PDA

View Full Version : Bruce lee's Jeet Kune Do

Shaolindynasty
12-18-2001, 08:06 PM
I was a suncoast video today and bought a video with this title for $7. It is narrated by Lee and has instruction from Dan Inasanto on it. It's not entirely a technique intructional video though, alot of it is philosophical(don't worry I am getting to my point). While they explain stuff they show footage of Bruce, not movie stuff but home video. What I saw on that tape was an extremely deep person and and incredible martial artist. There has been alot of negativity on these boards about him lately. Personally I think some people misunderstand him and his message about "non classical" MA or they are just jealous. I'll admit I had my fill of him for awhile but his art and ability is always somthing I go back to and admire. He was a great MA it shows in every movement he does. So consider this my tribute post to him, anyway the real point I originally intened was to say this is a great video especially for $7!

MightyB
12-19-2001, 07:27 AM
I saw the same thing, bought it at Walmart for $10.

I've read some of his stuff and generally liked where he was going with his martial philosophy. It wasn't until I saw the footage of Inasanto doing footwork that I realized how phenomonal a martial artist Bruce Lee must have been. You can't fake good footwork and balance, Inasanto was effortlessy moving in all directions.

txwingchun
12-19-2001, 10:51 AM
what was the name of the dvd?

MightyB
12-19-2001, 10:56 AM
I don't have it in front of me because I'm at work, but I believe that it's just called "Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do".

Shaolindynasty
12-19-2001, 01:45 PM
Yep that's it. I got it on VHS I don't know if it's out on DVD. I was really impressed by the relaxation BL had in all his movement. The naturalness of his movement shows the mark of a good martial artist. I don't really get it when people on this board put him down but it usually comes from people getting sick of him, I mean those interviews of his barber published in IKF took it too far. I still identifiy with his philosophy even though what I practice isn't really similar to BL Jeet Kune Do at all. What I really liked on the video was the comment by Brandon lee about him practiceing "his interpertation" of Jeet Kune Do, since he was trained in his fathers concepts but each persons style is different. When you get down to it the philosophy of JKD isn't to down tradition but yet don't be traditional for the sake of being traditional. That is a strong martial belief of mine.

LEGEND
12-19-2001, 04:17 PM
I have this on DVD...it's is a COACHING session! Most of the time he's coaching actor COBURN in how to move and kick. COBURN is a horrible athlete! At one point he's teaching some MOVIE stuff( spinning back kicks etc ). There are some old footage of him working the heavy bag. Notice he practives straight hard punching on a CANVAS BAG! He's trying to PUNCH thru the bag. Very powerful stuff! Also he and Ted Wong were doing footwork drills...
Ted was holding a focus mitt...while Bruce at a distance was trying to hook kick it.
You don't see PERFECTION here folks...
cause Ted is trying to move away from BRUCE fast...and sometime BRUCE misses!
Also Bruce is practicing running sidekicks with Herb Jackson. In a couple of takes...it shows Bruce frustration and perfectionist mentality when he shakes his head getting upset at himself for not being accurate or powerful enuf. This is very humanizing tape on BRUCE before Bruce became famous in HK. This was filmed during Bruce streetfighting venture into the mma. There are a few old WING CHUN footage...one where Bruce demo. chi sao with Taky Kimura and one wearing a traditional chinese outfit practicing a tech over and over and over again!

Shaolindynasty
12-19-2001, 09:55 PM
Yeah it was very humanizing. I especially like the part where it shows him doing Nunchuk during Game of death and messing up with an "I suck" look on his face! I saw alot of attitude in BL in that video that I could identify with. In this video you don't get Bruce Lee the invincible you get Bruce Lee the man.

Ryu
12-19-2001, 10:36 PM
:)

Shaolindynasty
12-19-2001, 10:40 PM
Hey Ryu call Bruce and tell him there are finally people down here that see him as a real human being(just like he wanted).;)

Ryu
12-19-2001, 11:02 PM
He didn't hang up on me this time! :D

Ryu

MightyB
12-20-2001, 07:17 AM
There's a picture of Bruce Lee dressed in what looks like a "Venom" uniform. He's got studded wristbands on and he has long hair. Does anybody know what that's from? I've seen it on posters and t-shirts. I don't recall him dressed like that in any movie...

Just wondering--- was there another movie in the works when he died that that's a publicity photo from?

LEGEND
12-20-2001, 09:53 AM
Mighty B....when he was in HK in 1971 he took some of these pics thru GOLDEN HARVEST...at which point they wanted him to do studio shots...of him in TRADITION CHINESE GARB. Golden Harvest was desperate and wanted to find an actor immediately. This was during the time the SHAW BROs. film were dominating most of HK films...movies like SNAKE, CENTREPID, DRAGON etc...of course then BRUCE lit it up with the blood thirsty action...after Bruce died...Jackie came in with his comedy and Jet came in with his matrix wire act...then Chow Yun Fat and John Woo brotherhood bloodshed flicks...

straightblast5
12-20-2001, 03:28 PM
Just went and picked up the tape. It’s pretty good, I'm glad I read about it here. I would have never bought it if I hadn't read some of the posts on this thread, considering the suspiciously low price and cheesy packaging. 7 bucks, good deal :)

-Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)