PDA

View Full Version : Technique practice

KC Elbows
11-09-2001, 12:46 AM
I've been working on a particular chin na technique a lot lately. It comes very naturally to me(for an internal technique), so I have been working out ways to get there from lots of different positions(opponent straight kicks, round kicks, opponent comes in on a straight line, at 45, goes for a clinch). My teacher did not suggest this, it just seems like i'm good at this move, and it would help my fighting a lot if I could make this a bread-and-butter kind of technique in my repertoire.
Basically, I'm seeing if others do this, and if this sort of thinking is common to your style, or if it is your own practice, or even if you think it is a bad idea.

Water Dragon
11-09-2001, 12:48 AM
You got it.

JWTAYLOR
11-09-2001, 12:52 AM
Very much so. Now, don't neglect everything else, but looking for diffent ways to apply a technique seems to me at the core of any martial art.

There is nothing wrong with having technques that work for you. When the shiznit gets serious, you need to have something that you know works well FOR YOU.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Tigerstyle
11-09-2001, 12:58 AM
Front kick to the stomach or groin/legs is my bread and butter technique. I haven't personally trained different ways of employing it though. It's just the move I subconsciously go to when I see a good opening or if I am put on the defensive.

KC Elbows
11-09-2001, 01:00 AM
This makes me happy. Especially since it involves pulling my opponent into a phoenix-eye fist with my entire weight behind it. It's like christmas!! :D

Its the sort of move I tend to be good at, and being able to break it out in fighting will buy me time to improve my legtraps, which are really central to our system.

MonkeySlap Too
11-09-2001, 01:30 AM
What the F??? does 'Shiznit' mean? All of a sudden it's all over this board!

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

KC Elbows
11-09-2001, 01:44 AM
The correct way of saying that is "what is friggin shiznit?" Does that help?

Water Dragon
11-09-2001, 03:06 AM
MonkeySlap,
YOU are the shiznit :D

Royal Dragon
11-09-2001, 05:04 AM
Ahhh, You have discovered your Kung Fu.....My son............

Hey, in the heat of battle, I kinda forgot exactly where you posted to me (heck, it could have been an E-Mail for all I know), so I'm just going to say this,

COOL, Seee ya around Christmas. We can eat at Hi View and discuss the empty building on the other side of the parking lot!!!! :eek:

Royal Dragon

Those that are sucessful are also the biggest failures. the difference between them and the rest of the failures is this, they keep getting up over and over again, until they succeed. "The more they try, the more they fail, BUT, the more they try & fail, the more opertunity they have to succeed, and succeed they do!!"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

neptunesfall
11-09-2001, 05:21 AM
finding the techniques that work for you, that come easiest for you, is what it's all about.
learning kung fu - or whatever art - isn't about mastering every single of the literally thousands of techniques within a given system.
"do not fear the man that has practiced 10,000 techniques once. fear the man that has practiced 1 technique 10,000 times.", as the adage goes. quite true.
as a comparison - think of kung fu as language, and of styles as dictionaries. how many words do you actually use in a practical situation?

KC Elbows
11-09-2001, 05:32 AM
:D

MaFuYee
11-11-2001, 06:52 PM
i don't know if monkey spank is the ENTIRE shiz-zat... maybe just a piece of schnizzint.

;)

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

KC Elbows
11-11-2001, 07:25 PM
Ma, you've complicated the whole thing. Now we need definitions for shiz-zat and shizzint!