PDA

View Full Version : Trainers or knee straps

scotty1
12-20-2001, 09:42 AM
Would you buy a decent pair of running shoes and some knee straps or an excellent pair of running shoes?

(Bearing in mind I only do 5 miles a week)

tri2bmt
12-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Run.
Stretch.
Train.
Don't cheat yourself.
Be honest and push the limits without breaking yourself.
Be patient.
Or buy the excellent running shoes. All I use are some skateboarder Adidas I bought for like fifty bucks. As long as the soles are well cushioned it's all good.

anerlich
12-20-2001, 03:34 PM
IMHO you are better to work on making your running style more biomechanically efficient and less traumatic than relying on expen$ive globalised Nike technology to do it for you.

Unless a physiotherapist or similar has advised you to use knee straps for an existing injury or weakness, steer well clear.

I personally follow the running technique espoused as the Slavic Endurance Gait, Slaviyanskiy Byeg, per a tape available from www.zdorovye.com.

The proponents of this system claim that heavy padding can do more harm than good as it prevents you being sensitive to the quality of the contact with the ground and this allow you to minimise trauma and maximise efficiency.

I do one 8K and one 10K run weekly through Aussie bushland in old wrestling boots with thin soles, and despite having old spinal injuries I've never suffered from back or knee pain as a result.

No doubt any good distance running coach could help you with your running style.

scotty1
12-21-2001, 03:18 AM
Thanks. I think I'll buy a decent pair and use the rest of the money to buy an electric shaver!! :)