PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever ethical to hit an attacker who wears glasses in the face?

phantom
12-20-2001, 12:50 PM
For most situations, I would say definitely not. However, if your life is threatened, then it may be justifiable, depending on the circumstances. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

apoweyn
12-20-2001, 01:02 PM
well, that's pretty much the only circumstance in which it's justifiable to hit some guy in the face if he DOESN'T wear glasses, isn't it?

i'm unclear on the question, i guess. if he's attacking you, doesn't make much difference whether he wears glasses or no. and if he's not attacking you, why punch him at all?

stuart b. (glasses wearer)

Paul
12-20-2001, 01:05 PM
is it okay to call people who wear glasses four eyes?

red5angel
12-20-2001, 01:05 PM
Whether this is pc or mature or not, I feel that if anybody takes a swing at me with malicious intent one of two things will happen, they will take me out, or I will take them out. My wife said this when I mentioned it to her about hitting women (which I dont normally believe in) she said "If you hit a man, you have stepped into a mans world..."

phantom
12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
I agree that you should not hit someone who is not attacking you. However, it is possible that someone could throw a series of strikes at you full force without intending to kill you. Would you not be justified in defending yourself in that situation?(though not by hitting him in the face if he wears glasses, IMHO.)

Gargoyle again
12-20-2001, 01:13 PM
It is ALWAYS ethical to defend yourself against an attacker, and if removing someone's glasses will protect you then by all means do it. I would much rather break someone's glasses to end a fight than have to break someone's arm, leg, or neck.

apoweyn
12-20-2001, 01:18 PM
paul,

sure. but you may want to do it from a distance. nothing more embarrassing than getting beaten down by the bookish-looking guy in the corner.

:)

stuart b.

JWTAYLOR
12-20-2001, 01:23 PM
Not only ethical, it's tactical.

JWT

Paul
12-20-2001, 01:24 PM
heh, new fox special - When guys who wear glasses attack!

apoweyn
12-20-2001, 01:53 PM
phantom,

i still don't understand the problem. are you concerned that breaking someone's glasses might blind them or something? does it not feel 'sporting'?

what, exactly, is the objection?

i wear glasses. i don't suspect, for one moment, that this will prevent someone from punching me in the face.

if it's not a serious situation, then a fight probably wasn't the way to go. but once it's gone sour, i can't imagine that glasses will be a factor. (either you can restrain the guy in question or you can't. i can't see amending that decision based on his eyewear.)

if it is a serious situation, then yeah, i'd figure on getting punched right in my glasses (assuming i hadn't removed them myself).

stuart b.

Xebsball
12-20-2001, 02:15 PM
I'd hit someone wearing glasses, no problem. If someone gets in a fight with me this person DESERVES to get hit.

Fish of Fury
12-20-2001, 02:22 PM
let me preface this by saying i'm a pretty mellow person, i've never started a fight in my life, and like nothing more than avoiding one.....but:

if they start it, FU(K 'EM!
kick in the nadgers, glasses, wooden leg etc.
take there glasses off and shove 'em up their poop shute if it'll help.
if they don't like it, shouldn't have started it

anerlich
12-20-2001, 02:38 PM
JWT is correct.

At school as a 15 year old I was being hassled by this bespectacled guy (sounds sucky, I know) who was a bit bigger than me. He was getting in my face, throwing fake punches and light taps at me.

I blindly threw a haymaker. I hadn't really meant to connect, but I did. His glasses were bent, his nose was cut and bleeding where the glasses met it, and he was crying.

I felt just a little bad because I hadn't really meant to hit him, but I was impressed with the effectiveness of the result. The guy didn't hassle me again.

logic
12-20-2001, 02:58 PM
Treat them as you would anyone else.
Don't treat them as if it's a handicap.

I know some guys in my old karate dojo that wear glasses and they can really fight.

Waidan
12-20-2001, 03:01 PM
It's "poop chute".

I'm here to help.

Fish of Fury
12-20-2001, 03:13 PM
:D thanks Waidan

Oh, and it's not rectum....
....it's fu(kin' near killed 'em!

rubthebuddha
12-20-2001, 03:17 PM
at least he didn't say poop shoot. that'd just be nasty.

logic
12-20-2001, 03:25 PM
are you a shoot fighter
OR
are you a poop shoot fighter

It's the latest martial art.:D

So I heard.

Stacey
12-20-2001, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that its unethical to punch anyone in the face, whether they wear glasses or not. I would be scared of cutting my hand.

NafAnal
12-20-2001, 04:09 PM
Batman hits the Joker when he puts on a pair of glasses.... Was that unethical? The Joker killed Brucey's parents fer cryin' out loud...

joedoe
12-20-2001, 04:19 PM
I'm with Fish on this one. If they want to hit me, then they can accept the consequences, glasses or no.

What if they are wearing glasses on their poop chute? :D

Budokan
12-21-2001, 12:38 AM
That's like saying it's unethical to suplex a quadriplegic just because he gets a little uppity with you. Don't be silly. You're a martial artist. You have the right to defend yourself, even against gimps.

I remember once I was walking through the side show of a local carnival, looking for a little freak action on the side when the Rubber Man accidentally jostled my arm and made me spill one kernel of my popcorn. He immediately apologized, but not one to take crap off anybody, especially a six-four eighty-pound human made of pipe cleaners and Pixie sticks for bones, I slammed an elbow into his sternum. It was funny how his body bent double that way and he kind of folded up, wheezing like an accordian.

The other freaks, upon seeing the devastation I had wrought with my awesome shotokan skills (honed to perfection by hitting and kicking the air thousands of times) invited me into their tent where they were throwing a birthday party. Soon, they were singing my praises:

"Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!
"You are one of us! You are one of us!
"Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!
"You are one of us!"

After much drink and merriment I went had had sex with the Snowball Twins, a couple of pinheads and Bertha the Chicken Queen. Later that morning I woke up with the smell of my cum on the She-Male Sword Swallower. Ah, halcyon days...!

KC Elbows
12-21-2001, 12:59 AM
I have never been more ashamed to have seen the movie Freaks.

That chant is stuck in my head forever. Never watch that one with a date. As soon as the guy with no arms and no legs rolls a cigarette, she's gonna look at you and know she can do better.

Budokan
12-21-2001, 01:01 AM
Yep. It's a romance killer, all right. You bring a date to that and there's no way you'd be getting any from her--EVER. I'd add one more caveat: Don't see it on a full stomach. (Erp!)

Man, it is one brutal film.

KC Elbows
12-21-2001, 01:12 AM
I think we need to broaden the question.

"Is it ever ethical to hit an attacker who wears glasses in the face?"

Where else might the attacker wear his glasses? And, if he is not wearing his glasses "in the face", is it ethical to hit him? Let's say I'm an attacker, but I'm wearing my glasses in my ass. After all, I'm in management, and I spend a lot of my time with my head up in there. If you hit me, my glasses might break, and next thing you know I collapse with heinous rectal damage. I might die from this backdoor bleeding. Have you done the right thing?

Let's confine this to serious answers everyone. This is an important issue, and may well determine where I'll be wearing my glasses on sparring night.

Fish of Fury
12-21-2001, 01:29 AM
perhaps what we need is a new line of protective equipment?

y'know, an Arse Mask or special protective rectum glasses.
we could call them "rectacles", or simply Glarses.

that way butt kicking can remain the integral part of MA that it is today without impairing the vision of those who take a brown eye view of the world

KC Elbows
12-21-2001, 01:33 AM
I've got my rectacles on right now!!:D

They're soo comfortable, and natural looking, too. Heck, the darn things got wings!!

jimmy23
12-21-2001, 01:37 AM
lol@rectacles

Ginger Fist
12-21-2001, 06:50 AM
dude!!! u say he's attacking & then ? 'bout ethics? he lost all rights 2 concerns when he attacked ... strike his lens thru his eyeballs

Son_Goku
12-21-2001, 06:55 AM
First punch 'em in the gut.....pretty hard. If they still come for more ass kicking, give them your all, and if that means a punch to that sucker's face, give it to him.

scotty1
12-21-2001, 07:00 AM
LOL LOL LOL at everything on this thread, esp. KC Elbows and Budokan. everyone in my office is looking at me wondering why I'm laughing at a spreadsheet.:D

Budokan
12-21-2001, 08:19 AM
LOL @ rectacles. Funny stuff. ROFL!

Carson: "Isn't that wild?"
McMahon: "Yes!"

scotty1
12-21-2001, 08:44 AM
How does a guy with no arms and no legs roll a cigarette?

Am I missing something (no pun intended)?

KC Elbows
12-21-2001, 09:24 AM
No, you're not missing anything. He does it with his mouth, no joke, no camera tricks. Its the best part of the whole movie, but I don't let my wife watch it, as I don't need her getting unreasonable expectations on what a man should be able to do with his mouth alone.:D

phantom
12-21-2001, 11:45 AM
Yes, apoweyn. I was afraid of the possibility of blinding them.

apoweyn
12-21-2001, 11:56 AM
okay, phantom. now we're getting somewhere.

you didn't really make it clear whether you were concerned about that or about the 'schoolyard ethics' of it. the same code that said (when i was in school), "only girls kick."

my personal feeling is that, if the situation's escalated that far, you may not get a whole lot of say in what you hit and what effect that has.

but if you did get a say (and i don't honestly know what that would take), swat his glasses downward off his face and then punch him in the shnoz to your heart's content.

how's that?

stuart b.

phantom
12-21-2001, 12:03 PM
Thanks, apoweyn! Peace.:D

apoweyn
12-21-2001, 12:18 PM
no worries phantom.

all joking aside, it does you credit that you're concerned about this.

happy holidays.

stuart b.

phantom
12-21-2001, 12:43 PM
Same to you, apoweyn. Thanks again. Peace.:D

David Jamieson
12-21-2001, 01:15 PM
I'll tell ya, I would Never hit someone with glasses....

I would hit them with a fist :D

seriously though, if they're -attacking- then by all means do what you need to do to convert their spectacles to rectacles.

Fish, you are a funny dude.

peace

Bak Mei
12-21-2001, 01:21 PM
Not only would I have no problem bashing him, if given the oportunity I would grind the broken shards deep into his face.

I'm a nice guy. But if you attack me, then, be ready to pay the piper. I look at it as a leason. I'm never the agresor on the street. IF you attack me it was unprovoked, so I like being the one to show them that they should not impose their will physically on someone.

DelicateSound
12-21-2001, 03:40 PM
Spectacles, rectacles even testacles are all weak points, and should be exploited to the full. In fact, shoving the broken shards of the first item into the soft fleshiness of the third items would guarantee a victory IMHO. If you could face doing that to another man.

Then again, if that MoFo tries to take me down, I'll drop him with whatever it takes. Even if it is an instrument of vision directed towards the happysack (TM). :p

wushu chik
12-21-2001, 03:47 PM
If the situation arose....and I had to hit someone with glasses to DEFEND myself from him/her...I would be WAY MORE concerned with slicing the h3ll out of my hand...not what's gonna happen to the person I am hitting. But that's just me! I have hit a person with glasses before, and it hurts.....both parties.

~Wen~

Ben Gash
12-22-2001, 04:03 PM
It is never, under ANY circumstances ethical to hit a guy wearing glasses in the face!How could you monsters even consider such an act?!?! What kind of spineless lowlives are you?;) If you hadn't already guessed I wear glasses.
I will say that one of my major concerns when confrontations loom is having my glasses broken. Which is why I make **** sure that he's down and staying down before anything comes near my head :p
and yes, most people do feel a serious twat when they've been beaten half to death by the bookish looking guy with the big vocabulary:D
I must say though that one time in training I kicked a guy in the side of the head and his glasses caused the worst broken noseI've ever seen :o

Ginger Fist
12-22-2001, 08:38 PM
good stuff ... so it's now decided ... every1 begin carrying around a pair of glasses ... soon as a fight gets ready 2 start ... quickly put them on the guy & then smash the sh*it out 'em ... could b the start of a new m.a. system 4 sure ... & some people say innovation is dead

Kristoffer
12-23-2001, 02:55 AM
~I am satan~ ~I will eat your glass~ ~glass in swedish means ice-cream~ ~I am satan~

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Former castleva
12-23-2001, 03:40 AM
It does not matter if he is wearing glasses or not,if he attacks you,you have to attack with all the skill and power you have.

Fish of Fury
12-23-2001, 02:42 PM
"most people do feel a serious twat when they've been beaten half to death by the bookish looking guy with the big vocabulary"

hahaha
mental picture of ben flying through the air shouting his own unique KIAI!

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM!!! :cool:

apoweyn
12-27-2001, 08:10 AM
fish of fury with the blackadder quote! nicely executed!!

apoweyn
12-27-2001, 09:15 AM
people wear their glasses during sparring?! not me!

people have asked me if the glasses are a problem in martial arts. i tell them it isn't. if the guy's too far away for me to see without my glasses, then he's too far away to worry about.

besides, i don't tend to focus on small specific movements anyway. (IOW, i don't need to be able to see his fingers twitch. i just need to be able to see the 'impression' of movement in the body.)

generally, the eyesight isn't a problem. sure, there was that one time that mum went to give me a hug and i panicked and caught her with a spinning hook. but generally...

stuart b.

Bak Mei
12-27-2001, 09:39 AM
Wushu Chik is actually right.

In that situation I would instictively avoid the glasses. If the opportunity to come in from the outside unflods I would most likely do my favorite palm to the side of the jaw and then grab and pull or take an ear. If on the inside I like the plam to the chin/elbow in the chest combo.

I would not want to cut myself. But I'd step on his glasses on the way out for good measure.

DelicateSound
12-27-2001, 10:12 AM
.....pull them off. The geek would be rendered incapacitated. Then stamp on them. Or nick them, and run around the playground shouting "smelly geek" at him :D

Seriously fish, I used Antidisestablishmentarianism in an A-level essay the other month. :)

Does that make me sad? :confused:

iron thread
12-27-2001, 10:31 AM
If you are worried about hitting someone wearing glasses in their face, then give 'em the ol' shaolin uppercut in the stomach to fold 'em up real nice, then you won't be able to see that he's wearing glasses, now go ahead and finish it up with another shaolin uppercut (in his face this time, he is catching his wind, so his head along with those "evil glasses" won't be up pretty soon), or if you still have a problem with it, cause you can somehow visualize his d*mn glasses straight through his head, then as he is ****ed up, hammer your fist down with all your strength on the back of his head, or axe kick......whatever man, he's down you can even stick a finger up his rear end if you'd like

By the way, this is not brutal. Because if he striked you first, you aint got no time to worry bout whether he just ment to steal your lunch money, or kill you

Royal Dragon
06-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I steal them, and put them on myself so he can't hit me in the face, then I kick his ass.

roughnready
06-10-2002, 04:41 PM
If they have the guts to attack me, then I have the guts to nail them in their face. It's all apart of self defense and should use it to your advantage. That's of course, if they attack you.

Shadow Dragon
06-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Being spectacled myself.

Most Guys are more worried about cutting their Hands than anything else.

Also what type of glasses was not specified, how about sun-shades or similiar??

Seeya.

guohuen
06-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Is it ethical for a hot stove to burn someone wearing glasses? I believe in logical consequences. Some cretin I used to know avoided prison for years because he had polio and walked with two aluminun crutches. The same ones he used to beat people nearly to death with when he would rob them.
P.S. Use a palm strike so you don't cut yourself. I'm cautious about when I wear glasses. I got hit in the face with an airbag traveling at 200 miles per hour. Destroyed my glasses and cut my face pretty well.