PDA

View Full Version : Odd question

tri2bmt
12-28-2001, 12:23 PM
Someone I know told me that running outside when the temperature is below 10 degrees celsius can damage your lungs. Is this true or some plain old hogwash?

Paul
12-28-2001, 01:24 PM
that is total hogwash. Not true. False.

DelicateSound
12-29-2001, 01:44 PM
If that was true I could never leave the house :D

Paul
12-29-2001, 10:51 PM
The blood supply to the lungs is so well developed that it is virtually impossible to draw in enough cold air to cause any freezing damage to the lungs. Physiologists at the former Arctic Health Research Center and the Army Medical Research Laboratory determined that the irritation of the cold air on the bronchial passages limits the body's ability to overexert in very cold weather, making it impossible to damage one's lungs by freezing.

premier
12-30-2001, 07:59 AM
Yeah. The idea freezing your lungs sounds ridiculous. How the hell you think those crosscountry skiiers manage to ski 50km in -20 degrees CELSIUS without freezing their lungs?

Kristoffer
12-30-2001, 10:33 AM
one word,, Vasaloppet ;)

guohuen
12-30-2001, 03:58 PM
Or balaclava.

ijedi
12-31-2001, 07:18 PM
One of the things you are all forgetting is that not all people are the same. Even the Army (or in my experience sniper training in the Marine Corps) knows about acclimatization.

Each individual needs to acclimate to the environment before truly training for a sport activity. If it is general health you are talking about then that is something much different. If it is health you are concerned with then find a gym or buy a treadmill.

Thanks.

uncle
01-09-2002, 01:58 AM
:cool: I'd be careful taking the advice of warm weather posters on cold weather topics.I know people who have been hospitalized for frozen lungs course it was considerably cooler than 20-F (60-F) and it came from working under a helicopter,90 mph rotor wash and bigtime blowing ice crystals. Guohuen thats correct about the back pains alot of respiratory problems start that way, and a balaklava is a must below about 25-F .

uncle
01-09-2002, 02:09 AM
;) Ohhhhhh, now I get it . I just related to the celcius designation. Bro thats not even freezing, I'd say your pretty safe.I live in Alaska ,and work on the North Slope anything warmer than 30-F is wimp weather. It's all what your used to. Peace Bob

scotty1
01-09-2002, 09:57 AM
LOL @ Delicatte Sound. That is so true.:)

i normally run and its about 4 degrees celcius. But then saying that I have a sore throat and cold that won't go away. Not that I ran with a sore throat and a cold. But I did run in the cold.

:confused: