PDA

View Full Version : Forms, weapons, breaking boards, etc.

Aramus
12-18-2001, 03:48 PM
First off, I do martial arts because I enjoy it.

Forms: I have learned a lot from the forms I have practiced. Just little things you do can have many applications (Hidden movements/interpretations in kata/forms, etc.). I actually used what I learned in some forms in sparring...that was pretty neat. I laugh at myself when I think how long it took me to really learn Short form 1 and long form one in Kenpo Karate (what a moron I was). Forms are good for conditioning, meditation, practice, mental exercise as mentioned before. Also, you don't always have a sparring or training partner, but you can always do forms...you just need a little space.

Weapons: Weapons are very cool and add spice to training. They build strength, endurance, timing, and help you measure your capabilities (if you're not careful going at full speed you could put holes in the walls, ceilings, etc.). I had a friend, JD Clark III, He studied sword fighting but was amazing without one. His strength, speed, accuracy, and body postitioning was simply amazing. He beat many other black belts and various artists who were teachers/instrutors without having to significantly hurt them and without a weapon (sometimes with one).

Breaking boards: Yes, you can bake boads to decrease the moisture in them to make them easier to break. You don't want those soggy, damp boards for your demonstrations...and you can buy the wood with the grain going the way you want it too. You want the board to be stiff (snicker, giggle) so it is easier to break. This is why you want the holder or surface to be solid to aid you in breaking the board. A neat trick is to throw a board into the air and break it with a punch, open hand strike, etc. This way you know you are focusing as no one is holding the board for you. I think breaking is a good confidence builder and shows what Robinf said, you can't hold back or you may hurt yourself. Other than that...well it looks cool. I don't do it that much. Same thing goes for breaking cinderblock and stuff, looks neat but?

Sparring: Well, if you have good control you can punch out (as Ryu has said before I believe) and hit your target with no force even though you were throwing your punch (or kick, elbow, open hand, back hand, etc.) at full speed. If you can do that, you don't need pads for you. You can learn to train this, and hopefully your partner(s) learn this too. This is another neat trick to scare opponents or would be attackers, but you have to be prepared to defend yourself should it not work. The thing I always hated was 1/2 the stuff I learned I can't use in sparring (I can't elbow to the head, break knees, strike at the neck, hit the groin, etc.) without modifiying the attacks/defenses/counter attacks. I believe sparring is great, but you should also practice in the air or against objects techniques you can't do while sparring so you don't lose your edge.

Just some thoughts

Enjoy life, have fun...make every day your best (you don't get a do over).

Aramus
12-18-2001, 03:50 PM
It's offical, I was suppose to put this under a thread but didn't...darn it, can some one save me?

Oh, and it's offical...I goofed. Stupid brain.

Mr Nunchaku
12-19-2001, 12:45 AM
lol, that's ok. At first I thought you were steeling a topic.

DelicateSound
12-19-2001, 12:01 PM
Aramus, do NOT expose your idiocy to the world. Read the post entitled "Yeah" and see the sh*t I got. It was horrible....... I tell you ............. just horrible. They called me names and everything....... (sniff) ...........