PDA

View Full Version : Trick stylists?

Good, better, Me
12-18-2001, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Does anyone besides of practising kung fu or other MA, practise all sorts of tricks? You know, back flips, wheel kicks, butterfly twists, 540 kick (landed my first today :p )?

It's a great hobby to have, when you want to impress someone, add more physical skill/fitness, or just want some challenges!
I'm new to this hobby. There are a couple of good sites with tricks, like www.bilang.com or www.swisstricks.com
check them out.

MonkeySlap Too
12-18-2001, 02:43 PM
One of my top students showed up for class one day and demonstrated how he could run up a wall, around a corner and finish with an aerial kick.

Nobody told him MOST people do that with wires.

Later in another class he used to attend, he demonstrated his trick - a goof in the class tried to show off that he could do it and ran right into the wall.

Ach, if only I was so talented...

shaolinboxer
12-18-2001, 02:47 PM
I don't understand the claims about "540 kicks" or "720 kicks" .

If you do a 720 twist, you are off off the ground for the full 720. But the kick in a 720 kick travels less than one complete revolution, leaving the rest of the "720" done twisting on the ground with foot work.

If you're gonna call a kick a 720, lets see two full revloutions with an outstreched kicking leg and the body off of the ground.

fa_jing
12-18-2001, 02:50 PM
I can pat my head and rub my tummy... :)

diego
12-18-2001, 02:58 PM
i can **** placing one palm in the other armpit and do slight muscle contracting-jerking/jing-motions
run up a wall turn the corner pishhh

f*** ***t *ar*
the master!!???

diego
12-18-2001, 02:58 PM
???

shoushu
12-18-2001, 06:58 PM
Its a jump inside with an extra rotation (or half rotation) at the end, not a 540 inside...

just keepin' it real!

there are some good "tricks" in the new beijingwushuteam.com videos too (see the thread about that)

MonkeySlap Too
12-18-2001, 08:15 PM
Hey diego,
I don't teach tricks, but if one of my students is talented enough to pull them off and it gets him girls, why discourage him?

Your just jealous. You poor guy.

SevenStar
12-18-2001, 11:37 PM
I can do "show off kicks" like landing a tornado kick with one leg, or a lotus kick, but don't work with them too much. my first style was korean, so spinning kicks/kicking high, etc. is fairly natural to me. I can't pull of a butterfly kick for some reason though.

Anyway, back on topic, I know of a few sifus that teach their kids wushu kicks in order to build explosiveness for the "real" kicks.

wushu chik
12-18-2001, 11:53 PM
Some of our students can pull them off......and they are pretty good....comes in handy for our creatives!!!!!!!!!

~Wen~

Fish of Fury
12-19-2001, 12:19 AM
i used to do a lot of flashy kicks when i was younger , but now doing Southern Kungfu (and being an old bast@rd!) i don't.
kinda miss them though.

actually i didn't do TOO many aerial kicks, just high fast kicks and spinning kicks etc....although i did go through a "run up the wall and jump onto the garage roof" phase when i'd seen too many Jackie Chan movies years ago...:rolleyes: :p

Starchaser107
12-19-2001, 02:12 AM
A friend introduced me to capoiera earlier this year, and I learnt the macauca(sp) which I eventually used to help me learn how to back handspring without going to the side. hopefully this will evolve into a backflip. Also learnt a cool headstand with interesting leg movements I use as exercize but I guess highly skilled capoieraists use this to throw people , (it's possible, but I'd have to see somebody other than eddy gordo pull that one off for it to fully register that this is a workable drill), for now its just great exercize.
As for those aerials , sometimes I fool around with that stuff, but I believe in keeping it "real" in sparring and fighting... If I ever get competent enough with that flair then maybe Ill try to pull it off if I see an opening , Id say it would have to be pretty fast though or else get shot down. So for now ..keep it real.:cool:

diego
12-19-2001, 03:20 AM
to tornadoe and land with the leg you kicked with,i dont practise those as much as i should,therefore at those i suck.
just practise and you will get it or do you focus after the kick to recoil and plant??.

yah im semi-impressed thier sifu,i got slight JERK jing motions how could bieng able to run up a wall help you possibly when your cornered to a wall,ha wtf???

Gigante
12-19-2001, 07:43 AM
Check out
http://www.bilang.com

Also
http://www.breakdance.com/moves
I know, it's not MA, but theyve got some cool moves anyway.. 8)

No_Know
12-19-2001, 10:10 AM
A spinning back kick would be a 180 kick.

Ice skaters and balletrinas move slower with their leg out. As they pull the leg closer to the center of the spin the faster they spin.

An eighteen wheeler going around a sharp curve more than the recommended speed limit has a better chance of not turning over at all~ the closer to the center of the turn it is.

Keeping the leg in while spinning for the 720 helps that quarter rotation that the leg is out for what you'd consider the kick more forceful and faster than having the leg out for more of the 720.

This is sling shot. A shot slung from hanging down to slung straight ahead is less powerful/fast/forcefilled than a sling whirled several times before release.

Note that the same force that pushes water in an upside-down container with an open top (top now bottom, as it is upside-down), is the same foce that makes a kick stronger, the faster it spins before going-out (shooting-out). ~Some-such, perhaps, some might say.

norther practitioner
12-19-2001, 10:50 AM
I am happy with my butterfly kick. Not bad for a guy my size (5'8" 190). I think the "tricks" help with balance, coordination, and just basic body mechanics. Plus the whole explosion factor. If you can jump, do two full rotations and kick at a target, it should make a simple 180 kick simple and somewhat accurate. I don't think anyone should look to try to do a 720 kick in combat. I don't know about actually spinning too much after the kick makes contact with something, but lining up to do a 720 (rather than a 180, 360, 540, etc.) could create some devastating speed in the kick, which is one of the reasons some of these things came about. Think of some of your forms where the form goes past the application (ie a punch, thinking about, trying to puch through, not punch at). I don't know, thats just my interpretation on tricks. I do think they are cool, I am going to start learning arials soon (just got to knock off another 10-12 lbs). OH, and happy holidays everybody.

SevenStar
12-19-2001, 12:14 PM
I think it's mainly just torque, bro. you really have to focus on the twisting of the waist. I'm getting ready to take my lunch break and go workout. While I'm there I'll do the kick a few times and see if I can think of any pointers.

SevenStar
12-19-2001, 04:06 PM
alright, make sure that your jump is explosive also. between the jump and the torque, you should be able to bring yourself around. you also have to do some mental control with it. human nature (common sense?) tells you to put the other foot down first, so have to concentrate on doing just the opposite. Can you do a backflip? your body naturally wants to jump backwards (at least mine did) and flip, when really you should jump straight in the air, and flip on an invisible axis. it takes concentration to stop jumping backwards. same thing with landing on one leg.

diego
12-19-2001, 05:22 PM
explain to me like im a beginner,your in a r backtwist stance "wieght on right leg"ready to twist and jump counterclockwise.
When you step down and punch the force transfers from foot to knee upto shoulder thru forearm into punch.Can you explain that process from a twist stance,from the point of twisting thru the jump to kicking your palm.
thanks.

In my style we also use a slashing tornadoe kick to the knees with the outside bottom of your shoes;can't remember if we aplply it high like that,but i think i was told my moms boyfriends teacher liked to,do you use the slash kick??.

diego
12-19-2001, 05:26 PM
not the mental process of making your kick leg land,unless you can word that visual,but the dynamics behind the twist and the path force is released,maybe with pointers from extra training to add to ones tornado.

DUDE IRON FLAG ISZ BANGING!!!!!.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE VERSION THAT DOESNT SAY MADE IN NEW YORK ON THE BACK,the hidden track13 THEW is only on the import.