PDA

View Full Version : What is wushu?

Yung Apprentice
12-24-2001, 06:48 AM
I have absolutely,positively no knowledge of this art whatso ever. I used to think it was an internal art. But I don't know. ( keep in mind I just recently have been looking into CMA)

Shaolin
12-24-2001, 07:45 AM
"Wushu" means martial art, generically speaking. Modern wushu is a mixture of traditional martial arts mixed with dance and gymnastics. The wushu athlete will typically focus on speed, flexibility and power, it's a competition oriented art. Amazing to watch, fun to do, not my first choice for self defense but that's my opinion.:)

GLW
12-24-2001, 12:43 PM
"Wushu" means martial art, generically speaking. "

right... technically, Chinese Martial Arts are ZHONG GUO WUSHU, American Martial Arts would be MEI GUO WUSHU, English...YING GUO WUSHU, etc....

"Modern wushu is a mixture of traditional martial arts mixed with dance and gymnastics. "

Not at all true. There HAVE been some gymnastics moves added but to include dance shows a lack of understanding. Modern Wushu is based most heavily on northern styles such as Zha Quan (Cha Quan) and has been modified to enhance the visual aspects as well as standardized for judging criteria.

A common misconception is that the applications were removed....Not true of the older versions of the compulsory routines...for example, the Old Changquan routine is essentially Cha Quan...but MOST Contemorary athletes do not train or get an understanding of the applications. This does NOT mean they are not there...merely that the training of the person is lacking.

With the level of competition what it is, it is next to impossible for a person to train to a high level for Taolu (form) and also be a top competitor in Sanda (Sanshou)....applications. The pity is that many do not delve into the roots of the arts for deeper levels.

Now, the new routines that just came out are a different story...they ar just BAD routines...they do not flow, they have broken the connection to the roots of wushu, and they have taken techniques that are NEVER meant for routines or for application and dropped them in for level of difficulty. If this trend persists, then what folks say about Contrmporary Wushu will come to be a reality.

"The wushu athlete will typically focus on speed, flexibility and power, it's a competition oriented art. Amazing to watch, fun to do, not my first choice for self defense but that's my opinion."

I tend to agree....but mainly because if you are training at the level of a competitor as required to compette with Chinese Taolu folks, you are hitting 6 hours a day or better for a long time....just for routines. It leaves nothing for applications.

For international competition, there are those who question whether or not it is possible for anyone to compete with them due to the age they start at, the hours they put in, the government sponsorship, etc.... like tryong to compete with a a pro when you are truly a rank amateur....

DelicateSound
12-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Either:

A: A well-rounded highly skilled martial art
B: Chinese dancing with kicks.

Just telling it like it is.