PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai vs Tae Kwon Do clip

Water Dragon
12-21-2001, 11:07 AM
http://www.muaythai.fi/assets/videot/mastercup.mpg

fa_jing
12-21-2001, 11:22 AM
Why is the tkd guy backing up all the time? Is it because the North Koreans were taught to bite the jugular vein of the South Koreans, so the South Koreans invented a backing up style (something I read.) Well, some things are clear from this clip. One, the TKD guy looked like ****. How can you keep backing up on somebody and expect your blows to have power. Two, the TKD guy did not seem very skilled, although we are only seeing a selection, maybe the whole fight wasn't like that. Three, the TKD guy has no idea what to do now that Thai man is kicking out his support leg. TKD man can't block, he was probably taught that blocking will cause your arms to break. TKD man has no strategy or game plan, he probably has never fought anyone outside his style before. Thai man landed a push kick and a roundhouse kick to the head, both are kicks that TKD man should know how to deal with.
TKD man, keep your hands up, you fool! This leave your hands down crap is only good for hiking up the pants of a sweaty TKD uniform.
I think there have to be better TKD practicioners out there. Although the clip did hghlight some deficiencies of the style.
-FJ

rogue
12-21-2001, 11:46 AM
This thing looks very edited, but the Muay Thai was bad(no punches thrown) but the TKD was worst. A spinning back kick as an attack? :confused: Just pathetic.

fmann
12-21-2001, 12:06 PM
MT man threw some punches and looked okay. This was definitely a brawl, and that's what the MT guy was doing -- just delivering with ease.

Was the TKD guy scared after getting clocked so many times? And that's why he kept backing off? I didn't even see any angular or lateral movement to dodge. Only backing off.

Hands down is a common thing I've noticed with alot of TKD guys for some strange reason.

And one of the interesting observations is that the MT was barreling down on the TKD guy, but the TKD guy still tried to do those hip shifts and stance twists that they do. He got clocked.

Moral of the clip, when in a fight, fight.

SevenStar
12-21-2001, 12:20 PM
The real moral of the clip:
You fight the way you train. He threw those kicks and had his hands down because he trains that way. The MT guy used the punches and the roundhouse kick because he trains that way. MT has spinning kicks; MT has hook kicks, etc. this guy, however, did not use them. He used the roundhouse kick, and used it effectively.

The TKD guy didn't do too much moving, other than backwards. Once again, probably due to training. I don't know many TKD guys that do a lot of side stepping, only moving forward and backward. Naturally, One can walk faster and more balanced going formard than one can going backward, which is why the TKD guy was getting caught with those kicks so much. Also, you could see him hopping a little - those leg kicks hurt him. He was probably too busy thinking about getting away from that kick than anything else. That was apparent to the MT guy, which is why he kept using it.

Xebsball
12-21-2001, 12:33 PM
The TKD was very bad, couldnt punch, always trying to kick even when the range was inapropriate... He was not prepared to play under these rules, he should have prepared himself better for this new evirement (i mean low kicks to the leg, punches and stuff that cant be done or isnt generally done in TKD matches).

The MT guy either was going easy on the TKD guy or else he was not more than an average MT guy. From what he done there i dont think he would do very well in a MT tournament (unless he was not going full power on this fight).

Water Dragon
12-21-2001, 12:35 PM
I think both are amateur fighters. Looks like it may have been under kickboxing rules (no elbows/knees)

shaolinboxer
12-21-2001, 12:39 PM
Gosh, that was kinda depressing :(

Xebsball
12-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Indeed, that probably right, Water.

qeySuS
12-21-2001, 12:43 PM
Well i was taught if your gonna back up at least try to do a counter attack after you go back, dont just run backwards, either do it as you go back (backing off and doing a roundhouse as you switch your front leg back gives you a nice hip thrust into the kick as you back down), or the backkick. (cant beleave it if he tried to attack with it, it's a pure counter attack).

The guy didnt look very confident (well either that or he wasnt very limber), around the 50th second he had a backspin kick pretty well set up but he didnt follow through with it, same thing, he was also trying to do something on the 1 minute mark (not sure what hell it was) but whatever it was he didnt have his heart in it from the get go.

That guy propably would have kicked my ass too though, but then i would have kept my hands up :P

Archangel
12-21-2001, 03:55 PM
Both of these fighters were obviously amateurs. At first i thought the TKD guy was backing up to try to find his range; it soon became obvious that he was running for his life. He came in ill prepared and it was obvious that he hasn't faced anything like this.

So you wanna be fighter?

Nichiren
12-22-2001, 05:10 AM
Yeah, the TKD man sucked! Usually on big tatamis like that the TKD practitioners are like fish in the water but this guy loses to a MT practitioner, that usually spar in a ring?

Bahh....

Cranestyle
12-22-2001, 06:07 AM
I think that the TKD guy had probably only done light point sparring & was not prepared for any type of contact, this is because his techs. seemed to be only one attack, then he would run away.
Obviously he has never trained against low kicks either. The hands down aspect shows a complete lack of sparring experience. However this clip has obviously been edited to show the best of the thai boxer.
TKD man tries to leg it after the first clip as well - a bit hard when you are in a RING

:rolleyes:
very depressing

Gigante
12-22-2001, 09:51 AM
I think the speaker sucked bigtime...

I train TKD and I have one major rule: Don't back up.

SevenStar
12-22-2001, 09:54 AM
Mat, or ring? that really doesn't matter, now does it? Will I get my butt kicked on the street just because I am used to rings and mats? Sire, the feeling is different, but you gotta adapt. As for the low kicks, I don't know of many TKD players who do work defending them. I may be wrong, but I don't think you get points for leg kicks in TKD. Also, in TKD, face contact is not allowed, however, you can contact the side of the head. YOu cannot even throw punches at your opponents head; You will be penalized whether it lands or not.

It goes back to what I said earlier in this thread...you right how you train. The TKD player is used to TKD rules, which was obvious in his fighting. He's not accustomed to leg kicks; the MT guy figured this out and used it to his advantage.

qeySuS
12-22-2001, 09:57 AM
Your right Sevenstar, although ITF TKD has punches to the head i think, but no legkicks i beleave.

In my first tournement i got a minus because i did a roundhouse, and missed, but i didnt stop in midair with the kick i just let it flow and then twisted around from it into a spinning backfist (donno if you get what i'm saying, but it's basicly roundhouse, finish that and go into spinning backfist), i stopped it waaay before i even came close to hitting his head (i never fully extended the arm) but just because i meant to do it i got a minus point.

Johnny Hot Shot
12-22-2001, 10:16 AM
This is not a Muay Thai is better than TKD post but I just wanted to chime in and say that after watching that clip I was not impressed by either fighter.

My experience has led me to belive that kicks especially low kicks are very devistating.
To an unconditioned fighter (Perhaps the TKD guy) one kick to the thigh can end a fight very quickly.

The TKD fellow looked as if he was getting his a$$ handed to him.

Like 7* says you fight like you train, therefore if you are not conditioned to take the abuse of a low kick and you step up to a challenge form someone who uses them you should be prepared.

For me conditioning is as much apart of my training as arew push ups. Lasty time I went toe to toe with a Muay Thai fighter my legs hurt for a few days after and we were only going 40%.

Keep it real.

Kicking to the head is great for training.

This makes me wonder??? is modern day TKD more for sport or combat?

Gigante
12-22-2001, 10:17 AM
When I start competing in TKD some time next year, I'm gonna confuse my opponents by changing style in the middle of the fight.
.. lifting my hands up MT style and start doing low kicks... then suddenly do a double leg takedown...

SevenStar
12-22-2001, 10:36 AM
It depends on the school you are at, as with anything else, but for the most part, I would say sport - at least in my area. I have several friends that train TKD that don't focus on olympic sparring though, and they are EXTREMELY good. Like anything else, it depends on the school. We had one of these sport TKD guys come in "interested" in seeing kung fu. Sifu let him spar with the younger belts (this guy was a red belt) assuming that he would know to use control against a yellow sash. He did not use control and did some damage to the yellows. One of our senior students was like "Sifu, I wanna spar him, let me fight him" so sifu let him. The TKD guy ended up with a bloody nose, and had the nerve to say "I thought you were supposed to spar with control" sifu said "you didn't think about that when you were fighting the yellow sashes" the guy hasn't come back since.

I hate that I wasn't there that day, but ah well, he got what he deserved anyway.

rogue
12-22-2001, 01:53 PM
Some people get used to the padding, hoses up their control. That's one reason why we switched to a cup, a mouth piece and that's it. OK maybe some light shin guards.

In regards to the low kicks, I remember when TKD fighters used leg sweeps, which when done right is close to a low leg kick, when did that technique fall away?

straight blast
12-23-2001, 12:54 AM
Neither fighter was particularly impressive. But it must be said that the TKD guy absolutely sucked. He'd obviously never been kicked in the thigh before, and he was way out of his depth. But the MT guy could have finished that "fight" in about 5 seconds if he knew what he was doing. All he did was played with the TKD boy. I'd have finished it. Quickly.

I've got a bad attitude :D

I would have liked to see that fight with two people who had some idea of how to fight. I always liked sparring with TKD people. I love thigh kicking them and then when they get up they say "We don't train those".

Obviously.

I'm sure that one day I'll get my a$$ handed to me by a TKD guy considering how much crap I put on TKD. But I daresay not in the near future :D