PDA

View Full Version : chi kung bashing

TjD
12-20-2001, 12:00 PM
i dont even practice chi kung :)

but lately it seems theres been a lot of chi kung/meditation bashing on the forum... so anyhow i have a question, just for the fact that people lashing out, and blindly insulting others isnt good for any of us :) i'd prefer more intellectual conversation

what is wrong with practicing chi kung, why do you feel people should be convinced that it does not exist?

im really hoping no one takes offense to this, and that this thread doesnt explode into some troll-a-thon, but it would be nice if people could be a little more civil about what other people believe in.

peace
travis

EARTH DRAGON
12-20-2001, 12:10 PM
I dont think that people on here see anything wrong with practicing qigong , I just think that they dont understand it and feel that if it is not comprehenceable to them it is not worth practicing. It just goes to show you that if ignorance is bliss why are more people happy! a good quote from someone on this board.....

red5angel
12-20-2001, 12:15 PM
I think part of the problem is, for those that do believe, it was taking a huge step from what we know and understand in western medicine and science. It goes against alot of what they teach you here. It may be one of those ironic thikngs that has to be believed before it can be seen.
I personally believe in it after seeing a few demonstrations that have convinced me personally that it exist in some way or another. Often times, like religion, there are things that are hard to coexist with in our world of science.

Water Dragon
12-20-2001, 12:20 PM
Naw, it's just that a lot of us don't like the way people like to embellish. I'm going through Iron Body training as we speak. Good stuff, traditional method. It is definately beneficial, just not super natural.

MightyB
12-20-2001, 12:43 PM
Actually, I'm one of the more skeptical on this forum, but I don't believe that there's anything wrong with practicing Chi Kung. I actually think that Chi Kung practice can be beneficial, but, I don't like people making false claims or pretenses on what it can do. I think that if the benificial results are real, then we should explore what the real results and benefits are. I don't believe that it can cure everything under the sun and I think that the people that propagate that kind of thinking without verifiable tests are unethical. They are also the ones who get emotional when someone proposes to burst their fantasy bubble and challenges their fantastic claims.

Shooting Chi, blowing things up, seeing auras, curing cancer, aids, hepatitus, etc. are claims that are completely false and dangerous. Ask yourself, if you could only choose one type of treatment and you had terminal Cancer, would you forego modern science in favor of faith healing?

What does chi do? Look at the down to Earth results. It can make you stronger (dynamic strength and isometric exercises are great), it can make you feel better (self induced psychosis and hyperventilation, we do it with illegal substances all of the time, so this is more of a natural high), makes people healthier and more resistant to getting sick (any exercise if done properly will give you those results and the people that are big into Chi Kung aren't exactly the types you'll see hanging out at the local gym)... You get my point?

What are the fantastic results that should be explored? The inner strength development-- examples being the "unbendable arm" or the "immovable person". Also, is it only coordination, physics, and timing that allow a small man to fling a large man across the room or is something else going on? What makes another person turn their head to make eye contact with you when you stare at them from the other side of the room?

If the Chi people could keep it real and had the self discipline to question things once and awhile, I probably would be a little more receptive to their ideas. Now I'm not one to dismiss things lightly, so I make it my New Year's resolution to do some Chi Kung training with a person that I know and trust.

Question everything even the skeptics like me and make up your own mind. If it makes you happy and you feel better doing it (the placebo effect and the positive power of suggestion), do it.

Peace,

The one, the only, the Mighty--- B!!!

Nexus
12-20-2001, 01:22 PM
Yah Chi Kung isn't worth doing. The only reason I do it every day for a few hours each day is because it gives me the illusion of being super human and having super awesome chi powers. Sometimes I pretend that I am qiman and pretend my hands are qirays that can penetrate the weak qi fields that all other humans posses. You know that itch you occasionally feel on the back of your neck that arises from no-where and you are forced to itch it? That's me.

- Nexus

Ginger Fist
12-20-2001, 01:59 PM
http://coke.rotten.com/gran-canarias/

MightyB
12-20-2001, 02:06 PM
That's the sickest thing that I've ever seen!!! You're allright in my book.

Catch ya later,

The B

Xebsball
12-20-2001, 02:08 PM
If someone does chinese martial arts and say chi kung is boo**** i go like: "Ur stupid dude"

Chi is very real
Chi Kung is very good

Shaolindynasty
12-20-2001, 02:11 PM
I think "qi bashing" comes from martial artists wanting to be identified as fighters and not like "caine from kungfu". So they repell anything that could be interperted this way. Also some christian MA orgs. say that meditation and qigong practice is evil asian mystisim. So most qi bashing comes from misunderstandings. The performance stuff doesn't help much but some of it is cool to watch. As a martial artist it is up to the person to educate himself or research somthing closer than to just dismiss an aspect of his art. Me, I practice qigong and I "beleive" it(it's actually a science not a beleif). I had to take some classes in Chinese medicine before I really knew what Qi was about though and I would encourage anybody else to do the same before they dismiss it.

TjD
12-20-2001, 02:19 PM
its pretty easy with proper concentration - i wouldnt quite throw that out the window

peace
travis

Fish of Fury
12-20-2001, 02:33 PM
agree, I can see auras to a degree.

I also think there's an element of intellectual elitism in Qi Gong bashing etc. but trying to pigeon hole those who "believe" in Qi as hippies and fools is inaccurate (and unscientific!! :D )

MightyB
12-20-2001, 02:39 PM
Eric Cartman would.

but trying to pigeon hole those who "believe" in Qi as hippies and fools is inaccurate ;)

Fish of Fury
12-20-2001, 03:18 PM
yeah, but Cartman is hella cool! :D

Ginger Fist
12-20-2001, 04:50 PM
That's the sickest thing that I've ever seen!!!

--freaked me out 4 sure & i'm pretty freaky

You're allright in my book.

--kewl ... thanx & right back at ya!!!

joedoe
12-20-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MightyB
Shooting Chi, blowing things up, seeing auras, curing cancer, aids, hepatitus, etc. are claims that are completely false and dangerous. Ask yourself, if you could only choose one type of treatment and you had terminal Cancer, would you forego modern science in favor of faith healing?

Seeing auras? Who knows if people can or cannot. How can you verify the truth of what they are seeing? Given that you cannot really verify it one way or another, how can you dismiss it?

As for curing serious illness, Qigong probably has as much chance of success as allopathic medicine.

And if I had terminal cancer, it really wouldn't matter which treatment I took would it? It is terminal. :)

EARTH DRAGON
12-20-2001, 09:42 PM
I disagree with you totally you said .....

how do you come to these conclusions? my wife is a doctor and my qigong teacher lives at our house she is from china and world renown as a healer and has people lined up for months awaitng treaments. My students mother had ovarian cancer and kimotherapy did nothing for her except make her hair fall out, after many treaments from my teacher her cancer turned benine and a byopsy proved the amount of cancerous tissue had turned to scar tissue. This is just one case in particular but she has cured many dieseases such as bells palsy, hepatitus, aids, paralyasis, lymphomia and many more. all with medical diagnosis to confirm remmission. So dont say something that you dont know for sure. I have medical doctors at my house on a weekly basis observing her treaments and success rate. I will say that not many people have such results and are as high level as her, for she is known throughout the world but dont quote things that you dont know for sure for I have documented proof.
And yes many people seek out her treaments for alternaltive choices instead of western persedures...... our medicine in this country is only 263 years old where eastern medicine is 4,000 so trust me we do not have all the answers ... actually just a fraction, western medicine is evolving every day but far from the understanding of how the body works compared to eastern

MightyB
12-21-2001, 06:50 AM
Again, it's unverifiable as to what caused the remission since the people were seeing western medical doctors and receiving western medical treatment. Saying that kimo only caused her hair to fall out and that the qi gong saved her is a wrong conclusion since she was receiving kimo (it was probably the kimo that saved her)...

MightyB
12-21-2001, 06:52 AM
My Sihing is a research physicist in a base material company for semi-conductors. He's open to the idea, concept, and notion of Chi. That says a lot to me (helluva lot more convincing than you "chi-hippies").