PDA

View Full Version : Advice on NYC schools/picking schools

Desi
12-20-2001, 03:25 PM
I'm a complete beginner to martial arts (not counting a summer camp's worth when I was 10) and I've been looking to find the right school in NYC to begin studying kung fu. However it's become kind of overwhelming and I was hoping for some advice.

There are a lot of schools here, but as far as I can tell the only resources for finding out about them are the yellow pages and a few websites put up by the more techno-saavy schools. I sat in on a lesson and it was *so* far from what I was expecting that I almost gave up on the idea entirely. (IIRC we wouldn't have dropped a pin out of place with our sifu in the room; this school did not subscribe to that philosophy and I was kind of intimidated.)

I think part of my difficulty is that I think I know what would 'fit' as much as a beginner can; I'm very attracted to the idea of learning forms (for many reasons) and would like to have the opportunity to learn weapons forms as well (far far in the future I'm sure). Also I'd feel more comfortable if there were older and/or female students around, although it's not my top priority.

Does anyone know where I could start to find this sort of information, or have any ideas? All advice appreciated, w/ many thanks.

Xebsball
12-21-2001, 08:40 AM
ttt, cos i like to have females here in KFO :D

Mr. Nemo
12-21-2001, 10:42 AM
Most any traditional kung fu school will have you learning forms - the only styles I can think of that don't have them are san shou/sanda and maybe some kinds of shuai chiao. It sounds like you're trying to find a school with the right kind of atmosphere. If that's the case, the only way to find out is to visit the school.

The best I can do is give you the website I give everyone that's ever asked me for a good school in new york - this guy is my sifu (in LA)'s kung fu brother, su yu-chang: http://trinity.psnw.com/~ycsu/mastersu.html

S.Teebas
12-21-2001, 11:45 AM
This guy is supposed to be quite good at Wing Chun.

http://www.vkvt-gledhill.com/

S.Teebas

Water Dragon
12-21-2001, 12:39 PM
Hi Desi,
Check out William CC Chen's school. Be sure and speak with his daughter Tiffany. She'll make you feel right at home.

Here's the website for class info:

www.williamccchen.com

shaolinboxer
12-21-2001, 01:28 PM
Well, it's not exactly kungfu, but

www.shinbudokai.org

We have about 30% women, and most of the students are older than your average kung fu class.

Traditional weapons are taught as well.

Also, I recommend NY Kung Fu and Kickboxing. They have good instructors and lots of females, but it's a younger crowd.

Good luck!

Bak Mei
12-21-2001, 01:39 PM
Well, I tell you this, the best schools will not be found in the yellow pages only the most commercial.

I train with Master Chan Bong in Chinatown, on Bowery Street. He is the best in the city hands down, and those in the know, even other sifus, regard him as such. A very nice man. Has no enemies, even the poeple who have challenged him regard him positively.

He teachers internal arts: Taiji, Hsing-I and Ba Gua. He has a few female students and one of his disciples is a 24 year old young lady.

However, he does not teach form. You will get a piece of the form, but work that application until you can use it to defend.

See, he is a martial artist and has this crazy notion that MA should be fighters, not dancers.

Sound slike you may want to learn WuShu. If that's the case the Yellow pages is the answer or grab the Village Voice. Frank Yee's HUng Gar acadamy advertises in there. He's a good teacher, a good school as well. TRaditional, you'll learn forms as well as fighting applications -- they have a good lion dance team as well.

If you would like to see Master CHan's school, and check it out (everyone is very friendly but serious -- with the exception of a few) drop me an e-mail. I have a girlfriend, my only intrest is in helping out someone interetsed in MA.

There's a lot out there, and unfortunatly (fortunate for some of us) most of it is complete crap -- useless. When someone studies for 5, 10 years, and can't defend themselves, that's a problem. Or should be. Genuinly it isn't consider that by many, because they do forms to impress there friends.

This agrovates me though. I'm for the MARTIAL in MA. Otherwise better off doing tap or Tae Bo.

I'm going to post a seperate thread now.

Good Luck

Bak Mei
12-21-2001, 01:51 PM
I understand the importance of forms. Or, actually, I can entertain the idea of the importanace of forms, slightly.

However, with that said, I detest schools and martial artits that place their focus on forms. How many martial artists are out there who have been studying for 5 years and can't defend themselves worth a crap, but can show you a hell of a form. Disgusting!

Don't even get me started on Wu Shu.

Form without function is dancing. I don't quite agree with the argument that it is a way of catogolzing technique applications to pass down. Because the applications are useless, it's the principles that are important.

Learning application A to defend attack B will only go so far. One obviously does not understand their style if they are at this level -- robotic.

Better to train principles which can be adopted to on many shapes, principles of leverage, or shielding, piercing, drilling, no? Then any attack is viewed as a certain type of energy and delt with accordingly.

shaolinboxer
12-21-2001, 02:02 PM
How did you find out about Mr. Chan Bong?

marcus_pasram
12-21-2001, 02:42 PM
Hi Desi,

No style of Martial Arts is better than another. All have advantages and disadvantages. The difference lies in the practicality of what the SiFu shows you.

You should visit as many schools as you can to do your research. Ask to watch a class. Ask questions about what they are doing and use your common sense to determine if it is practical. Above all - don't let anyone try to mystify any martial art.

You should approach your search with common sense, dedication and caution. New York has many places to learn Martial Arts.

I study Wing Chun Kung Fu in Flushing, Queens. (http://www.wingchunnyc.com) Feel free to come down, view a class and ask questions :)

Other contributors on this forum will suggest many schools and teachers. Ultimately, it is up to you to do your research and choose what is best suited for you.

Good luck!
Marcus