PDA

View Full Version : Help with Blood Infections.

Narmer
12-21-2001, 08:42 PM
My mother has recently been diagnosed with a blood infection. :(

She's on huge doses of antibiotics, which I'm not too thrilled about, and they don't seem to be helping that much. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest something that could help her out.

Any traditional medicine would have to be smuggled past the doctors and nurses; but any information or suggestions would be great, because I'd really like to see her out of hospital before Christmas.

Thanks...

Fish of Fury
12-21-2001, 09:05 PM
HIGH doses of echinacea and/or garlic could help.(but it's always best to check with a health professional)

This is from the current BMJ (british medical journal)

BMJ 2001;323:1450-1451 ( 22-29 December )

Beyond science?
Effects of remote, retroactive intercessory prayer on outcomes in patients with bloodstream infection: randomised controlled trial
Leonard Leibovici, professor.

Department of Medicine, Beilinson Campus, Rabin Medical Center, Petah-Tiqva 49100, Israel

leibovic@post.tau.ac.il

Objective: To determine whether remote, retroactive intercessory prayer, said for a group of patients with a bloodstream infection, has an effect on outcomes.
Design: Double blind, parallel group, randomised controlled trial of a retroactive intervention.
Setting: University hospital.
Subjects: All 3393 adult patients whose bloodstream infection was detected at the hospital in 1990-6.
Intervention: In July 2000 patients were randomised to a control group and an intervention group. A remote, retroactive intercessory prayer was said for the well being and full recovery of the intervention group.
Main outcome measures: Mortality in hospital, length of stay in hospital, and duration of fever.
Results: Mortality was 28.1% (475/1691) in the intervention group and 30.2% (514/1702) in the control group (P for difference=0.4). Length of stay in hospital and duration of fever were significantly shorter in the intervention group than in the control group (P=0.01 and P=0.04, respectively).
Conclusions: Remote, retroactive intercessory prayer said for a group is associated with a shorter stay in hospital and shorter duration of fever in patients with a bloodstream infection and should be considered for use in clinical practice.

What is already known on this topic
Two randomised controlled trials of remote intercessory prayer (praying for persons unknown) showed a beneficial effect in patients in an intensive coronary care unit

A recent systematic review found that 57% of the randomised, placebo controlled trials of distant healing showed a positive treatment effect
What this study adds
Remote intercessory prayer said for a group of patients is associated with a shorter hospital stay and shorter duration of fever in patients with a bloodstream infection, even when the intervention is performed 4-10 years after the infection

Narmer
12-21-2001, 09:50 PM
Thanks Fish...

I'm even prepared to turn to prayer at this point, and I'll get her to try the combined echinacea/garlic medications which are available.

Those mortality rates are pretty **** terrifying...
I didn't realise it was so serious.

Fish of Fury
12-21-2001, 11:53 PM
well, it probably depends very much on the type of blood infection (that's why it's always better to see a good health care professional than listen to people on the internet :) )

there will be a whole lot of factors that effect the outcome, but i do know that garlic and echinacea can be very helpful.
you still need to consider the possibility of interaction with pharmaceutical drugs eg. i'd be careful to a degree if she's on blood thinning meds (?)

good luck, i hope things work out well

Narmer
12-21-2001, 11:59 PM
thanks again!

I'll run everything past the doctor instead of smuggling it in.

I've also been told that 20,000 mgs of vit C a day will be helpful. Sounds like a lot, but vit C is harmless unless the dose is REALLY massive.

The only meds she's on are falagel (spelling??) penicillin, and another antibiotic, and H.I.T. Nothing which I know to be blood thinning, but then again I don't know that much...

Thanks again.:)

Outcast
12-22-2001, 08:09 AM
I have read recently that Grapefruit is a good detoxifier especially for helping the liver and flushing out the kidneys. The oil is suppost to be good when used in steam inhalation, as well as being a good food/drink. Its high in vit C so you may want to make sure its not going to overload her if she is on high doses of the vitamin. It may be worth running it past her doctors.

I hope it all goes well for her.

prana
12-22-2001, 03:32 PM
prayer iin sanskrit

om namo bhagawate beshajye guru
vaidurya prabha rajaya tathagataya
arhte sammyaksambuddhaya tadyatha
om bheshajye beshajye maha beshajye
beshajye rajaya samungate svaha

May all beings be auspicious! I make my prostration to you who destroyed the enemy of negative life cycle changes, who has thus gone to the state of enlightenment like other Buddhas, who perfectly accomplished the quality of the Buddha, the supreme physician who is fully liberated and awakened, the enlightened one, Medicine Buddha. Lapis Lazuli, King of the physicians.

Fish of Fury
12-25-2001, 03:27 PM
Vit C can be good too.it's possible to get vit C IV if the doctor will do it, or you can take the tablets.
if you take too much vit C orally it can give you diarrhoea (not a long term problem...basically it's just whatever cant be absorbed into the blood, absorbs water in the bowel and causes diarrhoea)

so i'd say Vit C is worth trying too

how's your mother doing now, anyway?