PDA

View Full Version : Input needed!

Ex-goalie
12-18-2001, 11:37 AM
Hi everybody, I'm new at this so please bear with me.

I'm posting here as I'm pretty new to the martial arts and was enrolled as a beginner at a school where I was learning muay thai. However 2 mths into classes I sustained an injury to my right hand while playing soccer, this has resulted in my no longer being able to make a closed fist. This has put a damper on my thai-boxing. Since then a friend recommended looking into some "open-hand" styles & techniques, specifically in other forms that I may want to look into. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,

Ex-goalie

shaolinboxer
12-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Is this a permanent injury you sustained? What is it that's preventing you from making a fist? Pain that will heal? A shortening of the tendons? Crushed bones?

Details please so that we may give you a better answer :).

Ex-goalie
12-18-2001, 12:31 PM
Actually, a combination of the latter two including a screw implanted in my middle right hand finger. I was kicked, hard, in the hand while covering a loose ball in my crease. It resulted in two broken bones in my hand, and my middle finger was broken in two places which resulted in it being operated on and the screw put in. Most of the pain has subsided and continues to subside. The orthopaedic surgeon that operated on it warned me of restricted movement in the hand, I've already managed to exceed a few expectations in physio, but the middle finger continues to come along slowly. I'm just glad I'm not a concert pianist.

Hope this helps,

Ex-goalie

IronFist
12-18-2001, 01:20 PM
Dude, goalies are bad ass. I used to be a soccer goalie, and then later on a hockey goalie. I was fùcking awesome, too :)

I don't know about your hand... I wouldn't strike anything until it's completely back to normal. You don't want to do any more damage. In the mean time you might want to look in to some internal arts.

I wonder what the internal arts guys would say about a screw in your finger affecting chi?

Good luck,

Iron

Brett Again
12-18-2001, 01:46 PM
Maybe you could get a, like, "James Bond" finger that has a pop up switchplade or a lazer beam... or at least a flip up bottle opener!:D

Most TCMAs have many open handed striking techniques that allow you to use the palm, palm heel, knife edge and wrist to compliment the traditional fist.

The key is finding a good teacher. He'll show you how to compensate for your injury.

Ex-goalie
12-18-2001, 01:49 PM
Actually my doctor has given me the "OK" to start up again. We agreed that common sense in training is best all round, and only I can prevent the injury from becoming too aggravated. What pain I have is quite bearable at this point, and only occurs after a vigorous workout.(3 months ago was a different story) I have also been discharged from physio.
I intended to start small to begin with and go from there as the last X-rays I had looked pretty good. However my only handicap is not being able to properly close my fist, as the position of the screw restricts this.

Take care,

Ex-goalie

Ex-goalie
12-18-2001, 02:00 PM
Thanks Brett Again,

I like the idea of the Swiss Army finger. A friend once suggested something battery operated for my girlfriend... LOL!

Any particular style that has emphasis on use of the palm? I'm new to this.

Kind regards,

Ex-goalie

Brett Again
12-19-2001, 01:22 PM
Many Chinese styles use the palm and palm heel.

The key would be not in the style emphasizing these techniques, but in YOUR emphasis of this technique in your training.

fmann
12-20-2001, 10:46 AM
When the screws are removed, and after some rehab and hard work, you'll probably be able to close your fist again. don't worry. :)

You don't necessarily need to have a closed tight fist for kung fu / CMA. Alot of styles utilize palm strikes, wrist strikes, and loose fist strikes. Most of the "hard" styles emphasize punching in the beginning, most of the "soft" styles like Tai chi, baqua, hsing-yi, etc. will make ample use of palms and other strikes.

It's just not going to be the same as Muay Thai.

hkphooey
12-20-2001, 11:50 AM
ex-goalie

did you make the save???

Ex-goalie
12-20-2001, 01:00 PM
First off, thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread so far, you're suggestions & advice have been very helpful.

To fmann, all the steel in my hand is permanent, it was a pretty nasty injury. Very few bones were affected but the ones that were broken were almost shattered. I've been told not to keep my hand in my pocket while walking through airports.

To hkphooey, yah I made the save!! As a result of that we made it to the finals where we lost to another squad who almost exclusively hail from Deustchland. They're tight & hard to beat however it was a close game to the finish when we lost in the 2nd overtime. It was heartbreaking to watch from the bench. Unfortunately my on-line identity will change to "right-striker" when the season starts again. It's too bad, I thought of myself as a pretty fair goaltender.

Take care & happy holidays to all!

Ex-goalie

hkphooey
12-20-2001, 01:52 PM
congrats!! sorry it ended in a less than ideal way..for both you and your team.

"right-striker" sounds a little more "macho". it certainly sounds more intimidating than hkphooey. it was the cat who did all the work anyway...

good luck with your pursuit.