PDA

View Full Version : Injury Question...

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 10:14 PM
I am wondering if anyone can help. Does anyone know a really effective way to stretch your hips?? I was kicked in my left hip, and now every time I try to go down into the splits...or kick high, or do leg stretches, my hip pops, and it's very painful. I know it needs to be stretched and babied...but I am wondering if anyone knows a good way to go about stretching it out again. Thanks!!

Watchman
12-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Sounds like you've got a tendon tear, Babe. Stretching it out isn't going to help the pain. You've got to let it knit.

Do you have dit da jow? If you don't, email me and I'll send you up some of our potent stuff.

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 10:53 PM
Awe honey, you are too good to me!!

Wu-Xing
12-20-2001, 11:40 PM
i have the same injury, ive had it now for 6 years.it never got better.if i try to high kicks with my right.when i try to move after it, i have to pop my right hip.it still hurts like hell after all this time :(

prana
12-20-2001, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by wushu chik
I am wondering if anyone can help. Does anyone know a really effective way to stretch your hips?? I was kicked in my left hip, and now every time I try to go down into the splits...or kick high, or do leg stretches, my hip pops, and it's very painful. I know it needs to be stretched and babied...but I am wondering if anyone knows a good way to go about stretching it out again. Thanks!!
ligament injuries usually take 6 weeks or so to heal. Further aggrovating it does not help recovery and can cause complex scar tissues. But I am no doctor so my opinion is worth 0 cents :D But if I was you, I would choose to ease out on the stretch

Budokan
12-20-2001, 11:56 PM
It might also be a slight dislocation. This happened to me as I got better and better at stretching and one day dislocated my left hip slightly as I was bending over to pick something up off the floor. Still, all the advice you've received should be followed: take it easy and let the ligaments/tendons heal back fully.

Before you know it you'll be back to your hip stretching self. (Which, come to think of it, is an inviting image...)

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 11:58 PM
I have had so many injuries this year...besides this one, my ankle. I went to the doctors for that one because I thought I broke it. WEEELLLLLLL...come to find out I had "only" pulled a ligament. He told me it would take 4-6 weeks for it to heal, and gave me an air cast, and exercises to do to strengthen it. Funny, IT STILL HURTS. If i land on it to hard, or whatever, it's still feels the same way that it did when I first did it. And, this was over 3 1/2 months ago! OH well.....just another sign of getting older I guess!!!

And Wu......I really don't want to deal with this for 6 years!! That would just SUK. Oh well!

~Wen~

GLW
12-21-2001, 06:53 AM
First, if it is a sprain, strain, or tear, unless you got to it immediately after the injury (not the case here), you need to give it 1 to 2 weeks to mend up before doing any massage.

Reason being that there is a window of opportunity for treatment and then massage can actually mess up the body's natural healing process....the blood vessels are mending and you can break the mend.

After that amount of time, the Dit Da Jow Shuei (the liquid) with a bit of massage can be helpful but the ability to penetrate as deep as you are likely to need is limited.

The next level up is Dit Da Jiao - a salve or ointment - that is put on with a poultice for many hours. This penetrates well but CAN irritate sensitive skin. You also need to know a good herbalist to get it.

In addition to this, finding a good doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine for Acupuncture and Tui Na ....and they would probably also be able to give you the Dit Da Jiao as well...is your best bet.

Be aware, though, that the some of the treatments may be painful...they may have to break up scar tissue...and no matter how you cut it...that hurts.

If this is a tear, it can take a good long time to heal...and may never get exactly right.

fa_jing
12-21-2001, 09:11 AM
I don't know much about your injury, but I have stiff hips, especially one of them. I have to pop them before I can kick correctly. Sucks if I get into a street fight--Hey wait mister, I've got to do this lotus pose--wait, still hasn't popped--Okay, there goes the right one, I'll switch sides--one more minute--dang that didn't work, let me try something else--OKAY, that worked. So, you want to say that to my face, buster????
Seriously, it's getting better, slowly, through streching.
-FJ

wushu chik
12-21-2001, 01:41 PM
I stretched this morning lightly to loosen up. My hip popped so hard and it hurt so badly, that I fell on the floor in pain. Don't know how or WHAT I did, but I am pretty sure it's not a good thing!!! I am going to have to get some Jow and see where that goes....if that doesn't work....looks like it's back to accupuncture!

~Wen~

rubthebuddha
12-21-2001, 02:08 PM
a lot of the people i know that have hip injuries have them because the muscles in the back and sides of their hips are flexible, but the muscles in front, mainly the flexor, is strong as heck from acres of kick but it's terribly tight. my favorite stretch for this:

think like front-to-back splits (not straddle). the back leg is the same, with the top of the foot on the ground and bottom facing up. the front leg is forward, but the inside of the knee is turned upward and bent. so if your right leg is pointed back, your left leg would be forward, left knee in front of your left shoulder and left foot in front of your right shoulder. sink your groin to the ground like any typical split. now lean forward, back straight, put your forearms on the ground in front of you and try to rest your head on them. hold this for at least 30 seconds, then push your chest and head up and away from the ground (similar to yoga's upward-facing dog pose). hold this for another thirty. if you want to make the stretch a little more dynamic, while stretching the front of your body in the last half, point your head straight up and stretch your mouth and jaw.

now my question: does anyone have a name for this stretch? it's one of my favorite, and i have no clue what to call it.

wushu chik
12-21-2001, 03:39 PM
I think by what you described you are talking about a modified hurdler stretch....correct me if i am wrong!!

~Wen~

wushu chik
12-21-2001, 09:23 PM
OK....I now know that I really REALLY need to just be in bed for the next month or two......don't ask...pretty retarted story......just trust me, it was NOT pretty!!

I am getting OLD!
~Wen~