PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Jook Lum mantis and iron ox mantis?

phantom
12-26-2001, 09:26 AM
Since they are both considered southern mantis styles, how are these styles similiar and diferent from each other? Thanks in advance.

JF Springer
12-26-2001, 10:53 AM
SPM is being discussed on the main forum site in a thread entitled Why is SPM so Secretive. You have absolutely no information in your personal profile and your E-mail address is blocked. Therefore, you read like a troll or someone from a group seeking to insert discord into an orderly discussion. If this is not the case I suggest you modify your profile to reflect who you are as well as your lineage before entering the SPM discussion. If you enter the thread in your current state it is doubtful you will be addressed directly. JFS

Steven T. Richards
12-26-2001, 11:23 AM
Hello Jack,

Sadly a necessary cautious approach as there has been a lot of attempts to wreck harmony in SPM in the past from miscreant groups and individuals.

Phantom,

I'm sure if you are genuine you will understand. What I will say as a representative of but one Pai within the broader Jook-Lum family, is that Iron-Ox is a most repected Lam-Pai Tong-Long Kuen, with excellent representation in the UK under Si-Fu Edward Barrios, lineage holder from his late Si-Fu and Grandmaster.

'Pazmoot' who posts on the main forum amongst others, is a student of Si-Fu Edward. He would be a good person to ask about similarities and differences as he has seen some Jook-Lum, and, I understand has somelearning in Chu & Chow Gar Pai Lam-Tong-Long.

My own limited technical understanding is that it is similar in some interesting ways (interesting to me personally) to my own Lee-Yin-Sing Pai Jook-Lum. No doubt there are differences too, which we should expect in a group of related Pai, which despite being one larger family from a single common root, has nevertheless diversified intelligently over the generations and the years, into the rich flowering that we have today.

Reading (briefly) some of your earlier posts, you seem (?) to have some interest in Northern Mantis.

May I respectfully inquire into your background and if you have any experiences of either Jook-Lum or Iron-Ox Mantis styles?

Regards,

Steve Richards.
PS if you have contributions to make to the debate over on the main forum, I'm sure that you would be most welcome on that thread.

Water Dragon
12-28-2001, 02:16 PM
Question for ya. I like to follow the SPM threads here. Well, I like to follow the posts that don't involve bickering :D

The impression that I'm getting is that SPM is a lot like Western Boxing. Everyone has their own style and their own preferred training methods, but if you see boxing, you know it's boxing.

Is this correct in your opinion?