PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei (White Eyebrow)

red5angel
12-21-2001, 08:58 AM
Can anyone tell me about this style? Does anyone study or have studied it? I have heard it is similar to Wing Chun?

JWTAYLOR
12-21-2001, 01:04 PM
You should probabbly address this to the forum member by the name of Bak Mei. He will likely be of some help.

JWT

Bak Mei
12-21-2001, 01:16 PM
Actually I have only studied it briefly, not in too much depth. But it is not like Wing Chun. Probably closest to S. Mantis, with a bit of HSing-I forwardness to it in application.

I know there is one Sifu in Chinatown, NYC, and I believe reading of a few in Canada here.

Sorry, this is an old screen name from days when I was doing reseach on the man. A knew name is in the making, just haven't put much thought to it.

Sorry, have a good one.
Ray

Paul
12-21-2001, 01:19 PM
I've just started studying bak mei/lung ying about a month ago.
definately my favorite over any other martial art(s) I have studied.

I have seen a little bit of wing chun.

I've heard that it is similiar to wing chun as well. I think some techniques are similiar. The vertical punch, tan sao and a few other things are I think the same.

Bak Mei seems to make pretty heavy use of the phoenix eye and ginger fist (the technique not the dude on this forum) also. which would be different than wing chun.

rubthebuddha
12-21-2001, 01:43 PM
come on. you know we all want to use ginger fist every now and then, regardless of how we punch.

Paul
12-21-2001, 01:49 PM
yeah, every loves a good ginger fist. heh

but seriously, do wing chun (ving tsun, wing tsun) guys use that technique?

red5angel
12-21-2001, 02:23 PM
I dont think we use this in Wing Chun, it is not a familiar term anyway but may be included somewhere in the advanced applications.......

Paul
12-21-2001, 02:37 PM
ginger fist = leopard fist

ShaolinStyle
10-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Does anybdy have any experience with the White Eyebrow style? There is a school in my area that is considering me for enrollment. I'm going for a second visit this Saturday. Another question, I know horse-riding stance, what is mabou stance?

fa_jing
10-01-2002, 11:23 AM
It is considering you, or you are considering the school???? And Ma Bu is chinese for horse-riding stance. There are some different variations as to foot placement, level of thighs, etc.

Souljah
10-01-2002, 11:29 AM
My friend did Pak mei/white eyebrow when he was younger for a couple of years, he said it was great....!

if you just want some info on the style heres a page i looked at when he told me about it

http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com/

ShaolinStyle
10-01-2002, 11:36 AM
The school is considering me. THe school's sifu is Dr. Wong. His website is www.dryqwong.com He teaches traditional Kung Fu as well as Tai Chi and accupressure. It sounds like a great all-around school. I am just unfamiliar with Bak Mei. Cool thing is, it is in Chattanooga too (where I live).

fa_jing
10-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Well, studying with any great teacher is certainly a privilege for a student. However,

BEWARE OF CONTRACTS

Anon
10-01-2002, 12:09 PM
White eyebrow/ Bak Mei were considered traders in the in the chang dynasty era. They sold out to the goverment and fought to destroy the shoalin temples and the monks, after the fall of the meng dynasty. Just thought I might add this.
Good luck!

Leonidas
10-01-2002, 12:12 PM
It goes something like that but I'm thinking that storie is just a myth.

norther practitioner
10-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Anyone watch the videos on Dr. Wong's site?

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Anyway, the Ming Dynasty ended what - about 380 years ago? That's too long to hold a grudge. As a guy I know in another forum says:

"I'm sick to death of witnessing Bronze Age grudges in modern-day Technicolor action!" (He's talking about Israel and Palestine, but the same principles apply.)

Anon
10-01-2002, 12:19 PM
I just thought it was interesting tidbit..thats it. I didnt know this till last week and its fresh on my mind.

"Some of this legend can be attributed back to the conflicts between the Taoist and Buddhist beliefs, the political conflicts leading to the end of the Ming Dynasty, the coming of the Manchurians and the destruction of the legendary Southern Shaolin Temple."

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2002, 12:23 PM
I don't know what to say to that except "Oh, OK." So, without further ado...

Oh, OK.

Dercetuas
10-01-2002, 12:26 PM
I studied Bak Mei for over a year privately.

It is a very powerful system that is both internal and external.

The stance training is hard and similar to the training in Southern Praying mantis. (Both use the dragon back and phoenix eye fist)

Bak Mei is also related to Lee Gar and Dragon Boxing.

meltdawn
10-01-2002, 01:54 PM
There are a couple of members of this forum who are Dr. Wong's students. Head over to the Southern Forum and ask questions.

fiercest tiger
10-01-2002, 05:38 PM
pak mei's student was a trator i was told and no himself!

i have studied bak mei and yau kung mun for 17 years so far, its a very good system like many.

FT

SanHeChuan
10-02-2002, 12:12 AM
the pictures and vid's are of that chi demo that everyone was making fun of awhile back.

Mr Punch
10-02-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Anon
White eyebrow/ Bak Mei were considered traders in the in the chang dynasty era. They sold out to the goverment and fought to destroy the shoalin temples and the monks, after the fall of the meng dynasty. Just thought I might add this.
Good luck!

The way I was told it by my first wingchun teacher was that Pak Mei sold out the Shaolin to the the Manchurian government, but that this was just prior to the establishment of the Red Boat Opera Society (an offshoot of the dissolution and destruction of the Shaolin temples and order). Round about contemporaneous with the establishment of wingchun, and some versions have it that Yim Wing Chun's son Hung tried to hunt down Pak Mei. If you believe some rather dodgy movies he avenged his father's death by killing Pak Mei. I was told a more likely version was that Pak Mei died before Hung reached him, as he was getting on a bit!

My sifu told me this as a story from Yip Chun, but didn't express any bias in it. He did say that some wcers still consider there to be some rivalry between them and the PMers! Even among foreign schools. Daft!!!

The way my friend's Chinese Pak Mei teacher had it was that Pak Mei's disciples were kidnapped by the Manchurians and he was blackmailed into hunting down the Shaolin, but in fact helped a lot of them to escape.

None of the above is fact! I thought it was a cool story though, and a good example of the 'Chinese whispers' nature of kungfu rivalry!

Former castleva
10-02-2002, 03:21 AM
Jackie Chan studied white eyebrow as far as my knowledge goes,canīt be all bad then I guess.:)
Besides that I know it to be somewhat forward moving style with agressive approach,they have some interesting feinting to it too i think.
Thatīs it.

Mr Punch
10-02-2002, 03:54 AM
Oh yeah!

My friend had lots of good moves, nothing too flashy, and quite economical. He showed me a lot of sucking you opponent in, then sending them out again even more violently. He was especially good at a kind of variation on the wc nat sao move, which involves stepping back a half step or less and crossing your arms over whatever incoming attack to suck it in, followed by a double biu jee/palm/push, etc, or a pivoting strike to send them away again.

It didn't seem to work so well against wc, and I get the impression it would have worked better at a longer range, but that may have just been my friend's level. He did say that it was very much part of it to not be overmuch concerned with taking a few hits so long as you deliver what you got!!

I don't know any more, I'm just feeling particularly 'talkative' today! Best ask someone who knows!!

fa_jing
10-02-2002, 09:29 AM
Yes in the movie "Prodigal Son" the Bak Mei master did that sucking move alot, kind of like a double Lan sao. Also he appeared to use angular footwork and then square up to his opponent in a deep horse stance. This is typical of Southern systems, I think.

Lews
01-14-2003, 06:48 PM
I would really like to know if there are any ""video clips and/or good web pages that discuss this form of kung fu.(not to offend anyone I wanna know about there are not about a whole page on just a lineage) hey fellas if you are out there this one is for you, I gotta be honest, I can't find anything but a paragraph or two on this style and I would really like to see something any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

EarthDragon
02-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I am interested in gathering some info on White Eyebrow. Could someone give me some sites on this art . Thank you ED

Yum Cha
02-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi
Our homepage:
http://www.aaron.net.au/pak_mei/

Links Page:
http://www.aaron.net.au/pak_mei/links.html

The Dutch site is very comprehensive:
http://www.pakmeipai.nl

EarthDragon
02-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Thank you Yum Cha thats what I was looking for. Ed

doug maverick
02-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Why don't you come to our play:
you can check it out at URL:http://www.whiteeyebrowplay.com

trust me it's worth the ride into the city.

Go Jun Long
02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Hum!! What a great way to disrespect the art of Bak Mei. I think you should cancel it.

Lowlynobody
02-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I think you should get a grip.

HungMoJue
02-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Wow! This sounds almost as good as Shaolin-The Wheel of Life, another great peice of...um, work?

EarthDragon
02-24-2004, 03:35 PM
In defense of Doug maverick I dont think that having a play would disrespect the art, but on the contrary expose a rare art to the general public.

Doug I ould like to get to the city more but unfortunaly dont have to much time.

I didnt mean to start anything between anyone. I simply wanted to get some info. I am usually on the northern mantis forum but was told that you southern guys could help me out.

If anyone else has any sites as yum cha gave it would be greatly appreciated. thank you sincerly ED

Go Jun Long
02-24-2004, 03:46 PM
I think it would be disrespectful, due to the fact that it will not expose the art correctly. The US is notorious for doing that and is well known in China that many are incorrect in there assumptions of Bak Mei. Not wanting to start the bickering but just exercising my right at free thought and speech.

MAC
02-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Let's face it, the "play" is no attempt to expose the art at all. You certainly can't expose the art if no one on the stage has any background or experience in the art. I'd read the bios on the actors - and none listed Bak Mei. That argument's a dead issue then.

It's an attempt to exploit someone's version of a story in a dramatic fashion (do you want to call that artistic license??) in the interest of generating the almighty buck. Much like any other entertainment avenue like TV or Movies it's using what might be popular (martial arts) to generate interest with a public in a manner that is just that -"entertaining and of interest". In other words, you can't go expecting to see kung fu in any traditional sense, more a semblance of "wire fu" like in movies. As for the story line ? Well, they have to make that dramatic as well. So what are you left with... ?

Go Jun Long
02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Good thought MAC!

Buddha_Fist
02-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Go Jun Long, aka tsefreeflow, this is for you:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=452961#post452961

TAO YIN
02-24-2004, 09:19 PM
LMFAO!!!

Go Jun Long,

What do you know about Bak Mei truth? Let me guess, your version, is the original version! LOL.

The only thing worse than a Bak Mei practitioner who doesn't know what he is talking about and rides on the name of CLC and the namesake BAAAAAAAK MEIIII,,,,,is a practitioner who knows nothing and rides on the namesake of some other,,,ORIGINAL VERSION...BAAAAAAK MEEEEIIIII.

See, it sucks to be dissed doesn't it? How can you diss Zhoung Luo? Have you ever played hands, sparred, or fought with him? If not, SHUT YOUR FARKING HOLE.

it's ok though, you seem an idiot, and these days, idiots are beginning to reign supreme. lol.

TAO

Go Jun Long
02-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Now why exactly is everyone saying I am dissing Luo. I only state a fact that he does not perform the Bak Mei of my Lineage (Futshan, not CLC, nice try TY) though he states Sigung's name, aka: Not doing it right. Spreading truth is not trouble seeking, but for those who it threatens.
I can really see why Chinese teach selective foreigners, Tao Yin is a great example.
Look at a map. Bak Mei originated in GuangXi, then CLC is GuangZhou. What do you see in the middle of this...Futshan. If you do not trust the Chinese Sifu's word, may-be the map can be of some assistance. Do you think it would make it to GuangZhou before Futshan. Its not likely they would travel around Futshan to reach GuangZhou.
Many say they are best or whatever, I just know from my sifu what is right and wrong, that is all that matters to me.

blooming lotus
02-25-2004, 12:28 AM
dont be so freakin pedantic...for crying out loud dude...getting it out there is getting it out there and anyone who is interested, will no doubt find their deeper truth, otherwise it's just generating interest...all good, you know

:cool: :D

TAO YIN
02-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Go Jun Long states;

"I only state a fact that he does not perform the Bak Mei of my Lineage (Futshan, not CLC, nice try TY) though he states Sigung's name, aka: Not doing it right. Spreading truth is not trouble seeking, but for those who it threatens."

I wasn't trying anything. Zhou states your Sigung's name, and doesnt do the forms right correct? But of course, you do; that is since your versions are original, and your Sifu only taught you the true BAAAAAAAKKKK MEEEEIIIIIIII. It's kinda funny how all of "you" (Zhou included) use the same "original" forms name though. What's a matter? Couldn't you all have made up different names than CLC did??

So Bak Mei originated in Guangxi now? And this evidence comes from???

Go Jun Long states;

"I can see why Chinese teach selective foreigners, Tao Yin is a great example."

Yeah right back at ya, I mean, read what you have posted so far. LOL

;)

You are not spreading "truth," and neither is Zhou, and neither was CLC...just hearsay. And surely, you aren't threatening anyone. That's for sure.

:eek:

It's all quite redundant, huh?

:rolleyes:

:D

Lowlynobody
02-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Hey brother, why do all these guys sound the same to me? Zealots selling their s.h.i.t in sermon type rants to an unrepentant flock. But realy who the hell are these people? And why should anyone care? I mean anyone would think this guy was actualy chinese or something and that he had some profound truth for sale. When realy he is just some american guy in AMERICA who waves his arms about in a perscribed way that may or may not help him to damage another person at some point in time. Like, big deal.

redtornado
02-25-2004, 07:43 AM
WHITE EYEBROW ?? THIS IS A GOOD KUNG FU SYSTEM
VERY DANGEROUS IF USED INCORRECTLY!!
BUT SO CAN ALOT OF SYSTEMS!!
LOOK FOR A SOILD TEACHER..THAT'S ALL I GOT TO SAY!!

JEFFREY WILLIAMS THE RED TORNADO:D

doug maverick
03-02-2004, 10:53 AM
i heard alot **** being said about the play! and i'll say this. most of the cast have train in martial arts for years, i personally have trained in the arts for 16 years. the play is about promoting the martial arts, there is no "wire-fu" style fighting scenes. your judging something you haven't seen(which maks you an ass) the guy who plays bak mei has studied some bak mei. i guessed he just forgot to list it. i no that people who love kung fu and want to see it done right and proper will come to the play.
but for all of you judgemental *******s, f^uck you and everyone who looks like you.Thank you and good day

MAC
03-02-2004, 01:30 PM
"f^uck you and everyone who looks like you."

Ahh, thanks for the chuckle. Anyone who looks like me is pretty well f>cked !

Good luck with your play !

blooming lotus
03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by redtornado
WHITE EYEBROW ??
LOOK FOR A SOILD TEACHER..

....If my teacher was soild...I think I'd go elsewhere ;) :p

GeneChing
09-05-2019, 09:52 AM
'Your so-called Kung Fu... is really... quite pathetic.' READ The Kung Fu of Comic Cons 2019 Part 2 – The Pai Mei Cosplay Experiment at Silicon Valley Comic Con (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1506) by Gene Ching

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/7310_201939SVCC03.jpg

THREADS
Comic Cons (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70242)
Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8021-Bak-Mei-(White-Eyebrow))
Cosplay (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65633-Cosplay)

David Jamieson
09-10-2019, 05:42 AM
A TRAITOR APPEARS!!!

You use SHAOLIN!!

IT IS only ...a little...effective.

:D

GeneChing
03-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Your so-called Kung Fu... is really... quite pathetic. READ Pak Mei: The Art of Lightning Hands (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1584) by Benjamin Colussi

http://www.kungfumagazine.com//admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/images/ezine/6945_Pak-Mei_Lead.jpg

MightyB
04-04-2021, 06:23 PM
PS4 and PS5 gamers are in for a treat. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/sifu

"Kung Fu is a path for the body and the mind. Learn from your errors, unlock unique skills, and find the strength within yourself to master the devastating techniques of Pak-Mei Kung-Fu."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ1YO3Ks2U&t=2s