PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good book???

Mister Hansome
12-19-2001, 11:43 PM
:D :D :D

What book would be the best? Which book has the most insight and holds no secrets back? Which book would you recommend most dearly to anyone here? What's your favorite book? What book is best used to guide you through practise? Which book explains the mov'ts with the most detail and simplisity to ensure no mistake in practice or at least understanding, in case of a fatal mistake of some sort? Which book is the most clear and correct in its ideology according to the old practices of internal arts and yet explains the concepts so clearly and simple that a child could understand?

I am only asking this question because many post have been posted asking which book to recommend and everyone seem to have a recommendation without posting a reason why they recommended the book. Which book would be the abosutely most complete and yet simplest to understand? Who would be the author and practitioner with the most credibility? What books completely explain Zhan Zhuang and its applications in Qi Gong or any other genre of internal arts?

Some people recommend books like 'Dao of Taijiquan' by Dr.Juo
and state that its a popular book, being popular doesn't make a book credible. Please give insight on the credibility of the writers and the background info. My friend has ' The Way of Energy' by Lam Kam Chuen, is that actually any good. He recommends it to me because the diagrams are 'cool', yeah that really makes me want to by it now, not!

Oh and ignore the name and such, it was my login name before the move when you got to pick a different name for your identification to other members, man do i regret registering in this name now, HAHAHA! Ignore the status too, its just a joke! Someone already accused me of trolling, oh well!

I am a super amatuer and i have a question; what is fa-jing and what is jing. Is it Tai Chi and Chi, and can they be used interchangebly?

I was Blue Man, so call me Blue Man!!! Mister Hansome is just to cheesy!!!

Ka
12-20-2001, 04:19 AM
Don't think you will ever find the best or simplest book,but I can recommend Tao of YiQuan by Jan Diepersloot If you can lend it from someone and check it out,its a good read. :cool:

Mojo
12-20-2001, 02:41 PM
The best book I've seen lately is 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu the Masters Text' by Gene Simco.
It goes in depth on bjj techniques like no other book does.
You can order it at www.jiu-jitsu.net

Sum Guye
12-20-2001, 03:23 PM
Of the books I've read regarding Internal arts, Tim Cartmell has the market cornered as far as holding nothing back and explaining things well.

Effortless Combat Throws and the Nei Gong book by him and
Dan Miller are excellent.

Jing= trained structure within movement
(example... a trained swimmer your exact size and weight
can out swim you, using less energy because they've
trained their bodies to maximize effort).

Fa-Jing= emitting energy through the movement
(example.... a good baseball pitcher 'fa-jings' as he
lets go of the ball. the way his body moves is 'jing'
the actual release of force (letting the ball fly) is fa-jing).

Tai Chi is actually 'Tai Ji' (Chi and Ji are not interchangable).

'Chi' in Chinese is used to describe numerous types of 'energy'.
As in English we might say someone is 'energetic' or 'effervecent'
it's ways of saying they have certian energy. When you say
a girl is spunky... it really has no meaning... but everyone knows
what you mean. Its use in Chinese varies from saying a beautiful day has good 'chi' to explaining the functions and of the central nervous system and blood flow. (some teachers will tell you that you're hands will warm up with chi after doing certain excersies, others will simply say that the blood is flowing well).

Peace love and understanding,
Shane

Mister Hansome
12-20-2001, 04:12 PM

Ok, if you do not know what is the best; you can suggest the book you seem to be the best you have read and most simple and holds back nothing and holds back no secrets about fa-jing and generating and storing chi.

Thank you to all who have posted, and to those who have not please do.

Maybe i should change the status, nah.

This is surprising, but i just found out, from an old friend, that Harvard (yes the internationally reknown university in Boston, i think) is easy!!! She says that their is less stress and less of a work load!!! Amazing i said!!! Maybe i should plan out a frat house for the future for Harvard!!! Mooching and borrowing will be the theme. But then again my high school is considered to be pretty good. Maybe all those I.B. courses she took during the high school years was a burden and that made Harvard childs play. IF THAT IS TRUE, I AM SO GOING TO HARVARD!!! (after i find the funds of course)

Just sharing that part!!!

Kumkuat
12-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Sum Guye

Tai Chi is actually 'Tai Ji' (Chi and Ji are not interchangable).

depends on the romanization. 'tai chi' is gade-wiles and 'tai ji' is pinyin. I don't know why English speakers use the gade-wiles anyway, it is pronouced nothing like it's spelled. Anyway, pinyin is used in China and it is the most accurate for people who speak English. I don't know much about gade-wiles except chi na is qinna, chi gong is qigong, sezchuan is sichuan, and so on.

[Censored]
12-20-2001, 04:53 PM
...He recommends it to me because the diagrams are 'cool', yeah that really makes me want to by it now, not!

You are asking for help. Take whatever you get and say thank you. :rolleyes:

I liked "Qigong Enlightenment", it is packed with interesting information. And it is cool.

Sum Guye
12-20-2001, 05:35 PM
but if you ask a Chinese person about the martial art,
the word they say is 'Tai Ji' if you ask the same person
about the types of energy, they'll use 'Chi'

With or without romanization, the two are not interchangeable.

Water Dragon
12-20-2001, 05:42 PM
I like Cartmell's books.

I also like Yang Jwing-Ming's chin-na stuff. You will need to be somewhat advanced to get a lot out of it though. There's a lot he doesn't cover.

I checked out Park Bok Nam's first one, but couldn't make an educated critique of it. Looked good though.

Believe it or not, Dillman's stuff is good if you can understand that you need to have fighting ability to even try and pull it off.

If you don't have a teacher and are going exclusively off books & video, Karate or Muay Thai. The mechanics and principles are easier to grasp.

Kumkuat
12-21-2001, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Sum Guye
but if you ask a Chinese person about the martial art,
the word they say is 'Tai Ji' if you ask the same person
about the types of energy, they'll use 'Chi'

With or without romanization, the two are not interchangeable.

yeah, i know. wade giles' 'tai chi' is really pronouced 'tai ji' in their system. I think it's for porteguese speakers or something.