PDA

View Full Version : My new program

SevenStar
12-27-2001, 03:16 PM
three hours per day:

30 min- weightlifting of aerobics
30 min- calisthenics (hindu squats, pushups, etc)
1 hour- forms and drills
30 min- stancework
15 min arm conditioning
15 min qigong

The three hours may or may not be consecutive, depending on whether or not I can get to the gym during lunch (on busy days I can't leave my desk and walk over there)

Days I can get to the gym, the first hour will be done between 1 and 2. The following 2 hours will be done in the evening, between 6 and 8 on tues and thurs.

Mon wed and fri will differ a little as those are class days. their will be an extra hour and a half on those days, as I'm not counting class time in this routine.

IronFist
12-27-2001, 04:33 PM
(read in best Arnold voice): "That program would make you a giiirly-man. My mother could do that program."

Haha I'm just kidding, dude :)

I just have two questions:

1. I noticed you do your strength training before your forms and drills conditioning. Is there a reason for this? I've always wondered which is a better order for these two things.

On the one hand, if you do strength conditioning first, you'll have 100% of your energy for that, which has obviously benefits, such as maximizing your strength. But, then you'll be more tired for forms and drills and such, and your form may suffer.

On the other hand, if you do forms first, you'll be at 100% for that, which will ensure perfect or near-perfect form, posture, attentiveness, etc. However, then you will be a bit worn out from drilling when it comes times to lift weights, which could affect your strength in any number of ways... such as certain muscles fatiguing quicker than other muscles they work with (ie. your front deltoids may get so tired from punching that you can't bench for crap, despite having relatively fresh pecs and tris).

2. 15 minutes of arm conditioning. What kind? I'm just curious :)

Crap my brain hurts from thinking too much.

How long do you plan to stay on this program? And I assume you mean "weightlifting or aerobics" :)

Iron

Silumkid
12-27-2001, 04:38 PM
Assuming that SevenStar will be doing the forms/drilling as additional cardio work, doing the weightlifting first is rather sound. As I'm sure you know, doing cardio before weights (except as a warm-up, i.e. 5-10 minutes) raises the pH level of one's blood which is hardly a great state for anabolic activity.

Besides, at only 30 minutes a bout (split routine?) I don't think it'll be that big a deal anyhow.

SevenStar
12-27-2001, 07:52 PM
Actually, I did mean weightlifting of aerobics. It's a theory of mine. Weight lifting of aerobics is the strength training side of aerobics. Everything from the traditional leg raises and thing to more modern aerobic style strength training, like BodyPump!® It I get the results that I am expecting, I will market my new concept in training and become rich!

Nah, it was really just a typo :)

As for the order I am doing things, remember that IDEALLY I'll be able to get in the gym at work on my lunch break, which is usually around 1. the last two hours of training will be after I get home. At work, I have access to a squat rack, one of those punching bags that looks like a human torso, loads of free weights, and everything else I can imagine. At home I have sh!tload of weights - about 400 lbs worth - but not all of those other nifty things.

the arm conditiong is mainly just a solo type of arm boxing. I do arm boxing with a partner at every opportunity, but not everyone in my class is as into conditioning as I am. Speaking of which, can you post that stone warrior program again?

"Crap my brain hurts from thinking too much. "
Sucks having a brain, doesn't it? I'm proud of my mindlessness. :)

Silumkid
12-27-2001, 10:59 PM
I've done BodyPump! It was cool for a change of pace, but I really prefer to lift heavier. Besides, I have noticed that when I do weights and then cardio right after, my heart rate hits my target pretty quickly and stays there consistently as opposed to just doing aerobics. They have actually documented heart capacity between aerobics bunnies and weightlifters in one of Dr. Hatfield's books. Wish I could remember the title....

Anyways, let us know how it goes for you. Maybe we'll talk about you someday like Margaret Cho did in her film "I'm The One That I Want": The studio sent over a trainer, which was cool, except he wouldn't shut up about his stupid infomercial idea...Tae Bo. Who fu ckin' knew?

I thought it was funny.

fiercest tiger
12-28-2001, 04:23 AM
when you get used to that programm try switching it around to shock the body. at least you train hard!!:D

ElPietro
12-28-2001, 06:37 AM
If you do cardio and weight training in the same day make sure you weight train first. If you do your cardio first you will deplete your glycogen stores and will have no energy to lift with, which means you will have very much diminished lifts and results. If you weight train first you will use your glycogen towards your lifts and once you get to cardio you will be using fat primarily as a fuel source provided you aren't at too high a heart rate for too long a time.

Splitting up your cardio and weight training is a good idea which I see you are doing...even better would be to have them on separate days. But you are probably set on your program so I'd advise that you consume a good portion of carbs and protein before your night time forms/cardio, so that your body will have more energy and fuel to do your forms. Without doing this you will be using up more energy and prevent your body from being able to recover itself from weight training...which will result in pretty much no muscle gain, and in fact most likely some muscle loss.

Water Dragon
12-28-2001, 11:47 AM
What about the rope pulley and rock pole?

SevenStar
12-28-2001, 05:21 PM
Actually, I do do them on separate days. I wasn't considering forms as cardio, even though they actually can be. I want to get in some forms training everyday so that I can continue to improve with them. By aerobics, I was meaning the more contemporary type - treadmill, bagwork, shadowboxing, etc.

WD, Rock pole is included man. It's part of the stancework. I haven't set up the pulley yet though. I'm a slacker.

Paul
12-28-2001, 06:00 PM
So now I have to ask, just what exactly are the rope pulley and rock pole?

SevenStar
12-29-2001, 09:02 AM
You did hit the nail on the head though, EP. Women love the big mass of muscle that I am. ;) I don't wanna lose any of the muscle, only the fat that I have. But at threee hours per session- f.uck... I'm gonna have to have a pretty nice sized protein intake. I like to eat though, so that should be no problem.

Paul, Rock Pole and Rope Pulley are ancient chinese training methods. They will teach you how to properly perform a chi blast.

Nah, they are shuai chiao training methods. They build strength and also help teach proper technique for throws.

Paul
12-29-2001, 12:31 PM
chi blasts are cool. :)

kungfuyou
01-02-2002, 10:57 AM
I'm with Paul! What is the rock pole and rope pully training? How do you do it? Sounds interesting. I've made it my goal to train harder with weights and practice more MA. So just wondering if this would help in my efforts.

Thanks for the help in advance.

:)

SevenStar
01-02-2002, 03:45 PM
they are shuai chiao training methods. They build strength and help perfect your throws.

Water Dragon
01-05-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if the rock pole or the rope pulley would help you. Single sided rock pole (which is what we are talking about) consists of a barbell with a weight on one end. You "sweep" the weighted end with your foot in various directions. It builds some strength, but is designed more for balance. There are also variations that build the skill of "shanking" or leg locking.

Rope pulley is basically a home made lat pull down machine with a 20 -30 foot rope on the end which you grab on to. All you do is simulate your throws while holding onto the rope. It's nothing more than doing forms with resistance. This one will build more muscle, but not much. What's nice about it, is that the rope will "snap" you back if your structure is off. It helps perfect your body mechanics more than anything.

If you do a lot of throwing, you may want to explore this. If you're a striker, heavy bags will serve you better. In fact, the muscle growth you get from the above exercises is similar to what you get from hitting the heavy bag.