PDA

View Full Version : Sin Kwan The'

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 04:04 AM
Does anyone know much about him? Here in Las Vegas it's one of his many schools. David and Sharon Soard run the place. Anyone have info on them? It's a fukien shaolin school I think..Any who heres the website

www.shaolinlasvegas.com

I just want to here your opinion on their web site,also I want to know what you think of these ppl, what you've heard or know about them, if you think this maybe a good school or not.Thank you

Fish of Fury
12-20-2001, 04:09 AM
Oh, boy!
everyone hang onto something...

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 04:12 AM
Is he no good?

Crimson Phoenix
12-20-2001, 04:17 AM
The great specter of Shaolin-Do has struck the forum again :)

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 04:25 AM
Specter,hahahaha, I actually had to go and look that one UP!!! But what do mean by that. He dosen't exist or something? Are his schools no good? :D

Crimson Phoenix
12-20-2001, 04:28 AM
Yung...uuhhhh...go to the Shaolin forum, then read the huge topic about "Shaolin too traditionnal"...it's worth a thousand explanations of what the feeling towards SD is here...
I...gggoooott...to....rreeessssiiiiiiiiisssssstttt t...can't...can't...talk about...SSSSSSDDDDDDDDDD

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 04:28 AM
But seriously guys I need a straight answer, because I was actually considering this place. Please help. Thank you.

jon
12-20-2001, 04:38 AM
If this is not a troll which im doubting, ill just tell it like it is...
Shaolin Do has a very bad name among traditional shaolin schools. Mainly due to there history looking very shaky.
I would break it down like this... If you want to be sure your learning proper Shaolin kung fu then stay away.
If you dont care about the politics and want to just learn something you can use and enjoy, then just go and see for yourself. If there is something there you want to learn then stay there.
One thing i will say without treading to much on anyones toes...
Traditional shaolin schools generaly dont look like SD and dont train like SD make that of it what you will.
Good luck on your search.

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 05:02 AM
I just finished reading half of the post and it was enuff for me. I won't be going there at all. Plus for the simple fact I don't want Wushu Chick to come down and have to put the woop on me. ( although that might be fun ) But I do take offense to her Nevada comment. In deffense of Las Vegas prostitution is only legal in a little city about an hour and a half away !

Jaguar Wong
12-20-2001, 05:25 PM
I don't know much about the school/style's effectiveness, but the name has some bad luggage that it's carrying around. There are some good kung fu instructors here in Vegas (some have schools, some just teach as a side thing). I have met and trained with some talented guys, and in general Kung Fu in vegas tends to be a nice little friendly community. I don't really hear anything bad being said about the different sifus. In fact, I know people that train from several of them.

I used to train at the Lohan School of Shaolin, but now it's more like hanging out every once and a while to spar (time tends to disappear when you're paying a mortgage :) ). Even though the school is leaning more toward the commercial side, and I don't really like the feel of the new generation, you can still find some rough and tumble guys that train seriously, and you can learn some good stuff, as long as you stay away from crappy politics, and cliques. Just go there to do your thing, and treat everyone with the same respect, no matter what you heard from "a friend of a friend".

I would prefer a different setting now, but I have no choice, so I'm kind of off doing my own thing, even though I'm still good friends with my Sifu, and his school. I don't teach, or train there anymore, but he lets us use the place when it's free. It's not the best kung fu school in the country, but there are some good fighters there, and it doesn't have the baggage that the Shaolin-do name has.

*I don't mean any disrespect towards Shaolin-do, because I've only trained with one person from that style/system (he's at the Lohan School now). I don't know if their stuff works or not...I never bothered to "test" it. I have too many other things to worry about.

Yung Apprentice
12-20-2001, 06:13 PM
The Lohan school was the school that I 'm looking at the most. I got a recommendation already from someone from this board.(actually a couple) I really would like to study mantis kung fu. I think this place the Lohan school is the only place in town that teaches mantis.Have you heard any other schools here who teach an external form of mantis? I'm also interested in dragon,white crane,tiger styles, and iron palm/fist and iron body tecniques. But mantis is at the top of my list. Do you know of any other schools here Jaguar Wong that teach these?

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 10:35 PM
When did i make a comment about prostitution?? HMMMMM...don't remember that one!! I have been to Vegas...LOVE THE PLACE....But PLEASE...Lets drop all the Sin The' Stuff....

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 10:46 PM
LOL...uh, found it....!!!!!! No harm meant...just lashing out at a moronic statement!! Sorry!

Yung Apprentice
12-21-2001, 06:44 AM
No apologies needed. Just next time your in town,look me up. Ya know. ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr! YEAH BABY!!! (once again just joking, please don't hurt me!)

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM on second thought PLEASE...... DO HURT ME!!!heeheeheehee

Colin
12-21-2001, 09:14 AM
So this "Shao-lin" as per the site"shaolinlasvegas", is it the same as shaolin-do?
Coz i looked all around the site and I couldn't actually see any reference to real kung fu, or any picture that shows anyone doing any kung fu. Just a load of people in karate suits sporting very "high" grades, standing around not doing much!
Is this some sort of joke, because it looks like a load of sh!te to me.......

C....

Jaguar Wong
12-21-2001, 09:39 AM
Colin,
Yes, they are a Shaolin-Do school, but like I said, I have nothing against them, since they don't run around town talking trash about other schools, so I won't comment on their skills. It just looks a little shady, that's all. ;)

Yung Apprentice,
Yes, the Sifu there teaches Mantis, as well as Southern and Northern Shaolin. The southern is where you'll learn the specific sets for the five animals (and five families if you inquire about it). But the "essence" of the five animals is basically in both the Northern and Southern. He also teaches Iron Body, and Iron Palm (the Iron body/Golden Bell is from his Hsing I lineage, the same one as Mike Patterson, but I don't remember where his Iron Palm is from). I've been through the beginning of both of them (ie: the first 100 days), but I didn't like the idea behind Iron Palm (it's like walking around with a sharp knife with no reason to stab anyone :p ), and I was just too lazy to continue with Iron Body. Either that, or real life caught up, I don't remember.

If you do go to that school, and you hear a lot of stuff about "the Twins" (me and Tigerstyle), don't belive the hype. We're not that bad. ;)

There is also a good Wing Chun teacher, but he no longer has a school, but he's one of the toughest (and nicest) SOB's in town. Then there are a couple of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut sifus that are pretty good too. I used to spar with one of them all the time (it was pretty one sided, because I couldn't handle his power and aggressiveness), but the other one (the smaller guy), just scares me, so I never really "touched hands". Both are from the Buck Sam Kong Lineage. There's also a good Lama Pai school here as well (we used to compete against them in every tournament, because we were the only kung fu schools at the tournies). Like I said, it's a small friendly community.

I also know of a very good, very traditional Karate school here as well, if you're interested.

Then there's the whole MMA thing with the JSect Academy. John Lewis is very cool, and has a lot of respect for the other schools in town too.

You just gotta look around, and you'll find something, as long as you don't settle for the first one you find. :)

Yung Apprentice
12-21-2001, 06:07 PM
The only thing I can go on right now is the yellow pages. If it isn't listed then I won't know about it. Thats why I was wondering if there was a good school that wasn't listed.(specifically CMA)