PDA

View Full Version : Xmas gift: spyderco knife

Bak Mei
12-26-2001, 07:16 AM
Great gift! My girl got me a Starmate spyderco knife. Great pocket knife. 3.5 inch blade, so it's legal here in NYC, but more than enough to get the job done.

Anybody else get any cool weapons? They make the best gifts, don't they?

Budokan
12-26-2001, 09:30 AM
No weapons, but I got "Martial Musings" by Robert Smith and two of the Best Karate books (Kumite II and Bassai, Kanku) by Nakayama. Those were the MA oriented presents, anyway...

Bak Mei
12-26-2001, 09:37 AM
How is martial musings? I read his Chine Boxing Methods and found it to be great.

Is it avialable in stores, or only through the magazine ad?

Qi dup
12-26-2001, 09:42 AM
Right on Bak Mei, Those spyderco knifes are really nice, They last forever!

Johnny Hot Shot
12-26-2001, 09:53 AM
But I lost it. Actually I have had numerous cool clip style knives over the years but I have either lost or misplaced them.

This Christmas my girl got me a Gerber Covert Opps. Very nice it's my favorite gift:D

TaoBoxer
12-26-2001, 04:42 PM
Steel is the perfect gift......

Bak Mei..... I am an instructor at the Sig-Arms Academy (sig-sauer's training school) In Exeter New Hampshire. A good friend of mine teaches a great knife course using almost exclusively Spyderco's.

Only 5 hrs away...... If you're interested let me know. We get a lot of New Yorkers.

Merry Xmas

Budokan
12-27-2001, 11:38 AM
I'm about halfway through Martial Musings now and it's great--but of course I'm something of a Robert W. Smith fan. His writing gets a little pretentious at times, but I forgive him because, well, he's Robert W. Smith. It's full of great insights about Draeger, Bluming, Kimura (sp?) and a host of other MA luminaries.

Smith also waxes philosophically on a range of other subjects: Bruce Lee, Ultimate Fighting (which he lables in less than illuminating terms), internal arts, Judo (of course), and others. I

It's one great book. I think my wife got it from half.com a good place to pick up MA books for an often very cheap price. In just the eight months I've been ordering books from half.com their martial arts section has grown by a couple of orders of magnitude. Check it out--they also often have hard to get or out of print classics....

Bak Mei
12-27-2001, 01:28 PM
I'm getting that book this weekend. Thanks. I really enjoyed Chinese Boxing Methods -- a must have.

Happy New Year.

MightyB
12-27-2001, 01:49 PM
kind've related to your stories, but not really.

A cheap place to get weapons is from Bud K. Not sure of what their web address is, but they are inexpensive. Found the site by accident.

Crimson Phoenix
12-27-2001, 04:10 PM
Lucky you!! I wish someone could offer me a Bob Lum chinese folder, or a Benchmade 42...or uuhhhh..****, that new M.O.D ATAC looks mmeeaaaannnnn...
Some guys get all the luck :)