PDA

View Full Version : Help! v.2

African Tiger
12-25-2001, 08:42 PM
I'm reposting this from the main forum page!

I had a week long battle with a stomach virus and a newly diagnosed case of GERD or Acid Reflux disease. You know, all those Prilosec commercials and shizmit?

I basically puked anything more solid than Ramen, couldn't drink anything stronger than water or gatorade, got headaches, no sleep, and a painful burning sensation in my throat. During my battle, I lost nearly 11 pounds, and since I was unable to train, lost tons of muscle/chi/flexibility.

After dragging myself to the, ahem, "real doctor's office" yesterday, he put me on a medication which cut the symptoms in half. However, I'm aware that other people who got this in the past, have been put on lifelong drug therapy, costing hundreds of dollars per month. To quote Cypress Hill, "I ain't going out like that!"

Ok, does anyone have any suggestions on the holistic healing tip? Any chi rebuilding exercises, or herbal therapy, or ? Please respond here, or use the email link.

Thanks and Merry Chirstmas!

xiong
01-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear that. I had a problem with esophageal reflux back in the late eighties, too much anxiety and coffee.

I was put on some horse pills and a restricted diet and after 3 months or so started feeling more normal. I basically ate babyfood during that time, one beer would burn like all get out and make me want to puke.

The restrictions were no acidic juices(OJ etc), only skim milk dairy products, No fried foods, no spices, no chocolate.

There may have been more but those are the ones that stand out. The idea is you need to get back to being able to keep down food and minimize the damage to your plumbing. The banned foods for one reason or another stimulate an over production of acid and because the valve on your stomach entry opens at the wrong time you get burnt causing an esophageal ulcer.

I ate alot of pablum(baby cereal), cottage cheese and Tuna fish.

Also things like chewing gum and mints should be avoided as they also stimulate acid production.

I wish I could help you with herbs but I don't know enough about it. Perhaps my case wasn't so serious, I seemed to have made a full recovery, but it hurt like hell. Just experiment with various foods, as I recall it was very easy to tell which ones weren't going to work. Good luck.

Repulsive Monkey
01-22-2002, 10:25 AM
...could be beneficial to your problem, if not for purely stimulating and Tonifying Stomach and Spleen Qi to re-stabilise your digestion.