PDA

View Full Version : I need help with this

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 03:40 AM
I was looking at this school. It says it teaches Tang Shou Tao,Hsing-I,and Chi Na. What are these styles and and there descriptions? I think Chi Na is healing. But other than that I'm absolutely clueless.

lightfoot
12-20-2001, 04:00 AM
Chin Na is to do with joint locks. Whether it's a facet of different styles or a style unto itself I'll leave to someone more knowledgeable

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 04:06 AM
In the description it mentioned Tai Chi. So automatically I thought this had to do with internal stuff, and chi.

Xebsball
12-20-2001, 05:07 AM
Hsing-I (also known as Xying Yi Quan) is a internal style, very cool.

http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan

Chin Na is joint locking like lightfoot said.

xiong
12-20-2001, 08:35 AM
Tang Shou Tao: I've never heard of it but my guess is that they are saying Tang (dynasty) Hand Way.

Hsing I (Xing Yi): is an internal style that is very direct and agressive. I believe the evil Jet Li uses it in The One, but I have not seen the movie. I am starting to learn some at school and it is pretty cool.

Chin Na: is the joint manipulation techniques. I don't believe that it is a style in and of itself but is a part of all CMA. It is taught as the self defense portion of many classes. I believe that Eagle Claw is one of the styles that is the most famous for it's Chin Na.

Mojo
12-20-2001, 08:46 AM
I think this school would be associated with the style of Hsing-I that Hsu Hong-chi taught in Taiwan.
One of his oldest students, Dale Shiginaga, lives and teaches in Las Vegas. So this school would be one of his, or his students.
His Hsing-I is quite good, I know you won't be dissapointed if you join there.

Brett Again
12-20-2001, 08:49 AM
Eagle Claw is known for its chin na... but chin na ("seize and control" ) is found in most (all?) CMA. To say thay teach hsing-i AND chin na is like saying they teach hsing-i AND kicking. Could still be a good school just trying to "flesh out" their sign copy.

Felipe Bido
12-20-2001, 09:05 AM
Mojo is correct

CrushingFist
12-20-2001, 01:14 PM
chin na does have to deal with internal, at a the basic level, it's all external strength of the forearms and fingers when actually applying the grab, but at a higher level, chi gong is done and internal techniques used to make the grabing a lot stronger than something external can ever produce.

as for xing-yi, well, xing-yi is one of the 3 most popular internals tyles.

Xebsball
12-20-2001, 02:13 PM
I agree with Crushing's stuff, also with Chin Na you block the chi passage by attacking certain pressure points.

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 06:19 PM
Very interesting. I'm considering this school.

Yung Apprentice
12-21-2001, 07:03 AM
So Hsing-I is internal. So they teach about chi and things like that? Is it useful in defending yourself? I called and one of the guys there said they teach iron palm and iron body when you advance.(which intrigued me) What are the other two famous internal styles?

Xebsball
12-21-2001, 07:21 AM
Well the 3 most famous internal are
Xing Yi Quan
Tai Ji Quan (aka Tai Chi Chuan)
Bagua Zhang

They do teach "chi related stuff", it seems very usefull becouse the moves arent too complicated and are very powerfull, but just like any martial art you have to work to achive the best your style have to offer.

Iron Palm its about developing very powerfull palm strike, it can be internal or external. I have learned a internal one, but due to laziness im not praticing right now :D

Iron Body its about being able to take hits and get much less damage or even no damage depending on your skill and the attackers power.