-18-2001, 03:38 PM
That's a funny story sevenstar, my beagle has done something like that. This shepard mix somehow broke into my backyard and starting making trouble with my dog, so it got right under the intruder and bit it's manhood. Never heard a yelp so loud in my life :D
Water dragon, where in hell are you doing your research? The most obediant, loyal, and harmless dog is a golden retriever, I've heard this through the experts and personal experience (remember, 2.5 years at an animal hospital). How can boxers be the nicest breed but also be considered for banning by the government?

SevenStar
12-18-2001, 04:03 PM
well, they don't have to worry about neutering that dog now!

Why would they ban boxers?

wufupaul
12-18-2001, 04:30 PM
I agree, Waterdragon. That Boxer that I posted a pic of went to live with a family that has 3 boys, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and lots of neighborhood kids around. He(along with about a dozen other Boxers I have known) loves kids and gets excited whenever he has the chance to play with them. I have 2 cats, too, but they don't like to do kung fu, only the dog does, haha.

lowsweep
12-18-2001, 04:51 PM
I grapple with my cat sometimes. She is completely crazy. Think Neo in the Matrix can run up walls? She can do it better (and you should see her go at the curtains!) Jet Li, even with all his wires, has nothing on her. I can usually beat her grappling if I can catch her, but as soon as I turn out the lights and try to go to bed she jumps on my feet and claws them with all her might. I will be half asleep and stumbling to the stairs with the lights out and WHAMMM my feet are torn to shreds. Then, I usually either trip and fall and yell something mean that scares her away or i reach down and wrench her off of my poor foot, clawing and biting. She thinks its hilarious, though, spends plenty of time hiding behind the couch waiting fot the downstairs lights to go out and me be rendered blind for long enough to attack.

KungFuGuy!
12-18-2001, 06:42 PM
Sevenstar, because there are tons of reports of random acts of violence by boxers, moreso than any other dog by about 50% (I forget the exact statistic, it's in the 50% range). There are more boxer attacks than wolf attacks in north america.

Chang Style Novice
12-18-2001, 07:21 PM
KFG -

There are also more boxers than wolves in N. America, and more of them live around people. Given these facts, your wolf statistic is meaningless.

Do some more research, Guy, and you may discover that Boxers are also frequently used as guide dogs for the blind. That's right, the perfect profession for a calm, gentle, friendly, smart, obedient breed.

Like Boxers, for example.

You appear to have been traumatized by a very sad incident and are now generalizing the traits of the one bad dog you encountered onto the entire breed. Also, before casting aspersions on Waterdragon's research, perhaps you should put yours where we can see it.

Um, anyway. I didn't mean to make this a flame war, but I really love and miss my Boxer dogs and hate to see their reputation unfairly tarnished.

So, uh, I was doing my taiji forms in a park today and a dog came up to see what I was doing. There, that's on topic, right?

Yung Apprentice
12-18-2001, 07:34 PM
from what I read pit bulls(not to be confused with bull dogs) were the most unpredictable, and aren't very trust worthy. From what I read they had more of a tendency to lash out at there owners. Also rottweilers have also been known to attack there owners.But as with any dog if you train them correctly and love them you should have no problem.

Crimson Phoenix
12-19-2001, 01:12 AM
Now that was a really good point...more boxer attacks than wolves hahahahahah
In France, elephants are big wussies, they don't even attack as much as street cats do...but maybe it could be that there are not that many elephants in the streets I guess...
There are things like "compensated statistics" that usualy elude poor newsmen...count how many dog owners in America, and count how many guys are confronted to savage wolves (the ones in zoo do not count)...it's stupid...And watch out, these same poor newsmen usually twist the statistics by saying "boxers" a specific breed, when they should say "molossoid" a whole canine family that contain much more aggressive types of dogs...
Don't trust all what they say on TV, use your discriminating judgement.
and savage wolves do not refrain from attacking men because they are gentle, they do it because they are scared. Zoo wolves are much more dangerous than savage ones, because they have come to learn that men are potential preys like any other.

KungFuGuy!
12-19-2001, 03:14 AM
I like my wolf statistic :D It's the same thing as saying there's more deaths by donkeys than there are deaths by plane crashes per year.
As I said before, boxers can be fantastic dogs if they have good owners that give it good discipline, and although this may be the case with apparently all of you, it isn't the case with most dog owners in america. Snakes have been banned in Toronto because of neglegant owners who have them let escape.
I'm not bias because I was "traumatized" by an event when I was six. If I were traumatized, I wouldn't be able to handle frightened, thus often dangerous animals on a daily basis, some of whom are boxers. The worst are cats though, it's rare that I go home without a few scratches from p!ssed off kitties.
I questioned water dragon's research because it is obviously fake or from a bad source. To say that boxers are more gentle than a breed like the golden retriever is ludicrous. I can name at least 20 breeds that are more docile than boxers, because even the best behaved boxer loves to play fight and have tug wars, it's in their nature.
Research? Hah, I've read through every Dog magazine for the past couple years. It gets boring at work sometimes and they don't have a lot of reading material :)
I'm not tarnishing the boxer's reputation, that aligation belongs to the thousands of bad owners who are going to cause the boxer to be banned. I'm simply relaying the facts.

Crimson Phoenix
12-19-2001, 03:43 AM
Yes, well, indeed, the owner plays a great part in turning a dog aggressive or gentle...but I guess no one doubts that boxers are fantastically gentle and protective with children.
Geez, this forum has very wide topics sometimes!!!!

straight blast
12-19-2001, 04:02 AM
Wolves do not make good pets...

I like to wrestle my Rottie. I've developed a style I call "Aikidog" (c). As he charges me I grab his front leg & pull it under his body & he goes hurtling past. But man can he Ukemi & come right back at ya!
I love boxers. They are the sweetest dogs in the world. Anything else is propaganda :D

Crimson Phoenix
12-19-2001, 06:18 AM
LOLOLOL Too funny, St8 Blast!!
You know, these guys walking and taking care of dogs really make $$, maybe you should open some school in which you'd teach Aikidog, Karatedog, Judog, etc, with canine and human mixed classes hehehehehehhe
I'm sure Taekwondog would be a blast hahahahhaha

Satanachia
12-19-2001, 06:59 AM
Whenever i go out in the back yard i often try some evasion stuff with my beagle since he always tries to jump up at you.

Usually don't go to bad either, and manage to slip and sidestep quite a few of his jumps at me.

Then he gets in close and his paw goes in for the groin strike...

Ouch...:D

JWTAYLOR
12-19-2001, 07:56 AM
All of your dogs are sissies.
Step up to the awesome responsibility of owning a real dog.
That's right, the Weiner Dog. The most sultry of all dogs.

JWT

DelicateSound
12-19-2001, 11:33 AM
Sultry or not, it wouldn't stand a chance against my cat.

Yeah that's right - "My pet's harder than your pet"! :)

Yung Apprentice
12-19-2001, 09:14 PM
When discussing temperments of dogs it's usually just that breed in general. Heres a good website to visit about different breeds.

www.dogbreedinfo.com Go to the part about breeds in alphabetical order.

Apprentice
12-19-2001, 10:58 PM
My dog is a Sheapard, Husky, and something else(can't think of it right now)...i do evasion with her, she tries to jump on me every time she hasn't seen me in a while(come home, wake up, get off comp)...and i'll sidestep her jumps, and push her aside, and she gets more aggresive and eventually gets me, she's must do alota plyos when im not around, as soon as she hits the ground, she's jumping right away, like she's bouncing :)

My cat, i dunno what kind, he's gray with green eyes(help?)...but he doesn't like to get his tummy rubbed, and he'll grab my hand with his front paws(no claws) and try to bite, i put my hand there, and when he tries to bite me, i retract my hand back(he's quick, prolly cuz of practice, and he's a Hunter)...the times where he really gets me, is when he sneak attacks with the back paws(with claws)...ouch, sometimes he'll use his whole body(he usually is on his back when i do this)...

I use iron Index Finger with my bird, he bites me when i try to pet it :( ...i never gave her enough attention, she dont like me, but she dont bite hard anyway, not enough to peirce skin or nothin, weak little ****atile, hehe...

straight blast
12-20-2001, 04:41 AM
Tae Kwon Dog...:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Oh dude, I think I just bust a ventricle laughing.
Tae Kwon Dog vs Aikidog...interesting.
How about Mutt Thai?
Jeet Kune Dog?
Kem-pet?
Hapkidog?
Cat-o-eira?
Brasillian Jackal-Jitsu?
Dog Brothers? Oops, think someone's used that already.
Nin-kitt-su?
Woof Jong?
Chew chiao?
Choy Lay Fur?
Bat Mei?
Ching Woof?
Tae Boa? (snakes need attention & walking too)

I gotta stop this before it gets any worse.

My favorite? Wolf Fu

Crimson Phoenix
12-20-2001, 05:23 AM
LOLOLOLOLOL Stop it Straight blast you're cracking me up and I look all dumb in front of the colleagues!!
Man, Ching Woof and Tae Boa, just picturing how it would look like makes me wet my pants, not to mention Catoeira!!!!!
God, my abs are hurting now :D

Water Dragon
12-20-2001, 08:19 AM
You're more than welcome to look at some of my obviously fake research:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boxer.htm
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/boxer.html
http://www.petnet.com.au/dogs/D115.html
http://www.gardening-uk.com/dogs/breeds/breed_guide.html

That should start you off, be sure and look at all the other breeds for more fake info.

DelicateSound
01-09-2002, 04:57 PM
It's breed specific in the dog world - VERY racist.

Brazilian Ju-****su is a BIGGIE.

African Tiger
01-09-2002, 06:30 PM
I just have to say, cats are the bomb for sparring fist strikes. Dog you can roll with, but not much else.

Cats not only block your strikes, they redirect. You can learn so much from them.

Here is my cat Tan Tien, get it? Tan Tien!

DelicateSound
01-11-2002, 01:00 PM
My cat's d a m n good at sparring, a good couple of finger taps on the head and she's ready to box!!

Grappling is possible - try a chock and they dip their heads and go for the fingers. Get too close and they grab with the paws and kick with the haunches. Actually its quite hard to be quicker than a cat. I can do it about 80% of the time now, but I still have scrathes! :D

GreyMystik
01-11-2002, 01:24 PM
i actually have a friend who claims that he has 'transcended' sparring and training with humans, and is now training and sparring with animals because they are the 'next level'. heh.

ShaolinTiger00
01-11-2002, 01:40 PM
I have the ultimate kung fu pet:

the mighty chinese fighting dog - The Shar Pei

His name is Liu (Lou) as its Chinese and American at the same time.

Like a true master of the martial arts, He is a babe magnet and gets frequent kisses from strangers who can't resist that wrinkly mug! ... He's really a great dog. amazingly protective, great with my son, never barks, etc...

and to whomever wrote that crap about pitbulls.....
Buddy check your facts. Pitbulls may be the most viscious creature pound for pound ever created, but they are almost without exception - Human Friendly ! Animal Aggressive! They are horrible guard dogs because of this trait.
I grew up with a wonderful pitbull in our family that we rescued after a dog fighting ring was broken up and the dogs were put in the pound. I know the breed very well from the common fact that there is so much untrue information surrounding them.

Rottweilers and Dobermans on the otherhand were bred as guard dogs they have been bred to be people aggressive.

nightair
01-11-2002, 01:43 PM
I grapple with my german shepard and my bird does tai chi with me.

nightair
01-11-2002, 01:44 PM
I acctually got better in martial arts by learning the body language of certain animals.

Chang Style Novice
01-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Squashfaced dogs (Pitbulls, shar-peis, boxers, pugs, etc.) often like to play tug-of-war, and always demonstrate excellent body mechanics, rooting, and fajing when they do so. Inspiring, really.

GeneChing
10-19-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm not paid to endorse this, but I should be. ;)

http://kungfukittycattoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Tiger-Paw-Pose-Sun-and-Clouds-232x300.png

Kung Fu Kitty (http://kungfukittycattoy.com/about/)

Is your cat a Kung Fu warrior?

After all, your cat can jump great heights, catch small intruders, and stalk each of your ten toes under the covers…all completely undetected! But, all warriors must have a wise master to provide “training”.

Kung Fu Kitty™ offers several USA made teasers for wise masters who demand high quality toys keeping their feline warrior performing their best. Our flexible cable is engineered to replicate realistic action and motion, while our unique Kung Fu Clip!™ allows easy toy changes when your warrior needs a new foe or for an affordable way to switch up the fun.

Why Kung Fu Kitty?

Kung Fu Kitty is handmade in the USA. It is a high quality brand at a mid level price with fun, eye catching packaging, and innovative design. The Kung Fu Clip!™ replacement end connector allows anyone to replace a beat up toy end or change the end to a new design for a fraction of the cost of the full toy; extending the life of your original investment!

-N-
10-19-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm not paid to endorse this, but I should be. ;)

Engineered flexible cable cat toy, ok.... :rolleyes:

Some friends in college found a kitten and decided to give it a home.

I used a wad of duct tape on the end of a string to teach the kitten to swat at things.

After a few weeks, they had to find another home for the kitten due to getting swatted all the time.

Had a chow that we taught how to avoid leg sweeps. He liked that game. He became known as "the dog that couldn't be sweeped". Didn't matter if you used your foot, a stick, a spear, or a sword. He would jump over the sweep, even if you tried to catch him by surprise.

mickey
10-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Greetings,

I had an instructor who worked out with his dog. He shared that his progress really improved in the areas of fighting spontaneity, fighting range fluidity, and with ground technique.

mickey

SevenStar
10-25-2016, 10:12 AM
when I was in high school, I would "train" at home with my dog. He's fast as heck, and just as greedy and possessive. I would use this to train. I'd put something of his, like a ball in front of my foot, and I'd roll it around to tease him with it. he'd creep up, trying to get close enough to bit my shoe and take the ball. Soon as he lunged, I'd sidestep. Believe it or not, it actually helped. Also, while rough housing, I would swing lightly at him. eventually he caught on and started ducking under my swings, then lunging in at me. He used this in a fight! One day I was walking him, and this kid of about 7 was approaching from the other direction walking a big german shepherd (My dog is a ****erspaniel) When it saw us, it broke away from the kid and rushed towards us. my dog stepped in front of me and started growling. Soon as the dog got up to us, it lashed at my dog, who ducked under it, just as he did while we were playing. he then lunged forward and bit the shepherd's leg. The dog decided that it didn't want anymore and backed off.

My dog is one tough cookie. I bet JWT's weenie dog would still kick his a§§ though.

RIP to my little buddy