PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow

SevenStar
12-20-2001, 10:54 PM
Do you buy jow from a company, or does your sifu or sigung have a recipe that the school uses to make their own?

wushu chik
12-20-2001, 11:04 PM
There are many places you can get it from. You can get it from MANY many schools, or you can get the recipe and make it youself! But, the stuff takes a while to make, and it STINKS!! So...good luck!

Paul
12-20-2001, 11:55 PM
I've been getting mines from my sifu, but I've been thinking about trying to make my own. Could be an interesting experiment.

Buby
12-21-2001, 06:23 AM
I get my jow from sifu.

Here's a cool site with a few different recipes.

http://www.kumojiujitsu.com/jow_recipe.html

buby

fa_jing
12-21-2001, 10:12 AM
I get mine from a chinese doctor and Tai Chi master, close to where I live in Chicago. I could mail you some, it works well.
-FJ

SevenStar
12-21-2001, 12:11 PM
thanks, guys.

azwingchun
12-21-2001, 12:29 PM
I make my own. My Sifu as about 4 different recipes, though I have only made mine from one of the recipes, I am pretty happy with the results.;)

SevenStar
12-21-2001, 08:22 PM
I went to visit my favorite chinese restaurant. There's a market attached to it. Since I'm acquanted with the people there, I asked about some jow. Turns out they had some, but it looks like it's commercial stuff or something.... the bottle says that it's jow, but it also says "first aid antiseptic" have any of you seen jow of this nature?

wufupaul
12-22-2001, 12:26 AM
Seven, stay away from that stuff, it's cheap. It's basically just dirty water, haha. Follow the advice above; find a martial arts instructor or practicioner of Chinese Medicine to get the good stuff. I've tried several of the generic ones from the herbal stores, they don't work. I've even tried some of the commercial ones from well known sifus, stay away from those, too. I'm not gonna list them here, because I know some of their students post here.:D

SevenStar
12-22-2001, 10:07 AM
You think they'd get offended if I went back and asked for some REAL jow? :D

My sifu gets his from our sigung in chicago, who gets his from somewhere in chinatown, I believe. However, the Iron training I'm doing is not from him, so I am want to get some jow from elsewhere.

I still have some of what was given to me for the training progam I am doing, but will eventually need to get my hands on more. Also, wht's the difference in the jows? All these recipes and things - what's the difference between the jows?

SevenStar
12-23-2001, 03:35 PM
ttt for an answer... what's the difference between jows? do the different herbs in different recipes produce different results, or are some just more potent than others?

MonkeySlap Too
12-23-2001, 03:56 PM
I make my own for myself and my students.

Different formulas are for different purposes. Generally speaking your standard bruise medicine is fairly common stuff. You can find decent recipies in most good Chinese herbalism texts.

However, different schools do weird things to thier jows, includeing obscure ingrediants purported to produce excellent results.

However, most good Chinese herbalists can throw together a decent formula.

Other types of 'Jow' may have specific training purposes - Iron Palm, Golden Shield, winter training, etc..

They may be internal - you drink them or external - you better NOT drink them.

They could be 'hot' or 'cold', bone or blood formulas... I could go on and on, but I'm not into writing a book right now.

E-mail me and let me know what your training, and I can probably tell you what you need.

Syre
12-24-2001, 04:39 AM
I got some jow that seems to be good.

It's made by Lin Sister Herb Shop Inc. 4 Bowery, New York, NY. (212) 962-5417

I don't know if they do mail order.

It came in a small bottle, probably about 2 oz, for $6. The bottle says "Sport Liniment" on it and is marked "For external use only".

It smells very strongly.

The ingredients list is:

T.B. Safflower, Duck feet grass, Eupolyphaga, Dragon blood, Cat's claw, Myrrh, Frankincense

Sho Pi
12-24-2001, 08:47 AM
I have been doing research on this Dit Da Jow for awhile now. However, I can't seem to track down some of the herbs that I need. Does anyone know any good mail order herb stores?

Thanks

Sho Pi

SevenStar
12-24-2001, 11:35 AM
ttt for sho pi

EARTH DRAGON
12-24-2001, 01:47 PM
Make your own! if you want the real thing? that's like asking grandma luigi if she should buy sauce from a jar or make her own. What do you think tastes better? if you dont have the recipe your outa luck. But you can still have spaggehtti it just wont be the same.

wufupaul
12-24-2001, 02:01 PM
http://www.fourseasonsherbs.com/

http://eastearthtrade.com/( I recommend this one, I've ordered from them several times, good stuff!)