PDA

View Full Version : Are they any styles that can teach you how to effectively kick while on the move ?

phantom
12-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Are they any styles which can effectively teach you how to kick while using good footwork to evade your opponents attack and to create openings in his defense? Thanks in advance.

Bak Mei
12-26-2001, 09:44 AM
This is a Ba Gua specialty, and Hsing-I uses it as well.

All styles will claim as such, but I do not agree.

My sifu teaches a method where every kick has the same pick up, a sort of wedge that starts with the knee being raised past the center. Not only does it protect the groin (a side benefit) but it creates a wedge when used with say the Hsing-I driving chicken step it drills right through whatever kick is coming in: defendse/offense.

A side kick would be wedged and then a kick to the suporting leg follows emediately. Or, in the first palm change, you shield the attack, a strike to the head coincides with a side kick to the leg as flowing to the outside. This one is hard to explain without making it sound like rudimentary Katate side kick (I studied Isshin-Ryu my entire youth, 4 to 18 and know that kick well).

I find conventional kicking to be dangerous -- for the kicker. Very telographic and leaves one off balance. Most Karateka lean back to make their kicks higher -- dangerous. Momentum and weight must be going forward, driven off the back leg. Advanced theory, and even a lot of Ba Gua out there does it diferently. My sifu had the advantage of trainign with the Ba Gua founder's disciple (though old) and son (mostly) while training with a Hsing-I master, so he would go from one to the other and find ways to counter each. He has a very unique perspective. As an aeronotical engineer in China he takes a very scientific aproach, and spends all his time contemplating such things.

I am very fortunate. IF you are in the NYC area, or will be at some time, drop me an e-mail, come check it out. I guarantee you will jnot be disapointed!

EARTH DRAGON
12-26-2001, 10:20 AM
8 step praying mantis!
but I must agree with bak mei for our footwork IS ba gua and not many others styles actually do it as effeiciently if at all.

Tvebak
12-26-2001, 05:31 PM
Capoeira:)
Many of the intro to kicks are defences in themselves, and many of the kicks contain hidden applications, throws sweeps and scissors etc.
I think Bagua and Capoeira shares the idea of constant movement, my xingyi teacher, who allso practise bagua and taichi, said that the two arts share a lot of things and will be good if practised together...

jon
12-26-2001, 08:35 PM
Many styles at a higher level have some good kicking skills though some styles certainly have some advantages.
In Hung Ga we have Mo Ying Gerk [Shadowless kick] which is a way of performing kicks with footwork and offensive hand movements which make them VERY hard to block if you see them at all.
Wong Fai Hung[hungs most famous master] was well known for his kicking skills all over southern china.
The trick is not what the kick is, its when the kick is :p

neptunesfall
12-27-2001, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Bak Mei

A side kick would be wedged and then a kick to the suporting leg follows emediately. Or, in the first palm change, you shield the attack, a strike to the head coincides with a side kick to the leg as flowing to the outside. This one is hard to explain without making it sound like rudimentary Katate side kick (I studied Isshin-Ryu my entire youth, 4 to 18 and know that kick well).

could you explain this a little more? if it is what i'm thinking, the
most practical application of this is a throw...

JWTAYLOR
12-27-2001, 09:32 AM
American Kenpo kicks from moving positions in serveral techniques. And while it is much more deceptive and safer for the kicker, I find it incredibly difficult to do. Moving quickly while kicking hard and accurately is a quite the feat.

JWT

rogue
12-27-2001, 10:07 AM
Some of those spinning kicks in Korean arts that are so-so when squared up against someone, work quite well when you've angled off and are then coming in from the side. Still takes mucho work.

Bak Mei
12-27-2001, 11:20 AM
I couldn't agree with Jon's last statement more.

Neptune, I meant to say against a round house kick. Against a round house above my waist I will wedge it with my arm, never taking its full force. I keep a shield like this: ||, that's elbot to wrist. Against a right round house I'll shape it like this: /|, but the / will be more lateral so the force can go up, the other arm shield it to make sure, from here you can just dump the guy down, or be vicious and break the supporting leg with a kick and attack his head.

Against a lower round house, like a Tai Boxer, when the kick comes, I always start my kicks with the same pick up, knee in, this creates a wedge, I can drive right through like a snow plow or, attack his support leg with a round house, from the wedge position, I'll actually take the kick a bit for it adds momentum into my kick. In Ba Gua, one actually learns to take certain blows, especially to the body or leg, it;s a good tradeoff. I'll intentioanlly open up my body so I can either break the arm after it hits my torse by collapsing on it (special HSin-I trick here) or simply attack the head or throat for a positive trade off.

These are really tough concepts to bust out while at work and being monitered for time. It could be explained in words and pictures, but not a graph really.

Anyway, hope all is well.

Good post Jong.