PDA

View Full Version : JKD strikes

CanadianBadAss
12-27-2001, 08:48 PM
I practice WC, and at the school i go to every thing we do is straight onto the center line, punches, bong sau tan ext... I understand the reasoning behind it, and in most cases its to our advantage to go straight, but in some situations it would be easyier to attack on an angle with a hook or some other strike, instead of being restriced to straight punchs. I was reading somewhere about a bunch of diffrent strikes bruce incorporated into JKD, are there any websites where i can see some of these strikes demenstrated?

Johnny Hot Shot
12-28-2001, 03:20 AM
Bruce Lee Trained with Ed Parker for a time as well as many other strikers.
Bruce Lee wrote about his striking methods in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do.
He also talks about Judo and ju-jitsu.

LEGEND
12-28-2001, 07:22 AM
There should be various JKD websites that show some of the hook punches that BRUCE adopted from Western Boxing! Bruce like the footwork of western boxers and the punches cause it offer more options to bypass a defender's defense! Bruce also told one of his students JESSIE GLOVER I believe that he was very disappointed in his fight with WONG MAN JACK...when he did the chain punching...WONG MAN would cover up in a crouching mode and run away...Bruce was like if I knew how to throw uppercuts I would have finished the fight!

S.Teebas
12-28-2001, 09:51 AM
CanadianBadAss....

There are hooks and upercuts in wing chun. Look in the second form. (it's very obvious where they are). Dont think that WC only uses punches..there are many more options.

S.Teebas

curtis
12-28-2001, 10:06 PM
HI guys

First off, the differences in striking between wing chun and almost any other art referring to the hooking punch , you must honors the centerline (you hook from out of square into square, never going beyond the centerline.) otherwise it will be all two too easy to over commit ( YES torqueing is powerful! But it is also very dangerous to someone who must maintain control of their parameters.) Convergence is a far better solution for power . But there are many more options open to you, then that. (Ex. jun jeong, qua choie, chop choie, bil jee... To name a few.)
Johnny your statements about Ed Parker are slightly off.

Bruce Lee showed off to Ed Parker to get his confidence and backing.
Ed was so impressed by Bruce Lee, he asked to learn more about what he did. They compared concepts and techniques. Bruce gave, and Ed learned.
"Trained" refers to give and take situation. AND It that was not the case. I like to think of it as a show and tell, OR played time.

And Bruce Lee never wrote the Tao of Jeet Kune Do!!! (It was his "notes" that were used to write to the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. There is a big difference!)
Bruce Lee also consolidated notes about boxing techniques. (An example Jack Dempsey's drop step, and Mohamed Ali's footwork, as well as his phantom punch.) (concussion striking)
I also remember hearing about Bruce's notes referring to the old West/Texas Rangers methods of striking. (A RangeRidder's strike) A ripping, tearing, smashing ,downward strike. To break a man jaw.
So as you can see, Bruce Lee had many methods of striking available to him. (And I didn't even mention the floating punch. But that's another story.)
If you're interested in learning more look up, Jun Fan Gung Fu, (Howard Williams) Wing Chun Do (James DeMile), or nonclassical Gung Fu (Jesse Glover), to name a few other Bruce Lee influence martial art's. There is much more of their, than just Jeet Kune Do. To show people what Bruce really did.
I hope this helps? I am looking forward a hearing your replies.
Sincerely C.A.G.

CanadianBadAss
12-29-2001, 09:43 AM
thanks for the replies, I got Tao of JKD for christmas, and the bruce lee movie collection, and when i did some sparring with my friends yesterday i strated bouncing around. All this bruce lee suff is starting to effect my thinking... I gues i can find what I'm looking for inside WC.

Majic Sam
12-29-2001, 01:20 PM
Dan Inosanto likes Filipino footwork and zoning on a triangular pattern which appears to actyally give centerline.Theory being when used with WC's occupation of forward pressure,zoning gets into rhythmic options against large,agressive opponents.

To safely defang the snake,destructing the incoming limb must be done just outside of their strike range in order to continue into trapping range(pak,lop,jao,jut,punch,eyejab,tie-up,headbutt,knee,elbow,clinch etc).Zoning to zero pressure off the tiangle.

Supposedly when sparring hard,Lee's footwork was calm and not bouncey,unlike his theatrical JKD.

"Gung Fu is Gung Fu.It's not child's play"-Bruce Lee

Sensei Kunz
01-25-2002, 11:28 PM
Break from the traditional and free yourself. Use what is useful and discard what is useless. Good luck on your journey.

Roy D. Anthony
02-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Why Break from the traditional when the traditional already teaches how to break the rules......:)

Majic Sam
02-10-2002, 02:28 AM
What you talkin' bout' Willis?(smiling happy face...)