PDA

View Full Version : Fight Club

Son_Goku
12-20-2001, 06:59 AM
Me and a few friends are starting this fight club, and so far we have quite a few people in it.
There's me ( a martial artist), a boxer, two more martial artists, a wrestler, a few street fighter / extremists, and a few posers.......

Yeah, Posers.

Any suggestions for how to exicute this neatly; anyone out there have a fight club of their own?
Write back, alright?

shaolinboxer
12-20-2001, 07:15 AM
I think you are a fool for doing this and if you are one of the organizers you will be held responsible by the cops when somebody gets hurt, which will happen.

Is everyone in this club under 18? What happens when they go home and their father says "what the hell happened to your face?" Really your parents are still responsible for you, and you are placing a hell of a burden on them by placing yourself at risk for serious injury.

My advice is to quit acting like a tough guy and start acting like a martial artist. Train hard, compete in a safer environment, and realize that life is not a movie.

Son_Goku
12-20-2001, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by shaolinboxer
I think you are a fool for doing this and if you are one of the organizers you will be held responsible by the cops when somebody gets hurt, which will happen.

Is everyone in this club under 18? What happens when they go home and their father says "what the hell happened to your face?" Really your parents are still responsible for you, and you are placing a hell of a burden on them by placing yourself at risk for serious injury.

My advice is to quit acting like a tough guy and start acting like a martial artist. Train hard, compete in a safer environment, and realize that life is not a movie.

Alright, alright.....Stop your *****ing.
One, the cops won't know about this. Two, no one will get hurt, so much that there will be bloodshed. We will be fighting with cloth sparring gloves and perhaps sparring leg - guards. Each fight will go to 3 KO's -- when someone hits the ground thrice.
Yes we are all under 18, but no ones parents are going to get ****es at a few brusies or a little blood. We all play football together regularlly, so all of our parents are used to us coming home beat to hell.
We are not going to kill someone, dude. We all do train hard. We do compete in tournies, and we know what we're doing. We just find it a bit hard to fight to our all when people are always holding you back and never letting you do what you can fully do. We just find that we can do better than our masters / trainers / coaches let us go.

shaolinboxer
12-20-2001, 08:35 AM
"We just find it a bit hard to fight to our all when people are always holding you back and never letting you do what you can fully do. We just find that we can do better than our masters / trainers / coaches let us go."

There is a reason you are forced to hold back. And 3 knock outs? That's three consecutive temporarily disabling concussions? Sounds like good clean fun to me.

Holding back, as you say, is a courtesy and means to develop trust and clean, powerful technique.

Going full out is not doing better, at least not at this point in your training.

But then again, I have not seen what it is you guy are actually doing....perhaps it's not as "full out" as I imagine and everything will be fine.

Perhaps it's more of a sparring club instead of a fight club, yes?

fmann
12-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Especially if not every one is trained properly, people are not going to know how to properly gauge their strength. These posers, for example. How can you make sure that no injuries will happen? Or bad blood? Like if you kick someone's ass in this club, how do you know he won't round up a posse and beat you in an alley?

You must know that there are ears everywhere and that parents eventually find out about everything sooner or later. Especially if someone has a big mouth or starts inviting others. And if everything goes smoothly and secretly, what are your parents going to think when they find out 2 or 3 years later? They are probably not going to trust you for a really long time if ever again.

Yeah this is preaching and yeah you can preach back, but first realize the difference between kung fu and bar-room brawling : responsibility.

Stacey
12-20-2001, 10:56 AM
San Goku, I'm so glad they haven't stopped making men like you. Ignore the Kwi Ching Kane wannabee.

I think it's cool. I wouldn't do it, but I'd like to watch.

Son_Goku
12-20-2001, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by shaolinboxer
[BPerhaps it's more of a sparring club instead of a fight club, yes? [/B]

Yeah, I guess that you could call it more of a Sparring CLub than a Fight CLub, but we will be doing a bit more harder figthing than you would if you were sparring in your kwoon.

"San Goku, I'm so glad they haven't stopped making men like you. "

Thank you, Stacey. I appericate the kind words!

relax
12-20-2001, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a really cool thing :)

The cops won't find out because everybody has to follow the 3 rules,

- You do not talk about fight club.

other then that, make sure you put on at least a head gear, everything else can be be beat down :)

Son_Goku
12-21-2001, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by relax
Other then that, make sure you put on at least a head gear, everything else can be be beat down :)

We're just going to wear cloth sparring gloves and forearm protectors, but nothing other than that.

fmann
12-21-2001, 12:15 PM
Shin gear and head gear might be a good idea though.

You guys need strong refs, don't forget, to break things up after the knock downs. Especially if someone loses his cool and wants to brawl after losing.

JWTAYLOR
12-21-2001, 01:26 PM
I predict your fight club will last approximatley 1 session. Unless there are allot more rules and limitations than you have mentioned.

If all you expect are a couple of bruises and a bloody nose you are a. a really, really crappy fighter, b. not going anywhere near full contact or, c. an absolute moron.

With 10 and 12oz gloves, foot protection, a cup, a mouthpeice, and boxing headgear you will likely still get a concusion, a serious joint injury, or a broken bone with allot of fights.

If our school has more than 10 people in on a hard sparring night you can expect at least one of the above injuries.

I don't mean to be such a b@st@rd here, but I think you are being a bit naive.

BTW, remember that Stacey is a man. Thus the "cum dumpster" for his status.

JWT

Wu-Xing
12-21-2001, 02:51 PM
This is a bad idea.Unless you take more safety precautions.You should also wait till your 18.if somthing goes wrong, your bringing down a **** storm on your parents because of your selfishness.

DelicateSound
12-21-2001, 05:19 PM
I don't mean to sound like dad/mom.gran here but one of you guy's had better be a trained paramedic. One solid hit to the temple can cause a brain haemorrhage/delayed concussion or damage to the hearing and sight. A hit to the nose can cause a delayed build up of pressure in the brain, a lack of oxygen and ultimately a coma. Also a shattered nose can cause severe breathing difficulties. A strike to the kidneys can cause a haemorrhage, which WILL kill if it ruptures the organ. A slap to the solar plexus can the victim to choke on his own tongue, and even a smack in the eyesocket can disrupt the optic nerve.

Believe me mate, it ain't like the movies where a guy takes 20 hits and is still standing. One can kill, trust me, I know what I am talking about.

wisdom mind
12-21-2001, 07:28 PM
i see you are into music....are you a dj, producer?????

i am a producer of producers here in NYC.

email me at iandijah@hushmail.com if you are involved in electronic music!

peace and welcome to the board

DelicateSound
12-22-2001, 04:39 AM
Not a DJ or producer, a guitarist! I like a lot of stuff though, from electronic to progressive to indie to punk. One true love is progressive rock though. Call me a dinosaur if you like, but nothing beats the likes of Floyd, Radiohead, early Genesis etc..

What about you?

Dan_uk
12-23-2001, 03:03 PM
Boys will be boys.

Boys want to prove something. Injuries happen. They are young, They will learn.

Let them get on with it and they can learn the hard way. If anything bad happens (I hope not) it has to stay on their conscience and they have to accept responsibility for their actions and the reprocutions that may arise.

Nobody really wants to get hurt, so when people have a go and do get hurt some may drop out and realise that its not really worth it.

To me it appears a bit of an ego thing brought on by the insecurity of not knowing whether they can actually defend themselves effectively and its a way of testing themselves. Don't get me wrong, it is good to have a good heavy sparring session every now and again but under controlled and SAFE conditions.

CanadianBadAss
12-23-2001, 03:49 PM
Why do u wanna do this? You're not going to learn much when fighting all out, you'd be better off with some sparring. And if your doing this to test your skills, y would u wanna test your skills out on your friends? find some punk bi@tch and pick a fight wiht him...

Martial Joe
12-23-2001, 04:24 PM
Two, no one will get hurt

Are you retarded...Have you ever been in a real fight before and either got your face punded or pounded some one elses?

taijiquan_student
12-23-2001, 09:59 PM
BAD idea. BAD. Sounds like you know nothing of real fighting, or even full contact sparring, and since you say this is a "fight club"--i.e., real fighting--you don't know what you're doing or what you're getting into. I know you probably won't listen, but I'm telling you it's a bad idea.

Repulsive Monkey
12-24-2001, 03:24 AM
This all sounds totally unproductive as far as each individuals own art is concerned. As you have said that you feel you are doing what your masters and teachers will not let you do in your own schools, I feel that you ought to leave your schools as obviously you do not feel fulfilled by the ethical code that is uses to develop sound martial artists. Untutored fighting easily debases into ego sparring matches and do not result in real advancement in martial arts, not of any real substance anyway. Still the choice is yours and I hope either way something positive is learnt by you and the participants of this club that makes you really think hard about what is it that you trully aspire to in life.

Qi dup
12-24-2001, 10:48 AM
I'm not going to tell you what to do. But I would read some information about concusions unless you don't want to have kids or a functional matabolism (sp?) think about it. Concusions are progressive. each one is worse than the next in my life.

DelicateSound
12-24-2001, 11:15 AM
mEtabolism. See me after class for extra grammar homework.

As for the concussion thing, I can back that up, they just get worse every time. Boxers get Parkinson's and they wear gloves......... go figure.

Cranestyle
12-24-2001, 03:32 PM
Mate you seriously need to rethink your rules if you are absolutely determined to do this (and it is a bad idea).

If you are going to have people who you consider 'posers' in this fight, then they are going to be too prideful to quit and too eager to cause the maximum of visible damage in order to impress.
Maybe when you were ten you could get away with having full on fights and convincing your parents you got the injuries from football, but now you are going to get clocked.

Some parents go ape**** if someone hurts their son as well. Say if you knock out some bloke whose dad is a bit of a fighter. If he finds out it was you, he will kick your ass so hard the police will get involved & so on & so on...

Qi dup
12-25-2001, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the spelling correcting DelicateSound! I was KO'ed for close to an hour one time when I was a kid and I've never been the same. I can't remember a good portion of my life from about 5-10 years old. Concusions are very serious.

I think cranestyle brings up some good points. you can never predicte what parents are going to do. I saw a grandparent who looked in his 50's attack a 16 year old kid when I was working at a video store one night. I'm not really sure why but I guess it was a family despute thing and the 16 year old kid did something to hurt one of his kids or something like that. Anyway the point is you could be in a world of **** if someone gets hurt. I undersatnd wanting to have fun with your friends and test your fighting ability to some extent, but I think you could probably find a better way of doing it. It's already been mentioned that you could learn more from sparing and I agree with that. If you really want to go at it maybe you could get together with your sifu and see his thoughts on it? You said on of your friends was a boxer, what does his trainer think of all this?

Qi dup
12-25-2001, 10:06 AM
Hey Son Goku, This a little off topic, But have you ever tried playing with paintball guns before? It doesn't sound like much, but there actually a ton of fun. First of all, you will all be on the same level, so no one should feel left out. My friends and I used to go up into the woods and make teams and bases and have a blast. Think about it. No one gets hurt seriously, but it's still a rush to be all camoed up and hearing piantball fire all around you and sneaking through the woods and trying to get someones flag or something. your still fighting, but it's more a mock battle than a mock fight. It's a good release.

Son_Goku
12-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Okay, here's this:

You people worry way too much, alright? No one's going to die -- if we get hurt, we get hurt.
Nothing that we can't walk away from.
We're not going to puch the face, the sex organs, or anything / anywhere that can kill someone.
We will be wearing cloth sparring gloves, but that will be all, other than our dogis or "combat uniforms".
Another thing is that there is a 3 "KO" maximum -- you hit the ground 3 times, you're done.
The posers will fight eachother. They get good, and they'll get c o c k y . They get c o c k y, and they'll get an a s s - wupping.

Oh, and Qi dup:

I paintball all the time, but it gets kinda old after a while and alot of friends of mine want something more.
That's why the Club started. I was introduced into it, but "elected" organizer. And so I shrugged my shoulders and said,"Yeah....sure..........what the hell!"

taijiquan_student
12-26-2001, 12:45 AM
"Another thing is that there is a 3 "KO" maximum -- you hit the ground 3 times, you're done."

Yeah, no **** you're "done". 3 KO's is ridiculous. 1 KO and you should probably be at a doctor's just to be safe, but 3....

"no one will get hurt"
"They get c o c k y, and they'll get an a s s - wupping"

Doesn't sound like no one will get hurt.

Since you're probably gonna do this anyway, I think it would be interesting if you posted what happened at the "club" after the first couple of times.

reemul
12-26-2001, 01:47 AM
So you're not interrested in improving your fighting skills, at least thats what I get from this.

We're not going to puch the face, the sex organs, or anything / anywhere that can kill someone.

You're not interrested in experiencing the real fighting experience.

We will be wearing cloth sparring gloves, but that will be all, other than our dogis or "combat uniforms".

Another thing is that there is a 3 "KO" maximum -- you hit the ground 3 times, you're done.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, impressing high school chicks with some cheesy club idea you got from a movie.

Look, I don't care what you do.
There are three reasons you have not felt fullfilled in your MA training,

1. your school is some sport sparring Mcdojo.
2. your instructor is worth a $hit and trying to make you a better MA'ist, despite your ingnorance.
3. your instructor is trying to spare you a premature a$$ beating.

Given your description of your "fight club" it sounds quite tame in comparison to my "kwoon".

I don't think you have a clue as to what you are doing, but hey go ahead.

straight blast
12-26-2001, 04:45 AM
Why don't you just get into a MA like Muay Thai? Then you can fight full power with very few rules, no headgear, etc. And when (note I said "when") one of you gets busted up at least you're insured. All the movie s*it is pretty to watch, but if you've ever been KO'd you'd know that it's not very romantic.
But if you go on with it, give the posers a hard time.

I hate posers :mad:

NafAnal
12-26-2001, 07:31 AM
Do tell us how it goes if it happens won't you old bean?

why don't you film it and send it to:

www.amateursparring.com

Bak Mei
12-26-2001, 09:04 AM
I fought three times a week with a group of 5 S. Mantis fighters and my sifu for 12 months straight. 3 times a week, like clock work. No single experince has benefited my fighting as much as this time.

We used head gear, chest protectors and light gloves to keep from tearing open a hand on the mask's cage.

No problems. My sifu had one rule: whatever we inficted on a classmate he would inflict on us. Great rule. No one was serously hurt. Tons of bruces, my arms were constantly brused, but I enjoyed it. Battle scars. That training removed any fear of fighting and left only a calm caution, which is necessary for such things.

I encourage this, but WITH GEAR. No one can take that many blows on a regular basis.

DelicateSound
12-26-2001, 11:54 AM
If you are serious about this (and the threat of permanent brain damage doesn't seem to dissuade you), then please, wear some 16oz gloves and get a ref who knows first aid. You're only kids, you've got the rest of your lives ahead of you, don't do anything stupid.

Bak Mei
12-26-2001, 12:36 PM
I'm 27, been training heavy like this for three years.

My new sifu requires that we wear gloves, but I haven't done any fighting with this new group yet. It's a higher level gung fu (hsing-I, Ba Gua, E-chuan) and I needed to get the principles. My mastre is away but when he comes back I'm ready to start testing the new stuff.

Head gear is a must, and we break early. The outcome is obvious quite early in, no need to finish someone off.

I miss that fighting experience. It was the best training I ever had. I believe if you want to be a good fighter one must fight.

My worst injury was a broken rib 2 years ago, and torn ligaments in my left wrist 8 months ago. It sucks, but, its a part of the training (I played football so I'm used to it).

My new sifu is against such training, ie, hurting oneself and at the slightest sign of injury demans we take it easy. But he is a fighter, and I'm curous as to how he will take my request when he returns. He still fights at 60, and I'm hoping he will be enthusiastic for a student to share similiar goals.

Peace

DelicateSound
12-26-2001, 12:42 PM
It has its uses, for people who want to be a fighter yes. But the guy is 17, no. What if gets damaged eyesight, and then 2 years later decides he wants to be a USAF pilot. He'll have f*cked up that option. See what I mean?

Me, I like to train hard, but not Too hard. I'm a kick-ass guitarist first and foremost (I wish :D), and that is my ambition. A broken wrist would not help matters at all for me.

NafAnal
12-26-2001, 05:29 PM
retinal detachments are no laughing matter...

Bak Mei
12-27-2001, 07:54 AM
Of coarse one has to decide these thing for themself. My two priorities right now, be the best fighter I can be (aiming to be THE best) and to be a published author. If I get hurt, more time to write -- that's how I view it.

I train cautisously and with people that I trust. We are not out to hurt each other but better ourselves. The key is knowing when to break. 2 good guys know when they have been got -- it's the wise guys with a big ego that get hurt, because you ease up and then they "turn it around amazingly". Those people wind up getting it worse, so there's no funny business.

I avoid poeple like that.

Even in the few challenge matches I have fought, no problems. No one was out to mame, but to prove a point. I think most serious MA are this way, series in the persuit of function, not form.

scotty1
12-28-2001, 03:34 AM
1.We're not going to punch the face - what's the point then? Are your hands conditioned enough that you can repeatedly hit someones head, in order to knock them out?

3. "combat uniforms". Your use of ths phrase shows that you are thinking of this as a movie set and not as a training experience.

Bad idea. Still, when someone has a close call it'll stop. But do let us know what happens.

Bak Mei
12-28-2001, 08:10 AM
I didn;t read where you got the punching the head thing, but punching the head is not a good idea, to hard, I hit the face, preferable the lower jaw upward, the neck, the jaw bone itself where it connects to the skull.

I prefer an open palm over the fist, and could hit the head if need be and am not concerned for myself, no problem. Besides having trained Iron palm in tha past (and do not view it with much regard) one shot is all it takes. If I stress anything about fighting, its a ONE SHOT KILL mentality. I do not throw kicks and punched willy-nilly.

I keep my door closed, open your door, and then ONE SHOT KILL.

By kill I do mean kill, or in challenge matches a break, or in friendly fighting such a heavy blow delieverd somewhere "friednly" that it is evident that one could have been killed and the fight is consdiered over.

Then we try again.

That is how I train. When fighting with Wing Chun or other such arts I advice them to keep attacking, not to stop if one punch should land, say in the mid-torso (I don't know why some do this) because it could a) be a set up by me, to break the arm or trade of for a better head shot (face, jaw) or b) just not viewd as lethal enough to be concerned with. Part of my training is to be able to take shots. I will not wear a chest protector when fighting Wing Chun.

However, when fighting Hsing-I or Ba GUa or Taiji, we fight the same way, once they have opened my door, only one shot is needed because they are in complete control, a heavy blow to the chest could have just as easily been to my windpipe, or other less overt lethal locals.

my 2 cents.

Qi dup
12-28-2001, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you know what's going on Bak Mei. I give you tons of credit for the training you do. Actually i think that's awsome. Can those taji guys really fight? Not a knock to them by any means but I was think about changing to an internal art, and I wanted to know how they would stand up in your kind of training. Well keep it up man! maybe someday I'll be at that level and we can spar. peace

Son_Goku
12-30-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by reemul
1. your school is some sport sparring Mcdojo.
2. your instructor is worth a $hit and trying to make you a better MA'ist, despite your ingnorance.
3. your instructor is trying to spare you a premature a$$ beating.

Hey, a s s - h o l e, don't talk about my sifu like that, alright? Plus, my sifu doesn't know about this -- i haven't talked to him in four years; I stopped going to my kwoon when i moved to where i live now.

Son_Goku
12-30-2001, 02:08 PM
oh, and hey, scotty1 :
" "combat uniforms". Your use of ths phrase shows that you are thinking of this as a movie set and not as a training experience. "

Yeah, "combat uniforms". I just quickly called them that, because i couldn't remember the word "dogis", alright?

Asia
12-30-2001, 11:24 PM
Bak mei,

You said you are intrested in fighting and traing to be THE best!!! I like that I like it A LOT!!! Tell you what PM and lets see if we can meet for a match!!!This should be intresting!!

Are you retarded...Have you ever been in a real fight before and either got your face punded or pounded some one elses?

You can get into a fight, WIN and still come out hurt. Another big martial myth is a MArtist can fight without getting seriously hurt. I have many scars that can prove that wrong. And I didn't get the name "Asia the INVINCIBLE" from being a wimp!:D

Goku,

What everyone is trying to tell you is that being inexperienced as you are, this is going by your posts, you shouldn't enter in to something like this. First the use of terms. KO (Knockout) means you hit the person he goes down and he either 1) loses conciousness or 2) too out of hit that he can't get to his feet by himself can mean serious injury. What you mean it 3 FALLs resulting in a TKO (Technical Knock Out) it's stuff like this that show pple you don't know what you are doing and haven't done the research. Before you say somethjng like terms doesn't matter, if a doctor uses the wrong terminology pple can DIE!!! Fighting is serious. FULL contact fighting is serious. If you don't think your little club won't come to light, then you show your inexperience and age again. This sort of thing is NOT new with kids. I have seen several of these groups when I was in High school, I was even apart of a few. Trust me someone WILL get hurt. What do you have for first aid? How will you get medical attention? Also think of this if someone gets hurt thery parents find out there can be a lawsuit and since you are a minor your PARENTS will have to deal with it. If you don't think you boys will rat each other out think again. The best advice here is find a good school train there where ther is adult supervision. When you get older and have your OWN medical insurance the by all means fight away. Then you are responsible for yourself.

taijiquan_student
12-31-2001, 08:01 PM
Goku...If your sifu is "worth a $hit", it means that he's worth something, that he's a good person/martial artist, not that he's worth $hit.

jon
01-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Great post, some very good advice in there.

I would also like to add that there are two forms of enjoying combat. At least in my books.
One enjoying the technical and spiritual side of two trained fighters exchanging energys. This actualy requires that your skilled in your art in the first place so that you can understand whats going on.
Two simply enjoying causing pain to other individuals or wishing pain to be caused to yourself.
For me it really is that simple... either your a trained fighter interested in the way another art would deal with a particular type of force. Or you simply enjoy hurting people and have some aggression thats being taken out in the wrong way.
Son_Goku
I find it hard to think at your age and level you could be wanting to do this for anything other than the second reason. In which case you have messed up. Watch the movie again and you may notice something... Its an ANTI violence film. The whole point of the 'fight club' was that these were men who were so wrapped up in there petty lives and money that they had never experienced anything 'real'. There fighting was a way of escape.
You are only young and have no reason to feel like this, you have missed the message. Besides which being a martial artist provides you with just the release that these men were craving albiet in a much more civilised way.
Why not simply get together with your friends and try and work out some good self defence techniques? You could test them against each others 'street knowledge' and try and advance your defence in a more scientific way.
Just my opinions.

reemul
01-01-2002, 04:15 AM
I gave you reasons your Sifu ran class the way he did.

Judging from your posts, you're not that experienced and you seem to be driven by glorification. When ignorant people get together and do ignorant things, someone usually gets hurt.

Let me just say once again, that I don't care what you do, I'm just trying to answer your questions.

buksing_king
01-01-2002, 09:18 AM
Hey there

I don't know what type of fight club you are trying to come up with but i am only 15.... and have participated in a so called fight club with a group of friends

These are some of the things that made our sparring sessions so good

We wore big red boxing gloves ..... 16oz ones

We wore these rugby tae kwon do style helmets to cover the temple and to soften impact

Sparred only with friends

30 second ground wrestling limit ...{ we are more interested in testing our stand up skills}

Once someone puts there hand up .. or mutters stop or anything like that you help him up and stop fighting

We all have mobile phones ready to call the ambulance if anything goes wrong

I know you guys may thing of this as a medium-heavy sparring session but the real difference is that when you fight people from different arts you have no idea what they are going to throw at you ... they are totally un-predictable like the people on the street..... and best of all you can have fun with your mates

Because in the end, fights are unpleasent and tend to be avoided. so why not show others in a relatively harmless way the beauty of your art ..... it practicallities and its uses?

I think sparring within your school is great .... you develop fitness, strenght , mental determination and learn to think laterally

But i also think that if you have the oppurtunity to spar someone in a SAFE environment then you should jump at the chance because " what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"!!!

:p :D

DelicateSound
01-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Sounds reasonable. I do loads of sparring at class though.

CD Lee
01-03-2002, 12:45 PM
We wore big red boxing gloves ..... 16oz ones

We wore these rugby tae kwon do style helmets to cover the temple and to soften impact

Sparred only with friends

30 second ground wrestling limit ...{ we are more interested in testing our stand up skills}

I am sure that is all fun and what not, but how am I going to do Xingyi with 16 oz gloves on, and what am I teaching myself if I win? It is just not improving your martial arts thats all.

Are stomps to the inside of the leg knee joints allowed if you are in close? Throat strikes? If you are any good at using your body force, you can break ribs and cause terrible damage to an untrained person with solid strikes, if you use good posture and are using good mechanics for power. I would never ever strike a friend in the torso hard properly.

But really, what is the point if you are not going to really seek reality in these fights? In an extreeme stress situation, such as a person is threatening to kill you and rape your wife, your body will resort to the most basic things it knows because you will most likely experience mind-blank under stress of this magnitude. If you have held back in sparring, your body will hold back in a real fight. You simply must strike to kill or mame in one or two shots in an instant.

Once again, what are you training for? When I was a runner, we used to say, REMEMBER, TRAIN TO RACE, NOT TO TRAIN. I think there is a lot of wisdom in that saying.

Based in Ingrams, mental images and posturing that we do, we are always, always training ourselves to do something. We do things without thinking, only those things that we have trained our minds and bodies to do over and over again.

DelicateSound
01-04-2002, 12:26 PM
But running a race is hardly likely to kill you is it.

CD Lee
01-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Well, I know running won't kill you, (maybe).

Let me say it this way. I am interested in learning and training my responses to strike to do maximum damage in minimum time. My Shifu says pulling punches causes people to hit with much less power in a stress situation. I want to train myself to strike certain points without thinking about it.

For instance. I train scenarios in my mind of what I would do in certain situations. When I get anywhere near the back of someone, I will stomp into the back of their knee joint to drive it into the ground. I practice this manouver in a form, but I cannot really do this in sparring, as that is too dangerous. As is taking someones arm in your hand, and stepping past them, as you bring your shoulder and body into the back of their arm with a snap. This is easy to do, and very dangerous. You cannot spar with some moves.

My point? You will do what you train to do in a stress situation. And only those things that are completely second nature will you be able to do. In sparring, you remove the stress of life and death, and your mind works differently. The less moves the better. The less you have to think about the better.

DelicateSound
01-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Mark Twain once said:

"Courage is grace under pressure"

I train my kicks a lot. In a fight, even with the pressure on, I'd know that stepping THROUGH his knee is the best idea.

You can't train stuff like arm breaks even in a fight club, but you can do them at 1/2 speed and get them right.

Hell, in a Fight Club, you cannot expect to fight FULL CONTACT, bare knuckle surely!!!

Hence, anything less is not a fight is it??!

I disagree about:

"Less moves the better"

This leaves you less moves in your repertoir to fight with. The trick is to use what is most effective at each moment. If your mind is clear and you are trained in how to respond, you will be OK.

jimmy23
01-10-2002, 08:54 PM
man, what a thread! I have laughed myself silly here!

JWtaylor makes some great points.

Now, why call it a fight club if theres no ground fighting, no face punching, and three knock downs stops a fight? Thats a restrained form of sparring. You wont let the wrestkler do take downs and ground and pound?

If there s anyone on this thread to listen to, its me , and trust me, your idea needs to be worked out in a lot more detail before you even think of trying it. What you really need to do is get involved in MMA , san shou or muay thai.

Anyone who is a half way competant fighter will give you more than a bloody nose , you will lose teeth, get facial scars, eye damage, maybe a broken jaw. Trust me, once punches start flying, the no hits to the face rule will be out the window.

Youre still young and dumb (as i was at your age) so i doubt youll heed these words, but if youre really tired of "being held back" go to a gym like the types i mentioned. The first thing youll learn is how to take an arse whooping, then if you keep training you can begin to really learn to fight.

DelicateSound
01-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by jimmy23
man, what a thread! I have laughed myself silly here!
If there s anyone on this thread to listen to, its me.

Anyone who is a half way competant fighter will give you more than a bloody nose , you will lose teeth, get facial scars, eye damage, maybe a broken jaw.

No offense mate, but haven't I been saying the same thing all thread?

And why listen to you? :)

jimmy23
01-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Because i am by far the prettiest member of this forum, good enough?

DelicateSound
01-12-2002, 04:57 AM
But I'm not really that way inclined :D

I have heard that Wushu Chik is quite a pretty lady though... :)

Kristoffer
01-31-2002, 05:00 AM
i say Go for It!! Why listen to what anyone else says? just go out there and have fun!! Just remember to have fun and that you are still FRIENDS.. Oh, but your fooling yourself if u think that no one will get seriosly hurt. :D there will be blood, but hey.. That's how it is. I hope you are better than your opponents, that way u know u will live afterwards.

~JUST DO IT~

shaolinboxer
01-31-2002, 11:02 AM
"I will stomp into the back of their knee joint to drive it into the ground. I practice this manouver in a form, but I cannot really do this in sparring, as that is too dangerous."

Actually this technique is not too dangerous, as it follows the natural bend of the knee.

"As is taking someones arm in your hand, and stepping past them, as you bring your shoulder and body into the back of their arm with a snap. "

True, you don't want to snap it, but you can apply a standing armbar.

"My Shifu says pulling punches causes people to hit with much less power in a stress situation."

That may be true, but it also teaches you to be able to use not too much and not to little. IMO, one should train both ways. You can't go full power all of the time.

Kristoffer
02-04-2002, 03:29 AM
I will stomp into the back of their knee joint to drive it into the ground. I practice this
manouver in a form, but I cannot really do this in sparring, as that is too dangerous."

hehe i do that one all the time on my gf :D

Taone
02-05-2002, 11:11 PM
The last time you spoke to your teacher was 4 years ago?? and you're under 18. So maximum possible age currently is 17, therefore the last time you actually trained with guidance was at the most 13?? I see...

The idea of a fight club is a very romantic notion, I thought of it myself after watching the movie :) using rules of course. But truth is, accidents happen far to easily. Sparring in class with another guy - we agreed to go lightly - a threw a (light) shovel hook to his solar plexus region, not being too specific. He misread it and ducked intending to go under & around, straight into my punch. I had those fingerless padded sparring mitts on, and it still resulted in a knockdown, minor concussion, 2 blackeyes and a cut on the bridge of his nose. Granted, it was careless on both parts, neither of us were experienced enough to control it well enough. But we were going a light to moderate intenstity with light punches. If you guys get all tough and testosterone driven, there will be less control. Something will happen.
At least use headgear and a cup. And padded floors. Falls and grapples on hard surfaces are nasty. Not quite like the movies :)

red_fists
02-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Son-Goku.

Sounds like some teens watched "Fight Club" decided that the Idea is cool and now trying to copy what they saw.

Yes, all teens need to get their Hormones in line, but I think you got the Cart in front of the Horse.

Better everybody join the same Kwoon/Dojo/Dojang and have their fights in a controlled environment under proper supervision and instruction.

As for nobody will know about it, I am pretty sure that the hush-hush rumours are already out there.

As for nobody getting hurt, easier said than done, It takes more skill not to hurt somebody than to hurt him.

Yeah, you are laughing at the wusses that only do half hearted punches and stop before impact.
This shows control and proper skill.

Try it throw a full power punch into a sandbag, next throw the same punch but stop just before it actually touches the Bag.
My bet is you will touch the bag.
As for nobody getting hurt pull the other one it got Bells on.

You spar you get hurt, and by the sound if it most of you Guys are fairly untrained.
So I would say more damage to the person throwing the Punch than the Person receiving it.

Also what will happen when people wanna watch,etc.
Bloodsports and illegal fights are everywhere, but there is a reason why they are outlawed.

All in all a bad Idea and I reckon some Guys will end up in Hospital and maybe suffering for life, while others will get FREE Goverment accomodation for some time.

Be smart and go back to your old Instructor or find a new one.

Kristoffer
02-07-2002, 09:12 AM
I still say go for it :D

sanchezero
02-11-2002, 09:29 PM
These guys are all under 18.

They're all posers. OKOK, mostly posers, including Goku. I'm being a d!ck, sure, but callin yerself a MAist when you QUIT training at age 13? C'mon. :rolleyes:

But - I did the same thing when I had a year of totally watered down TKD under my belt and it went something like this:

"Dude, I was in!"

"Bullsh!t."

"No, totally, you a$$hole!"

"Fu<k you, I had your nuts in my hand, man!"

"Whatever, dude. You would be spittin teef if I hadn't held back, man!"

"No way, cause see when you did that I was right here with this, b!tch!"

So either way - just a bunch o'dumbsh!ts playin around, or - natural selection...

:D

Ryu
02-13-2002, 07:18 PM
1. The cops will find out (they'r not as stupid as portrayed in movies, and why do something illegal anyway?? God that annoys me...

2. Go fight some real fighters. Join a MMA gym, Vale Tudo, etc. Go compete in a cage fight.

3. If you want to spar and fight realistically fine, but don't call it "fight club" like the dumb ass movie, and pretend it's big and illegal. You a freshman? :D

(okay, that might be a bit harsh, sorry. But that kind of mentality is so "pokemon" to me...

Ryu

wushu chik
02-14-2002, 01:43 AM
You know what I don't understand? Why the hell stupid people actually try to do the cr@p they see on tv. You have to be a moron to do a fight club. But hey, you're a teen and I wouldn't expect any more or less from you. Just be careful, and remember, if somebody get's hurt, at least be big enough to take the blame for the ignorance you posess!!!

And D.S. thanks for the kind words!!

Ryu...sounds more like Saved by the Bell than Pokemon....

Just my humble opinion!! UH HUH, YEAH RIGHT!!

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 03:32 PM
No problem WushuChick - although after ridiculing me as "not a real man" and then insinuating that RYU of all people is, I don;t see why I should bother :D

BTW: Fight Club dude - any recap on this. I want to hear the 5th grade, tear-strewn details please.

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 04:57 PM
just ****ing DO it man!!! Catch it on video and post the results here :D Why is everyone being so sissy about this? If he wanna go bleed, then let him.