PDA

View Full Version : The 2 Fold Path of Dynamic Tension

neptunesfall
11-11-2001, 02:14 AM
a very cool article i found on www.cyberkwoon.com (http://www.cyberkwoon.com)

http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/article.php?sid=132

Twofold Path of Dynamic Tension
Posted by: mantis108
By Robert Hui July 21, 2001

“To go fast, one must first slow down” is a popular philosophical point of view in Chinese martial arts.
*Taijiquan, an internal art, uses this concept as a training methodology. Even an external style like the Hung Gar has dynamic tension form, Tit Sin Kuen, as strength and Qigong building routine. The slow and laborious movement of Tit Sin Kuen (Iron Wire Fist) best exemplifies dynamic tension, which is said to have the ability to transform a weakling into a strong person. Looking into the physiology of the dynamic tension, one can’t help but wonder the wisdom and knowledge of the masters of the pass. The vocabulary and terminology might not be the same because of cultural differences; however, it is quite remarkable if the western terminologies are used to analyze dynamic tension.

Dynamic Tension has a twofold path. It simultaneously uses musculoskeletal stresses and isotonic to build speed and strength. There is a powerful stretch and deliberate push action with a very focused mind. Breathing is coordinated through the intense yet relaxed mental focus.
The musculoskeletal stress, the stretch, as found in the Kiu Sao, is done with the hands raised at shoulder level. The tip of the upright open palms, fingers wide apart pointing upward and the thumbs pointing forward, should align both vertically and horizontally with the shoulders. Without loosing the alignment, the elbows are dropped in a deep V shape. After a 30 seconds pause, the fingers, except, the index fingers, are bent into claw shape. The hands are then drawn to the sides of the chest without loosing the stretch. A deliberate push follows and returns the hands to the starting position. This is done 3 times in horse stance. At the end of the third push all the stored energies would be released through a double-handed finger jab. The exercise is performed slowly and powerfully.
This upper limbs formation tightens the muscle spindle, which houses the intrafusal fibers that register the amount of stretch within a muscle. The nerve cells that are wrapped around the intrafusal fibers send a signal to the central nervous system (CNS.) The signal although strong would not trigger the stretch reflex that generates a contraction, which would stop the stretching as to prevent injury. Mental focus prevents premature release of power. This promotes the sensitive of the muscle spindle and simulates the communication between the CNS, and the intrafusal fiber along with its adhering nerve cells. The stronger the communication, the better the neural hypertrophy, which usual happens within 3 to 4 weeks into the training. The intrafusal fibers store energy which purpose is to contract the muscle spindle to a safer length to prevent injury. The size and strength of the intrafusal fibers determine the amount of energy that they can store.
Isotonic, which is anaerobic based, is introduced once the claw is ready. The deliberate pushing motion recruits the Type 2B muscle fibers; also known as fast twitch fibers B, which is the thickest in size of the extrafusal fibers. The muscles fibers, which are different from the intrafusal fibers, are essentially being starve of oxygen and are caused to break down. The chemical process, which is affectionately know as the burn among the strength training circles, is described as Qi manifestation in Chinese martial arts term. As the muscles fibers heal they becomes thicker in diameter, which allows them to store more energy. Muscular hypertrophy, gain in muscle mass, happens about 3 to 4 months time into the training. The fast twitch muscle B can contract very quickly. They provide the power to handle heavy workload.
The stretch and the push must be done at the same time. At the apex of the stretch-push, enormous amount of energy is stored. When the CNS finally receives the signal to return the intrafusal and extrafusal muscle fibers to the rest state. A fast and powerful contraction would release all the stored energy though the straightening of the arms with the finger jabs. Both the speed and power augmentation is achieved because dynamic tension addresses both the neural and muscular hypertrophy. Think of it as having both a race car engine and a dissel truck engine at the same time.
The twofold path of dynamic tension satisfies the ancient Chinese philosophical point of view. Furthermore, it is well within the scientific scope of modern training theories as well. Go slow before going fast is not mere motto to enchant martial artists. It is a valid training philosophy, which contains the wisdom of the master of yesteryears.

neptunesfall
11-11-2001, 02:15 AM
today is day 141 of my snake turns over program.
:D

Wongsifu
11-11-2001, 02:15 PM
how about i reconstruct the article in 4 seconds.

The single finger points to heaven in hung gar is used to infuse the arms with lots of energy and to create the flow of energy forwards, the tension is used to lock the enrgy into the arms hence giving you iron forearm at th esame time.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Syre
11-11-2001, 02:31 PM
This article is pseudo medical bull****.

Anaerobic respiration simply means that oxygen is not used, because not enough oxygen is getting to the cells to provide for aerobic respiration.

That burn you feel is lactic acid, the product of anaerobic respiration, being produced. The muscle cells ARE NOT BREAKING DOWN.

To find out all about aerobic and anaerobic respiration, go here (http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~terry/Common/respiration.html).

dre_doggX
11-11-2001, 08:10 PM
what speeds or speed is this excerise done at

Andre Lashley

mantis108
11-11-2001, 08:46 PM
The whole point about the article is my take on the Dynamic Tension type of training. It is my exploration into the subject. I admit I am no scientist and no expert. But least I will try not to overlook the possiblity of ancient training methodology(ies) unlike a lot of the so called scientific minded "martial artists". There is always a put down on the old ways of training and not enough attention paying to them (not from a "scientific manner" anyway). I do not claim I know it all and I am merely suggesting a thought on the theory that is all. It would be great if someone would take it to a different level. CyberKwoon, which I believe supports martial artist free speech on subjuct really relating to MA training, has graciously posted this article. In order for CMA to going ahead I think we really need to work with the old methods more and look at them from different angles. If I am wrong in my headings, at least I can isolate and discard one item from the research. Laugh at me if it pleases you. But if there is a change to demysticfy the arts and help me learn, I am more than happy to be the fool then the self proclaim sages.

Neptunefall

Thanks for bringing this up .

Wongsifu,

That's the line of thought I was following since my friend in Hung Gar have shown me the technique. I was also impressed by the fact that this type of trianing technique doesn't slow them down or robotized them. In fact, they have quick and powerful arms. That's why I wonder the truth behind the Dynamic Tension techs. Thanks for sharing your view.

Syre,

Thanks for the comment and appreciate the link.

Sincerely,

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

dre_doggX
11-11-2001, 09:44 PM
What ARE THE SPEEDS of this excerise do you looseing the arms as you push to release power

are do you stretch throught the whole thing do whe do you relax when do you tense.

please answer I wasnt doubting just wanted to know
thankx

Andre Lashley

mantis108
11-11-2001, 10:38 PM
Sorry about the delay in answering you. I wasn't ignoring you. I was typing mine when your post was up. I am just a slow typer. Anyway, thanks for the interest in the exercise. Here's the clarification to it.

The speed is slow and with slow breaths. You'd be basically like pushing against an immovable object. So it's sort of like isotonics rather then isometrics. Yet the hand formation should maintain as describe. The stretch, which I believe is the most important feature, remains the whole time until the release (with the finger jab). The finger jab is of course snapy. So it's sort of a relaxed-tense. That's bring or rather releasing the enegry build up into/through the fingers. Like Wongsifu has pointed out this exercise and other similar to this give the benefit of power and iron forearm.

Regards

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa