PDA

View Full Version : Yang style instructors in LA area

ctran
12-21-2001, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Could you guys point me in the direction of a good Yang style Taichi instructors in the LA area?

Thanks,

Chris

Sum Guye
12-21-2001, 01:20 PM
what part of LA are you in?

I know of a good teacher (although somewhat ornery) in
China town.... teaches form and function.... combat Yang Tai Ji.

And I know of a good forms teacher in Studio City... only teaches
form and chi gung... you wont learn any of the martial aspect there, but her form work is beautiful.

and the greatest teacher around is down in Garden Grove, a bit of a haul but very much worth it. His Yang style is usually taught in private lessons (he's very affordable) and he teaches form and function also.... a great, great teacher and all around cool guy.

Let me know what you're interested in learning.
Shane

ctran
12-21-2001, 01:29 PM
If it's at all possible, I'd like to know their names. I need to ask my current sifu to find out which style is most compatible with his teachings.

Thanks,

Chris

bamboo_ leaf
12-21-2001, 02:24 PM
If you check this link there might be a branch school close to you.

www.tungkaiying.com

luck in training

Sum Guye
12-21-2001, 03:43 PM
okay, since you don't want to narrow the field I rekon I'll type'em all up for you....

Garden Grove: Tim Cartmell (www.shenwu.com)
has an impressive record of full contact, open class tournament championships during the 11 years he studied in China.
Teaches bagua, Xing-Yi , BJJ and has students from all across the US who fly in for private lessons in Yang, Sun and Gao style Tai Ji.
A very inteligent, kind, funny person and one of the most enjoyable, knowlegeble teachers you'll find. Teaches IMA for fighting. Very valuable stuff...which is super affordable.
(I live in Eagle Rock, work in Woodland Hills and make the trek down to Tim's twice a week... the guy rocks.)

China Town: Bob Fisher (Alpine Rec Center Sundays at 11am $5)
teaches Yang Style. He's good but can be a bit abrasive (reminds me of Yang Ban Ho). He teaches form and function. He's a nice guy under all the needles.

Studio City: Doria Nelson-Cook (Angel City Yoga)
teaches Yang forms and Chi Gung. (I haven't seen her in years,
if she isn't still teaching at Angel City, they'll know how to reach her). She has beautiful form but doesn't delve into the martial side at all. If you simply want to feel healthier, she's a great teacher.

I know of others.... but you'll have to indicate how far you're willing to travel before I'll bother listing them all out.

Good Luck,
Shane