PDA

View Full Version : Of grappling dummies and wooden man dummies

Ryu
12-20-2001, 02:57 AM
One of the tools that I have felt has really helped me in my grappling, conditioning, technique, and even sparring strategies has been my grappling dummies. I usually train with one for an hour or two every night among other things. I believe it helps me in my movement on the ground, techical repitition of moves, balance and centering, and full power ground and pound. Now obviously you've got to spar with live opponents, that's a given, and anyone who points that out should be banned from the forum :D
Seriously though, I feel the grappling dummy has a lot of good qualities, and there are many NHB champs who train with them too (Mark Coleman, Dan Severn)
I wanted to make the connection with the wing chun wooden man dummy. I know for a fact that many people on this board train with the wooden dummy, and I'm guessing it gives the practitioner the same kinds of benefits? How large a role does the wooden man dummy play in wing chun or any other art of kung fu??

Ryu

lightfoot
12-20-2001, 03:21 AM
This is OT, but is it possible to make a grappling dummY? The ones I've seen for sale in the UK are really expensive, (£300-£400) and after my bike fiasco I don't think 'er indoors will appreciate me spending this kind of money.