PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Wu Mei.........

Leonidas
12-23-2001, 02:27 PM
.........and please i dont mean the Nun. I'm talking about the style she supposedly created. The system which is inherited by Ken Lo, and who is this Peng guy, never heard of him. Anyway descriptions would help. Like what style does it closely resemble, all that good stuff.

brucelee2
12-23-2001, 10:02 PM
I used to study Wu Mei with Professor Chow in NYC before he died. Wu Mei is known as the mother style of wing chun but not having done too much wing chun I can't say how similar they are. You should ask Lyle, he used to be a student teacher there. I heard Ken Lo sucks, by the way, but have never checked him out. Personally, I prefer hung gar.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-24-2001, 05:04 AM
i'd like to screw the nun.

Leonidas
12-24-2001, 07:19 AM
About being the mother of Wing chun. I went to Wing Chun Kuen's Archive. I cant't remember what the name of it was, but it was about Masters interpretation of the style, so i clicked on a couple of names and there was dozens of different forms. So why does everyone say that Wing Chun only has only 3 open hand forms. Did those people steal forms from other styles. One person had like 15+ different forms. How does that relate to Wu Mei which is the style i'm talking about. Can someone give more detailed info.

Leonidas
12-24-2001, 12:58 PM
Forget it, I changed my mind (again:rolleyes: ) anyway. That question about Wing Chun is still relevant though. Where did all the forms go????????????????????

Shaolindynasty
12-24-2001, 02:45 PM
I think the key to wing chun is trimming away the unessential movements, that could be why they only have 3 forms. I once heard about a wing chun Sifu who said "If we could only have 1 form that would be even better". I don't know wing Chun though so maybe somebody else could give some input.

Leonidas
12-24-2001, 02:50 PM
Maybe that saying came out of the fact that someone deleted dozens of forms.

Shaolindynasty
12-24-2001, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah I forgot you had a problem with deleting stuff:rolleyes: Why keep unessential movements? If the 3 forms they have now hold all the key principle and movements why keep a bunch of unreleated nonsense? You should realise that good Kungfu is about minimizing and collection a bunch of junk. Simplicity is the key to any good KF style.

yuanfen
12-24-2001, 03:46 PM
Shaolindynasty sez:I once heard about a wing chun Sifu who said "If we could only have 1 form that would be even better".
---------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUALLY AT A CERTAIN LEVEL THAT ACTUALLY IS THE CASE!!!!

But you first have to get A right, then B then C....before you are
on your way....<g>.:) :) :) after sam pai fat.!! At the end.

Leonidas
12-24-2001, 04:50 PM
My question was are those forms really from Wing Chun and where are they now?

yuanfen
12-24-2001, 05:56 PM
There are different lineages in wing chun and different "his-stories". Yip man lines (except one) has 3 forms and say that is sufficient. Some mainland and non Yip Man lines have more than 3 forms. In the Yip man lines supposedly Yip Man trimmed out repeated motions out of the form. Then there are "gu lao" wing chun folks who have
"separate movements" some of which are not in the Yip man forms. In most subjects- there can be textbooks and textbooks can vary in their emphasis on this chapter or that. Same with forms. Good teaching, good lab work, good practice and good application
are also important in wing chun. IMO.