PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Alexander Wesler re: martial effectiveness

fa_jing
12-21-2001, 08:56 AM
I got this from the karatebreaking.com website, thought it is an interesting take on the usefulness of Kung Fu.

Begin Quote:

When one trains in the martial arts, there must be confidence in the usefulness of the effort. Many are skeptical as to the effectiveness of martial arts in combat. Will you actually use that in a fight? That stuff is crap, etc.

Let me first qualify the term martial arts, as I am using it. What I refer to is combative, or fighting martial arts. This is the study of effective fighting technique. Fighting martial arts are effective. How can practicing to fight be detrimental to one's fighting ability? Practice makes perfect, or at least pushes you closer to your goal.

Forgive my tiresome use of analogy for a moment, but no one will argue that lifting weights makes one stronger. Yet, I'm sure you know many people who have experimented with weight lifting without showing significant gains in size or strength. It is the same with the martial arts. Consistent training is necessary for results. If you stop training, your abilities will fade. Maybe that black belt meant something when you got it, but if you haven't been training for a while, you may not be worth that piece of cloth around your waist.

It's all the frills of the martial arts that throws off the effectiveness of the training. These are the easiest aspects of training and, unfortunately, the least combat oriented. People get caught up in belts, forms, fancy outfits, sifu this, and sensei that, because they are the easiest to practice. They allow one to feel as if he/she is practicing true martial arts, without hard training. Back to my analogy, what good is lifting a weight in perfect form, if you are curling only five pounds?

Fighting is hard. It hurts. Training for it is always a struggle. Some instructors don't want hard fighting students because they chase away all the others. Let's say, for instance, that one in ten students has true fighting spirit and potential. One of ten does not pay the bills. The instructor chases that student away for "excessive contact" and nurtures the remaining nine who will keep him in business. This is how martial artists get a reputation for not being able to fight. The fact is, most can't. Many are attracted to martial arts schools because they can't fight. They want to learn how or, at least, they think they do. Unfortunately, the instructors do not teach them how to fight, because fighting hurts. Many instructors themselves don't know how to fight. The benefit to learning from professional teachers is that they can devote all of their time to teaching. The downside is that they have to make a living off of it. It is a business first. You must also take into account that, unlike the old days, people now like to file law suits. Having students break ribs can lead to big legal troubles.

When the time comes, they advance students in rank, regardless of ability. Everyone advances, everyone is happy. Sure, the student may not be able to defend himself, but he has a belt that says otherwise.

For those who are just beginning training in the martial arts, I always recommend hard fighting karate over kung fu. This says a lot since I really do prefer kung fu, perhaps due in part to my Chinese background. Still, I recommend karate because it is generally less clouded with mysticism and empty promises. Hard fighting kung fu schools are a rarity, but one can still find hard fighting karate. This style does not promise you something for nothing. There are no doubts regarding effectiveness, as there always are with fancier techniques. If you miss an opponent, practice your aim. If your strike does not produce the desired result, hit harder. Straight forward. Just practice. Then, when you learn how to fight, you can look to expand the depth of your knowledge with the more internal aspects of karate or kung fu. Then you have a strong base. Let's say that chi gung is a farce. Let's say that it is a waste of time, superstition, blind faith. Still, you already know that you can fight so you have nothing to lose.

The iron body training techniques work, plain and simple. I won't kid you about chi, meditations, prayer, whatever. If I were to tell you that I know "metaphysical" training works, I would be lying. If I were to tell you that I know it doesn't work, would also be lying. In the end, you must decide what you will put into your training and, in turn, what you will get out of it. You are the martial artist.

End Quote.

I pretty much agree with what he is saying. Thank God I go to a hard-fighting Kung Fu school. -FJ