PDA

View Full Version : What exactly are forms?

Apprentice
12-21-2001, 07:32 PM
This probably sounds like the stupidist(nice word eh?) question...but someone said something on the northern praying mantis forum, are they ALL fighting techniques? or is there something else about them?

Budokan
12-21-2001, 07:34 PM
They involve fighting techniques, trapping techniques, grappling techniques, sweeping techniques, mental techniques, blocking techniques, striking techniques, etc.

SevenStar
12-21-2001, 08:28 PM
forms are a way of practicing the prinicples of your style. take the single whip in taiji, for example. there are numerous applications of it. Forms give you a framework to work with.

Kristoffer
12-22-2001, 03:55 AM
Forms are not only fighting techniques. Forms are made to be used as a training device. To train different aspects and muscle groups. For example, our Tiger form build alot of streanght in the legs. with powerful, low stances done in a kinda slow, tiring way. Crane builds speed and accuracy, it is the perfection of body movement and body control. Panther is similar to Tiger but fast, dynamic more agressive I think...

etc etc..

Weapon forms usually tend to be ONLY fighting techniques, but this is what I have experienced in my weapon training so far.

There are forms that is designed for health. Look at Taiji and the main benefit is health, and that is what u learn first. The martial side of it takes a LONG time to learn.

Kristoffer
12-22-2001, 03:58 AM
Forms are great, but u cant learn how to fight ONLY doing forms. On the flip side, I hink that u can be a lot BETTER at fighting if your style include forms training.

That, and they impress chicks! :D

Black Jack
12-22-2001, 07:55 AM
:o

Yeah, a lot of the top MMA fighters do forms.

:rolleyes:

P.S. Oh, and weapon work also improves the attributes of the student to a good degree, body awareness, speed, flow, focus, attack-based mindset.......