PDA

View Full Version : l carnitine

Kiasyd
12-19-2001, 05:47 PM
Hi!

Anyone here know some real facts about l-carnitine? Supposedly it is a great supplement that works as a fat burner. I'm wondering if anyone ever tried it?

A friend of mine was asking me this info so I thought about asking here :)

-- Kiasyd

Brett Again
12-20-2001, 06:43 AM
I've read too many opposing views to have an opinion. Some magazines definitively state that there is hard scientific evident it increases fat loss. Others definitively state that there is NO scientific evidence to back up this claim. Good luck!!!

hkphooey
12-20-2001, 09:06 AM
one thing you'll find out about me as i post things is that i frequently use my body as a test tube...within limits, of course...

i've used l-carnitine. i can't give you hard quantifiable data, but my perception is that it worked in some way. it makes sense biochemically i suppose. if the fat can't be transported in to the cell it's never going to be used for fuel.

l-carnitine is part of my on-going theory regarding the differences between vegetarian and non-vegetarian athletes. it's a work in progress, and having been a carnivore growing up and then a vegetarian for the last 8 years (although i did add fish back in about a year ago...another experiment), i feel i'm starting to put some things together.

and one thing to keep in mind...my bodyfat has been under 10% for a long time, so the results i had using l-carnitine where probably marginal in comparison.

Kiasyd
12-20-2001, 02:14 PM
Hmm... Thanks for your answers... IŽll do some extra search on internet too. If I find something interesting, IŽll post it here.

-- Kiasyd

Xebsball
12-20-2001, 02:48 PM
I think the best answer is still proper diet and doing exercises.

I just moved my fat ass to the gym to do 1 hour cardio (5 times a week) cos my doctor said so. I lack "good colestherol", whatever the technical term for that is, so i have "Hypo-something"...

hkphooey
12-20-2001, 03:26 PM
xebsball

i agree. diet and exercise. but my own personal experience has led me to realize that many people still have deficiences of one type or another. if one didn't have enough of an amino acid that is responsible for transporting fat in to the cell to be burned as fuel (it can't get there all by itself), then even if you have all the fat in the world, you're body not always going to us IT as the first fuel source. you know??

HDL, by the way. the "good cholesterol".

and a serious congrats on doing 1 hour of cardio 5 times a week. wow. make sure at least a couple of them are of a high(er) intensity. the old thinking of moderate heart-rate for long periods of time is turning out to be not necessarily the best form of cardio afterall. good luck with your hypolipidemia, and don't forget the RED WINE (another thing suspected to raise your HDL)!!

Kiasyd
12-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Also, 100% olive oil is good in HDL terms too :)

-- Kiasyd