PDA

View Full Version : the " chui nau " technique of choy lay fut

RAIN
12-18-2001, 07:17 PM
anybody can tell his fighting experiences using chui nau ( the bridge technique called anchor hand ) of CLF ?
when i'd starting to use the parring i'd was surprised for so great defense . i'd becoming very addictive to chui nau . the others styles i know ( hung gar and lama pai ) have a great number of defenses , but this simple hand movement becoming one of my favorites in san sou fighting or street fighting .

12-19-2001, 09:41 AM
Vey Simple, Very Effective.
Just like my sifu always says,"All you need is one devastating technique that works for you and you can be a unbeatable fighter"

Fu-Pow
12-19-2001, 10:39 AM
Great thing about Chun Na (La) is that it can be used for a variety of things.

1) Blocking
2) Poking the eye w/ the thumb
3) Grabbing the throat
4) Trapping your opponents arm

It really "opens up" your opponent too.

RAIN
12-19-2001, 07:46 PM
the trnslation of chun na or chuin na is anchor hand ?
why you 'd wrote ( la ) fu pow ?

Charp Chui
12-19-2001, 09:35 PM
Are you from the Buk Sing branch?

CLFNole
12-20-2001, 08:28 AM
Cheun la is another way to say it. This is the name Lee Koon Hung used when he taught it. It can also translate into block grab as this is a use for it. Parry then slide down the arm and grab.

Peace.

12-20-2001, 09:42 AM
Charp Chui
Yes I am Buk Sing, I study with Master Lacey out of the East Bay,CA. Who Do you study with?

Shaolin36

Fu-Pow
12-20-2001, 11:40 AM
"la" and "na" mean the same thing.

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin/char.cgi?62FF

na4 la4 [1] [v] take; hold in one's hand; grasp [2] with [3] [v] arrest; apprehend; capture [4] [v] use; employ (a method, device, etc) [5] to be confirmed or restrained

RAIN
12-20-2001, 08:17 PM
hey shaolin 36 i got a inside kung fu magazine from june 1991 with a article of master lacey about charp choy and flyng charp choy .

12-21-2001, 11:11 AM
Rain
Is there anyway you can scan and send it to me. We definately concentrate on that technique during padwork. I can post my email address if you are able to. I would be most appreciative.

Shaolin36

BTW, what branch of CLF do you study.

12-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Hey Charp Chui

Who teaches under Buk Sing in Idaho?

Charp Chui
12-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Shaolin36

My Si-Fu was a man named Richard Yeend who lived in Spokane Washington, when he met his Si-Fu by the name of Stan Mak who had migrated here from Hong Kong to attend school at the University. Stan Mak did his training under Tam Fei Pang, the son of Tam Sam.

Is your Si-Fu Vince or Dave Lacey? How long have you been with them?

12-26-2001, 10:18 AM
My sifu is Dave Lacey, I have studied for a couple of years. How long have you studied?CC

Charp Chui
12-28-2001, 08:34 PM
I have studied Martial Arts for a little over 20 years. My main system is Buk Sing, which I have been actively involved with for 18 of those years.

Concerning Si-Fu Dave Lacey, I am finally in the midst of dropping him a letter that I have been meaning to write for some time, but with work and the holidays being as such, I have not had the time. I have actually been maintaining a friendly correspondence with one of your classmates whom Si-Fu Dave Lacey instructed to get a hold of me a few months back when I first attempted to call him at his gwoon.

I have a question. Was it you (?) that had posted once concerning a stationary Internal set, that you thought was Choy Lay Fut?

12-31-2001, 10:01 AM
Charp Choi, Yes that was me inquiring about the stationay set involving numerous palm strikes. I have learned since then it is a set from Chow Gar called Fu Pow3, i think. There are 3 or 4 sets similiar to this in the Chow Gar system. Regarding contacting Sifu, It was not me that you have been interacting with in regards to contacting Sifu. But I am sure I know which brother you are speaking about. He had mentioned to me that he was contacting someone from you parts.

What is the purpose of you "getting in touch" if you dont mind me asking. History?

Shaolin36

buksing_king
01-01-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey there charp chui

It is nice to know of someone out there who studies the exact same art as i do

I study in The australian branch of choy lay fut buk sing under vicent cordiou and george ...... vince lacey and his son shane recently visited us to show us the " snake form"

Anyways i don't know if you guys have sashes in america but i am upto green at the moment ... mastered doon da and all that stuff ........ can you please describe the technique to me as my manderin comprehension isn;t that good

k-no
01-01-2002, 02:49 PM
I can't tell who you are from your profile. Hit me up at flip_dragon@hotmail.com and holler. If you train with Sifu Lei Dai Wei, I may be your si-hing, or vice versa. Here's a hint...I haven't been training with the boys for a while. Nickname is "Kid", you'd know me by my real name. Holler at me and I'll talk to ya soon. By the way, I uploaded those new pics in, ya like em? I'll be training with you all again hopefully soon enough, I really have my mind set on competing in the ring if injuries and such don't dog me out like always.

k

Charp Chui
01-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Hello...Yes I am a practitioner of the Buk Sing system, but I am from the Tam Fei Pang branch. Under my Si-Fu, we did not adopt a belt/sash ranking system, but kept with the original
student-disciple-teacher-Instructor levels.

In my branch, we also do not have any Bak Siu Lum forms, which are rather intrinsic from it's lineal descent but not exclusive in being Buk Sing as you are aware. I have known that other branches of Buk Sing do posess core Bak Siu Lum sets as Tuin Da as you have described. I have to confess, that my Mandarin and Cantonese are not that great either. But if I am not mistaken, Tuin Da is the "short strike" Kuen in Bak Siu Lum.

Correct me if I maybe mistaken, but I have also heard that Si-Fu Vince Lacey's lineage also has the BSL Moi Fa form as well (?) Are there any other Bak Siu Lum sets that you are cognizant of within your branch?

Charp Chui
01-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Yes...I am sure that your Buk Sing brother whom you are referring to is that one whom I have been conversing with over e-mail. I had originally called the school's number posted on Sifu Dave Lacey's pantherfist.com web-page to talk with him. Instead I got the school's voice-mail and I left a message saying who I am and what branch I came from and also left them my e-mail in case Si-Fu Dave Lacey would prefer to contact me that way. Your classmate was instructed by your Si-Fu to contact me (via e-mail was the route) as he was wanting to know any general info about existing branches in Buk Sing.

My purpose for contacting the Lacey's was an attempt to acquire any information they knew about Tam Fei Pang and general issues in regards to Buk Sing.

Like I mentioned before, I have been meaning to drop him a letter explaining more of these and such things, but the holiday season, work, and family coming in from out of town has delayed this for the time being. But I still plan on doing it soon. I just would like to make it more formal out of respect.

Concerning the stationary internal Choy Lay Fut set that you had mentioned. The reason for my curioisty in this, is because we have one also. I was attemtping to find out more on the origin of this rather unique pattern within our lineage, and have not been able to find any answers. The techniques within the set definitely have Choy Lay Fut emphasis though (i.e. Jop Sau, Poon Kiu, Chiuns). The set is called "Sup Chi Sao" and it is not to be confused with "Sup Ji Kuen" as found within Buk Sing.

I was under the impression that the Chow Gar (Jow Ga) system had 5 hand forms...only(?) So are there more than one stationary hand set within Chow Gar?

01-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Charp Chui,
I am not familiar with Tam Fei Pang. Sifu has not discussed that with us(Unless that is his chinese name and I know his english name?) Im sure he knows, he knows alll about the history.

Regarding the Chow Gar sets, thats sounds right, there about 5 of the Fu-Pow sets and sifu is teaching us one of them, it is very practical and the techniques are all applicable.

I will let you and my CLF brother work out the contacting details being as though youu are already in process. I will mention it to him tonight at class.

Take care,

Shaolin36

Charp Chui
01-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Shaolin36,
Tam Fei Pang is the son of Tam Sam. I myself do not know what his english name was, or if he ever had one. Such questions like these maybe answered by Si-Fu Lacey.

I know that the Lacey's incorporate the Chow Gar within the Buk Sing curriculum. I myself have seen very little Chow Gar. But I am curious to know if Si-Fu Lacey teaches the Chow Gar/Bak Siu Lum sets first before one begins the Buk Sing sets?

As you are probably aware, the Buk Sing sets are traditionally small in "number" but not necessarliy in "length". We have no Buk Sing weaponry. The emphasis is primarily an open hand combat system.

Thanks for passing on the message.

Will chat with you again...

Charp-Chui

01-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Charp Chui,

I am not at liberty to talk about Sifu Lacey's curriculum, but in a vague sense, we do learn Buk Sing sets first.

Sorry, but I do not feel it is in my authority to discuss that on a detailed level.

Thank you for the comments and I still havent seen my CLF brother that you are corresponding with. I will mention to him when I do.

Thank you,

Shaolin36

Charp Chui
01-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Shaolin36,

No problem. I know how particular the Lacey's are about disclosing information, and you should respect those wishes of your Si-Fu. I know it is often hard to draw the line sometimes as to where particular info would be classified as "exposure" vs. general conversational information. In any case, Si-Fu Lacey ( as well as other Si-Fu) has his/their reasons and I equally respect that, and I wouldn't want you to go against his wishes. He's got good reasons for it.

On the other hand, one misfortune that this can create, is that it does not demonstrate tighter circles of trust within the Buk Sing branches themselves. But still, I can see this being hard to do seeing that we don't always know who is on the other side of the computer if words themselves were to expose too much. But that's my opinion. I have worked very hard in just obtaining general research information, and that in itself has been an arduous task. One Si-Fu under Lai Hung told me basically that this is one of the most difficult tasks to do within the Buk Sing branches. And he has been more than right. As a matter of fact, the Lai Hung school won't even make any comment in regards to issues that don't even reflect on them...go figure.

Nonetheless, that's the way it is, and I seriously doubt that's gonna change any time soon.

Your Buk Sing Bro dropped me an e-mail the other day and said that he was going to be out of town for a while. But if you do get the chance on seeing him, tell him "Hi" for me, and I appreciate your willingness to pass on the message for me.

And by the way, at any time you would like to drop me a line directly, feel free: ChanGongSan@aol.com

Take Care...

Charp Chui

anton
01-03-2002, 06:26 PM
WOOOOW!!!
I trained under Sifu Dave Lacey in Melbourne when I was younger (http://www.pantherfist.com/melbourneclass.html -- I'm the guy on the far right). I still remember and am grateful for the quality of the traditional training methods Sifu used to use. I haven't done any martial arts for several years now, but am thinking of taking it up again.
I came across this board by accident and you can imagine my surprise to find more of Sifu Lacey's students online.

Does he still say "tuck your ass in you lazy bum!!!" and stuff like that?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you said hello to Sifu for me and passed on my best wishes for Sifu and his school in the new year next time you see him.

RAIN
01-03-2002, 08:56 PM
shaolin 36 . --- when i 'll can fixed my scanner i'll going tio send you the article of inside kung fu of sifu lacey's charp choy .
is a promese .

anton
01-03-2002, 09:27 PM
I've got a few articles about Dave Lacey, I'll see if i can get them scanned. When I do I'll let you guys know.

Charp Chui
01-03-2002, 11:19 PM
RAIN and anton

I would be interested in obtaining a copy of those articles if you guys would not mind. My e-mail: ChanGongSan@aol.com

This would be great. I used to have that '91 edition Inside Kung-Fu article on the Lacey's. I'm sure I have it somewhere, but just have been unable to find it.

Much appreciated...

Charp-Chui

k-no
01-04-2002, 07:34 AM
Anton,

LOL. I spent quite a great deal of time with Master Lacey. I don't see him as often since I am working on my ring skills, but I still see him and plan on training with him and consider him as one of my dearest friends and mentor. Your "tuck your ass in you lazy bum!" was quite often directed to me. He mellowed out a bit through the years but seemed to pick up a new brand of crazy as of late. He always tells me "You'll never find another sifu as crazy as me." Well he's right, he's one of a kind.

k

01-04-2002, 09:06 AM
All,
Thank you for your kind words about Sifu!

Rain, If you do come across that article my email is BigDballin@aol.com I really appreciate it.

Antotn, If indeed that is your real name(I will use the piucture as reference) I will tell Sifu you send your regards.

K-No, Ill be seeing you at the training hall soon.

Charp Chui- Thank you for your kind words and understanding of my position. I will definately pass on the message to my Bro.

I will be in Hawaii for the next 10 days catching some R&R,

Take Care All,

Aloha!

Shaolin36

k-no
01-04-2002, 09:51 AM
Shaolin36, Bon Voyage bro, get at some of those hula girls and give 'em the ol' Gwa Sow Charp for me, and as sifu says "Beware the deadliest strike of all, the Beavah Claw!"

k

anton
01-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks Shaolin36, hope sifu still remembers who I am - yeah everyone at the gwoon used to calll me Anton - although Sifu had a few nick names he gave me cos of my Russian background (eg. Rasputin, Liniviy - 'lazy').

lol @ "Beaver claw"... that used to be a classic. I remember Sifu going through a form with me on a Saturday and we came to this bit where you do those continuous circular pun kiu's (spelling??) - anyway sifu goes, "what the hell is that? Bigger movements you lazy bum!..... imagine you're massaging a girls tits, not a small girl, we're talking Dolly Parton here - there's a handful!"
I was only about 13 or 14 at the time and could hardly practice cos I was laughing my ass off.

The way he used to promptly deal with smartasses and disrespectful d|ckheads that used to come in was funny as well (I heard he chased some schmuck across the street with a Kwondo once!).

Aahh.. memories...

What forms is Sifu teaching you these days? I knew about 5 but can't even remember the names properly any more. I remember there was:
'Duen Da'
'Siu (or was it 'Say') Ping Kuen'
'Teet Jeet Kuen'
'Siu Sub Chi' (I think this was the last one I learned)