PDA

View Full Version : strength without training

SevenStar
11-11-2001, 06:03 AM
...for a price. This is in this months article of Men's Health:

"Berkley researchers are developing a hydaulically powered robotic exoskeleton that will dramatically enhance human strength."

The suit attaches to a person's jointsand muscles, making them 500 times stronger. The devices are already in use and final versions are expected in 3 years, at a price of $20,000 per suit.

I may get to become super saiya-jin after all.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Martial Joe
11-11-2001, 06:05 AM
at 20,000 that thing better make people look like a SSJ...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Sharky
11-11-2001, 06:06 AM
i'll have 6 please.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-11-2001, 06:07 AM
If we all get suits we could be like super friends! :D

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Chang Style Novice
11-11-2001, 06:11 AM
I don't know what a super saiya-jin is.

Xebsball
11-11-2001, 07:57 AM
A sayiajin is a person born in planet Vegeta. They are very strong, have monkey tails, are great fighters...

and their hair never changes.

-------------------------
"I AM EFFECTIVNESS"

KungFuGuy!
11-11-2001, 08:00 AM
Wow, I would seriously buy that. 20k isn't that bad, especialy since something like that could pay for itself.
However, I'm pretty sure it's BS.

SevenStar
11-11-2001, 08:59 AM
KFG,

this sparked my interest, so I started doing some research. It's not BS. Here's some of the articles I found:

http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrust/md/Exoskeletons/sep_23_99.html
http://www.sciencenews.org/20010630/bob8.asp

" - nightair

soy
11-11-2001, 10:17 AM
whatever.. strength is one thing, but who cares how strong you are if you're still a fat slob.

KungFuGuy!
11-11-2001, 10:50 AM
It's sparked my interest too, but a thing like that is a bit too good to be true, don't you think? I mean, 500 times stronger? Are you sure it isn't a giant mech type thing? I'll read those articles.

Oh and soy, even a fat slob with this toy is a threat, since one punch will literaly decapitate you.

Ryu
11-11-2001, 11:18 AM
Are you serious???
Seriously, what happens if criminals get a hold of stuff like that...

**** man what an age to live in.
Fantasy is around the corner.

**** straight, I'll be a superhero :D

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

KungFuGuy!
11-11-2001, 11:49 AM
Super strength criminals would be dealt with like regular criminals, a single bullet ^^

Wongsifu
11-11-2001, 02:29 PM
doesnt 500 times mean liek if you could bench press 100 pounds you would be able to bench 50,000 pounds erm isnt that plain stupid to believe in theory you would be 500 times stronger in practise your bones would break to smithereens your muscles would rip. unless its a total body exoskeleton that is attached to all of you. in which case i dont really like the thought of being 50% man 50 % machine .

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

SevenStar
11-11-2001, 04:54 PM
From what I understand wong, it is a full body suit. It's an exoskeleton, and it responds to your movements. Once its been perfected, there really is no learning curve as far as walking, running, etc., as you already know how to do that, and the suit is responding to your muscle motion. I think it's an interesting idea. And it's removable...you wouldn't be 50% machine permanently. Rmember in Alien(the second one, I think) those robotic suits they had? think of those, or of mechs, only they are suits that are designed to respond to your natural movement, not those of buttons and such. with that kind of equipment reinforcing your bones, as with creatures such as ants, who due to their exoskeleton can lift far more than their own weight - 50 times more I believe - then this doesn't seem too far fetched.

Ryu, I thought about that also. that could be hellacious in the wrong hands.

As far as the fat slob remark, it really wouldn't matter during the time that you are in that suit. Of course, I'd rather be out training - to quote Jamin in "Fatal Fury: the motion picture" - "Isn't true strength found in honing one's own natural abilities?" but at the same time, imagine the potential of soldiers, law enforcement, etc. who donned these. If SEALs had access to this.... 'nuff said. :

" - nightai

shaolinboxer
11-11-2001, 05:30 PM
http://www.pnl.gov/eshs/cap/emp/pub/FirstRes.pdf

They are mentioned here, from an ironic document from 1998 on potential threats and how to deal with them.

Kristoffer
11-12-2001, 12:11 AM
what? So u put on a suit that makes u alot stronger? IRON MAN!! :D
hehe
seriously, this thing will probebly weight alot right?

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Daniel Madar
11-12-2001, 12:43 AM
What would be the power supply? That could seriously limit the effectiveness of this sort of suit.

Merciless is Mercy.

qeySuS
11-12-2001, 12:52 AM
Well look at retarded people or whatever they are called, they aer FREAKISHLY strong, that's because they'r muscles dont hold back. Your muscles have the capability to rip themselves apart if i'm not mistaken but they hold back in normal people, i think i read this in Pavel T's PTP book. That's why people like mentally ill people or whatever are sometimes WAY to strong then their body build suggests, perhaps this is a way to activate your muscles beyond the "Norm" and yet not too much for it to be dangerous.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Nexus
11-12-2001, 01:00 AM
It would put a lot of construction workers out of business as a group of 5 men could pick up a small building and carry it accross the street.

:P

Or not.