PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's of going from Kung Fu to Jeet Kune Do???

Kairo
12-28-2001, 12:26 PM
Ive recently (3 months ago) decided to stop doing Northern Shaolin and do TKD instead, which i have previously practiced. However, I can't help but feel a big gap in my training when I watch something like UFC or any MA tournament. So, I've decided to jump ship and go to either a JKD school, or a BJJ school.
Pro's and Con's please people!

fa_jing
12-28-2001, 12:35 PM
JKD - go for it. My teacher's been a student of Ted Wong for 8 years, great stuff. But his foundation is in traditional Kung fu. I think it is important not to forget your traditional training when you practise JKD. Some teachers teach JKD as just concepts, basically it varies alot. If they are teaching JKD as a style, once again it's good, but you might be missing out on a deeper understanding. Basically, you are going to get a lot of responses to this question that espouse one branch of JKD or another, also depending on where you live. Try posting the question in the JKD forum. Once again, don't forget what you learned in Kung fu and TKD, you should be able to take this with you or at least practise on your own.
-FJ

Shaolindynasty
12-28-2001, 12:37 PM
First I can't help but wonder why you quit Northern Shaolin. Now back on topic I would swith to the JKD school. If you find the right one it will contain the groundfighting that BJJ has plus some unorthadox "real" fight stuff. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for but if you are considering JKD or BJJ then it must be combat related. I'd go with JKD, since it's one limitation is that it has no limits(did I get that right?) then you would be free to try alot of things and incorperate it into your training. Just be wary of McJKD gyms(yes they exsist) you know the guy who hoped styles taking each only a month for 2 years then opened a school braging that he knows 24 styles:rolleyes:

Kairo
12-28-2001, 12:43 PM
My basic reasoning for quitting Shaolin was the fact that I saw little if any martial aplication to it, and it seemed (in my individual circumstance) to not compliment my abnormally high flexibility and combat awareness.
(wow that answer won't be popular!)

EARTH DRAGON
12-28-2001, 12:43 PM
I am with shaolin on this one Why quit NSL to study anything else? is it the school or the teacher that you are not happy with? I cannot imagine that it is the style unless of coarse you havent put enough time in it to reap the benifeits. please explain

Shaolindynasty
12-28-2001, 12:46 PM
Hey no problem it's your opinon and your entitiled to it. There could be several reason why you didn't see he value but no need to go over that since you decided the school wasn't for you. What's important is you as an individual, man maybe I should switch to JKD somtimes I sound like Bruce myself!

EARTH DRAGON
12-28-2001, 12:50 PM
your post must have just beat mine, but anyways you said you saw no martial application in it? I can tell you have not put a suffiecent amount of time to judge anything yet. if you think that you can learn to fight using kung fu in a few months you are mistaken, you must spend ample amount of time to learn the style beofre you make such an opinon about something. You should stay where you are for it has roots and depths far greater than jkd which is simple and shallow in my opinon. but 5 or 10 years down the road you will have wished you stated where you were. if you plan on giving your art that much time if not it doesnt really matter what you take for it will not make a difference in such a short amount of time.

the old rule applies here, you pay for what you get, buy a better anything it will last longer buy it cheap it will break much sooner.

LEGEND
12-28-2001, 01:00 PM
If he's into for combat application why the hell is it going to take him 6 months or more before he can apply it???!!! That argument is so silly...if u're forces were going to go to war...u better be combat ready within a few weeks of training. I don't understand why someone who's looking to protect himself must take a MARTIAL ART that will not make u effective unless u train for 6 months or more...it defeats the "F" purpose. So if he trains in this system but is jumped tomorrow he's gonna get his ass kick cause he's can't apply his system. GREAT.

Kairo
12-28-2001, 01:19 PM
I think you have mis-read this post. I spent 2 and a half years studying northern shaolin, not a few months.
And Ive gotta agree with Legend. The fact is, Ive defended Kung Fu on this board many times against verbal attacks from BJJ and JKD, but the fact is that BJJ and JKD are much better fighters than Kung Fu ones, however kung fu offers different things.
Ive only recently found out why I study martial arts. I do study to keep health and encourage longitivity of life, but the fact is, I want to fight, i like fighting, and I want to go to tournaments and show people that I have worked F'n hard, and that I am a good fighter.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-28-2001, 01:44 PM
they are right.

kung fu sucks big beefy balls.

KC Elbows
12-28-2001, 01:59 PM
Okay. So go to JKD, which has heavy kung fu influence?

I recommend bjj, because the perception of bjj guys as fighters is high, and that seems to be the concern here. I'd just like to comment that I know a longfist guy who is a phenomenal fighter, weighs much less than me, but manages to keep me away from him with his **** kicks. Once I'm in, its scary for him, but we're pretty even that way.

Hsing yi has a great rep as fighters, lots of sanshou success stories from those guys. Closer to what you've already trained, plus most of the hsing yi guys I've met fight quite a bit.

Did your longfist class spar? Full contact? I'm not questioning your decision, I'm just wondering what led to the lack of results in training.

IMHO, there is not a fighting art in the world that does not turn out good fighters by any other course than fighting. Once fighting is incorporated, just about all of them can be made to work by the right fighter. Even some of the lame arts have a good fighter somewhere, even if its only working because of them.

mantis108
12-28-2001, 02:04 PM
With all due respects, if it really took you 2 1/2 years and you don't feel that you can handle yourself with what you have learnt so far, it might be a good idea to do a reality check. There are tons of reasons why you feel the way you feel. Both parties (teacher and student) are responsible for the outcome. While it is a good idea to re-exam your options on which discipline to follow, it is also prudent to understand your own learning pattern, goals, strength, etc... If you wish to find out what option (teaching methods) in Kung Fu, may be you would want to check in the Northern Mantis forum under the thread "teaching methods in PM". Unfortunately out of the enormous amount of kwoon, there are very few Sifus who know how to teach. Remember a good figther may not be a good teacher. The reality of teaching Kung Fu is that there is no standard certification, supervisory body, nor resources for upgardes for the Sifus (especially the younger generation ones). So hit or miss for many. Good luck in your search.

Mantis108

PS Can't ask for blind faith but real stuff is out there. So be patient and keep looking... Beware of the dark side of the force ;)

Tigerstyle
12-28-2001, 02:08 PM
Kairo,
I'm not here to help you choose (both sound good to me), but I am surprised to hear that Northern Shaolin didn't compliment your "abnormally high flexibility". :)

Bak Mei
12-28-2001, 02:23 PM
Here is my honest opinion.

Chances are, no matter where you are training, you will feel a certain sense of incompleteness when viewing UFC matches or anything non-sparring and more REAL.

Why? Because many schools have weak lineages, and are showing an incomplete system. TKD is weak -- period. Not complete. not even half a system; merely kicking and punching.

Many souther shools are OK for hand to hand, but their kicking is not practical if there at all, and ground fighting -- well, many lack it. Norther stysles too, good long range, but what about for real in close fighting, ground work?

The answer, is don't jump ship, to another incomplete ship. Spend time looking for what it is you want. You will recognize it when you see it. For every 50 crappy schools out there there is one keeping it real -- maybe less. But they are out there.

JKD definitely has weak points. It's foundation is Wing Chun, yet the founder only studied the system for a few years and then later dismissed WC as useless. It takes a little of everything without specializing in anything. It specializes in borrowing bits and pieces. Don't get me wrong, you find a good teacher, and work hard, or at least train and fight regulalrly, you will be OK.

I don't want to make it sound like the answer is Hsing-I or Ba Gua, because that's what I study. It's not the art, its the teacher. I spent a year looking for my teacher, every weekend in Chinatown.

I fought one of his students and saw a technology I wanted. At the time I was training S. Mantis and fighting three times a week. Fighting was real to me, on my mind. When I saw this new technology, I knew it was what I was looking for though it was the first time I had seen it.

I feel betterb to stick where you are and look around in the mean time. Wait to you find THAT place or sifu.

I am a firm believer (even though it sounds gay) -- that when the student is ready the Master will present himself.

Your mindset is in the right place -- you have seen the truth, that your training did not sufice. Now find a place that does.
Look closely, are the poeple training for real, or for ego.

Kairo
12-28-2001, 02:25 PM
sorry, i had to put abnormally high, as that is how other's describe it. yeh, the patterns encorporated a lot of the flexibility, but patterns? wtf? yes they may improve posture or/and strength of legs, but their are other, more benefitial ways of getting both (and quite frankly i dont see the point in perfecting posture for any aspects but the "looks pretty" aspect, not the martially effective aspect.
Also, I never said I couldnt handle myself, but I think after around 5 years of MA training I shouldnt score 6 of the 7 points needed to win a match in a tournament, then get choked out by some guy, because "no one uses chokes in kung fu".
Yes kung fu incorporates flexibility, but i do not think it uses it.

rogue
12-28-2001, 02:59 PM
If you're looking for self defense just make sure that you can practice what they teach. If you can't practice it on a resisting partner you'll have a tough time doing it for real.

My opinion, if your striking skills are bad I'd say find a good JKD school (if that's your choice), if your skills are good I'd go with BJJ to round out your training.

reemul
12-28-2001, 03:02 PM
Sounds like your Shoalin school sucked, or you didn't get very far in it. The same can happen when you go to a JKD school or any other school.

To base your accomplishments in training on UFC or NHB isn't the smartest thing, unless you plan to compete. These events are sporting events with rules. I'm not negating the ability of these competitors fighting skills, But thinking for competition prepares you for competition. Thinking of a real fighting situation in the manner of protecting ones self is totally different. There is no ref. in the real world to prevent you from getting killed.

If you are planning on competing, I understand.

Tigerstyle
12-28-2001, 03:05 PM
There are chokes in kung fu ;) .

Good luck in your search, and don't listen to that clown, Bak Mei. He just wants you to learn Hsing-I or Ba Gua (j/k :p ).

LEGEND
12-28-2001, 06:40 PM
I have sparred a northern shaolin guy before...and they are good strikers...more into precise striking than say a thai boxer. So I think u're skool is not emphasising the COMBAT APPLICATION. So I think it's more or less the skool than the style.

EARTH DRAGON
12-28-2001, 10:08 PM
you have said many times before about wanting to fight and show people in tournments. ?????? what do tournaments have to do with fighting? real fighting has no rules or judges! I think that you are a little confused about what it is you really want. if you want to fight join a boxing gym, but remember when you think that kung fu is not for fighting watch UFC #6 and 7 my kung fu borther using 8 step praying mantis kung fu won both of his bouts against a BJJ and a muai tai kick boxer so it not the art it the person that fights!!!!!!!!!!!!

KungFuGuy!
12-28-2001, 11:48 PM
It's true, the person is a bigger factor in a fight than the style. You like to refer to UFC, so look at tank abbott. He's never had a day of martial arts training, but I'd wager than he could take anyone on this board. Style assists the person, however, so it is important too. Flexibility can be usefull in any martial art. Why did you join TKD? I know you wanted something where your flexibility will be more a factor, but come on! You quit northern shaolin because it wasn't practical enough, and join taekwondo? What were you thinking! :D

Kairo
12-29-2001, 01:38 AM
I mentioned UFC to say that I admired the fighters, and said that I would like to go down that more "realistic" style of fighting and competition.
As far as the difference between competition and reality, I believe that you would gain a lot from training for full contact or nhb style fighting that can be used in reality, than kung fu.
As for the kung fu guy in ufc 6, this may be my ignorance, but was the mantis guy also trained in JJ? and when he fought, it didnt look like any mantis style ive ever seen.

It may well be that it is the school and not the style, all i wanted to know was the different things within JKD, as I have little knowledge about it.

Oh, and kung fu guy, I dont appreciate the comment on TKD. I have tried hard in my posts to not offend anyone's style, so I would appreciate if you would do the same. I have beat many many people in tournaments and sparring using tkd, so if you want to disrespect it so I think you should come and show me how useless the style is.

Yung Apprentice
12-29-2001, 06:19 AM
D A M N!!! THEMS FIGHTIN" WERDS!!!!:D :D :D

Yung Apprentice
12-29-2001, 06:21 AM
In your opinion, do you like Hsing-I better than mantis?

KungFuGuy!
12-29-2001, 08:25 AM
Excuse me if I'm not frightened by your empty threat.
I took taekwondo for 9 years, so it's safe to say that I know more about it than you. TKD is based on scoring points, whether you're in traditional or olympic style. High kicks to the head may be good in the ring where your opponent can't grab your leg then kick you in the groin, but on the street it is useless. Granted, a tdk player will have an advantage over an untrained person, but so will taebo. I took tkd for nine years and TEMPLE KUNG FU for 6 months, and I found the stuff I learned at temple kung fu to be more usefull than the stuff I learned at tkd. And guess what, temple kung fu is one of the biggest mcdojos out there. And no, my tdk school was not a mcdojo, it is one of the better dojos out there for that particular style. Right now I'm looking for a decent school. I would kill to have a northen shaolin place near me, so quit complaining.

Archangel
12-29-2001, 10:53 AM
Some Info about Joel Sutton

Hometown: Grand Island/Buffalo, New York - USA
Styles: PRAYING MANTIS KUNG-FU, Freestyle Wrestling, Russian Sambo, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Karate
Height: 5’11"
Weight: 205 lbs.
Weight Range: 199-210 lbs.
Date of Birth: July 7, 1969

Win Jack McGlaughlin Submission (Strikes) UFC 6 - Clash of the Titans 7-14-1995

Win Geza Kalman TKO (Cut) UFC 7 - The Brawl in Buffalo 9-8-1995

Loss Minoru Suzuki Submission Pancrase - Alive 5 5-24-1997

Loss Brad Kohler N/A IFC 6 - Battle at Four Bears 9-20-1997

Loss Waldir dos Anjos TKO (Towel Thrown from Punches) WVC 6 -11-1-1998

Now, I saw those first 2 wins by Joel and it was his wrestling ability that won him those fights. The first fight was a simple ground and pound against a guy whos never won a MMA fight in his life. And the second came after reversing a suplex attempt and opening a cut. If there was any Mantis in there, well , maybe my untrained eyes didn't see it.

EARTH DRAGON
12-29-2001, 02:14 PM
arch angel if you mean that he didnt stand ther and use mantis hand catches the cicada your right! the UFC usually goes right to the ground but I can assure you that the techniques he used were form our ground fighting "lui tang lang (low mantis) which is used to fight from a fallen position. as for his bio it is a little embellished to add to the hype, just like a boxer fights 15-0 but actually the first 14 were bums but it sounds good to have a lot to bring to the table. like tank aboot said 250 bare nuckle fights and no losses?????? who judges and who referee's these matches? no one but it soundz cool........

KenWingJitsu
12-29-2001, 05:12 PM
"but the fact is that BJJ and JKD are much better fighters than Kung Fu ones, however kung fu offers different things. "

Kairo, oyu are correct. Go with your instincts on this one. Shaolin teaches you nothing about fighting, unless it's a 'fighting' school.

JKD is always about fighting. Pretty much always is.
JKD is the way to go. Your traditional training has given you some attributes that are useful in a fight, but it doesn't teach oyu to actually fight.

Listen to your gut. Whne you move to JKD, you'll spar more & be well-rounded. Chose a school wisely. make sure they spar & make sure they teach groundfighting.

Shaolindynasty
12-30-2001, 08:03 AM
I've actually been thinking of joining this JKD/Jujitsu school nearby. One of my former classmates/students goes there now and says he likes it. I've also been looking for the opportunity to add more ground techs to my list of skills. I am going to watch a class this Thursday.

Archangel
12-30-2001, 11:47 AM
How is his background embelished? All of his fights listed are documented and can be verified by the promotions. He's lost his last 3 so i don't think it's really bragging by listing them.

Anyways, i am interested in this low mantis you were talking about. Is there any website where I can view it's techniques. I didn't see much difference from a typical JJ fighter moving to mount; can you tell me how low mantis techs differ from BJJ or Judo ground positions. Also i was wondering why his fights automatically hit the ground. Was his gameplan to just use his low mantis or was he just taken out of his game and not given the oppertunity?

Sorry for all the questions, it's rare that you get to pick the mind of a UFC veteran.

EARTH DRAGON
12-30-2001, 02:45 PM
While their is no information on low mantis avaiable on any webiste you can read an artical by jane hollander that appeared in a 1989 inside kung fu editorial. I dont have the webiste address but STACY does she is on these boards some whaere maybe you can do a serch or something. As for explaining the differences I do not know that much about JJ or BJJ to give you an educated listing of differences or similarites. And for me I would have to know a lot about both before I would attempt to list comparisans, thats just the way I am. But again you can read about it on black belt or inside kung fu webiste , just do a search. I think the aritical was called deceptive footwork f the praying mantis and I forgot the other title but I am sure you can find them ... your freind E.D

Grappling-Insanity
12-31-2001, 01:46 AM
Why on earth should you have to wait 10 years to gain the benifits. That just doesnt make any sence. If I want to learn to fight I should be able to at least be able to hold my own in about three months.

KnightSabre
12-31-2001, 02:38 AM
I left Northern Longfist after doing it for close to 5 years.I switched to JKD/BJJ and to be honest I felt I was more combat effective after studying the latter for 1 year.

Kairo
12-31-2001, 04:47 AM
Kung fu guy,
uve lost me here, when did i say "tkd; better than shaolin?"
I merely asked you to respect an art that i had studied. for someone who is such a profound kung fu student, one would think you would be more calm and respectful.
7 years? it doesnt matter how many years, its what you do in them years.

Yung Apprentice
12-31-2001, 05:40 AM
What about Chin Na and low mantis? Likes, differences? In your opinion, how would someone who is experienced in Chin Na fair up against someone who was equally as skilled in low mantis?

KungFuGuy!
12-31-2001, 07:21 AM
I never said that tkd is bad, I questioned why you left kung fu for a more practical art, and then chose tkd. Taekwondo is fine for what it's for, which isn't defending yourself in a life or death situation.

Shaolindynasty
12-31-2001, 09:23 AM
"Taekwondo is fine for what it's for, which isn't defending yourself in a life or death situation."

Some would say the same about kungfu on these boards.

Paul
12-31-2001, 10:06 AM
there's nothing wrong with kung fu, just the way it is taught in some cases.

Sifu's who are trying to make money will concentrate on forms much more than fighting.

Sifu's who teach real fighting skills don't make as much money because the majority of people don't want to get hit. they just want to take a martial art and look pretty doing forms without getting all the bumps and bruises.

Shaolindynasty
12-31-2001, 10:15 AM
True but ou can say the same for TKD. Alot of schools focus on sport cause that brings the money, but some may focus on fighting and kick some CMA @$$.(Just never mine cause I am th best at what I do hahaha) I guess I am just getting tired of all the Kungfu guys being stuck up and thinking they hold the ultimate art. I practice kungfu but I still have great respect for Karate, TKD, MMA, BJJ, boxing and just about any other combat type sport or activity. Some of those internal guys get at me most. Anyway it's all relative, most people thinks their art is the best compared to the rest.

Ford Prefect
12-31-2001, 10:27 AM
Broken Mirror Ba Gua IS the ulimate art!

www.mindboxing.com

KungFuGuy!
12-31-2001, 10:41 AM
Shaolindynasty, you cannot say the same for kung fu. Kung fu was made for defending one's self in a life or death situation, more specificaly for fighting wars.
Again, I never said kung fu is better than tkd, I said it was MORE PRACTICAL. If you would like to argue that, then be my guest. Just stop arguing with me based on things I didn't say.

Paul
12-31-2001, 10:42 AM
it isn't more practical by default, just because it's kung fu. It's all in how you train.

LEGEND
12-31-2001, 10:59 AM
KUNG FU was made for fighting wars??? How did u come to this conclusion???

Paul
12-31-2001, 11:03 AM
c'mon dude everyone knows that kung fu was made for fighting wars. :)

EARTH DRAGON
12-31-2001, 11:33 AM
Paul kung fu was desingined to strenghthen the bodies and minds of monks while they were meditaing and praying for long periods of time.this was taught by Da mo when he brougth the spred of buddaism to china. It was never ever for fighting wars for it is against the buddahist religion to harm other forms of life so please educate yourself before you make such a ridiculous statement.

Young app. chin na fa is the art of joint manipulation. It is not really compared to ground fighting, however you can lock joints while on the ground it is more applied to working of an attrack on the feet were you would lock a joint to defend or throw your opponent.

Tigerstyle
12-31-2001, 11:34 AM
"...When we go all out at the prison yard breaking up fights, it's a joke in comparison. Don't let anyone tell you differently, especially that energy thing. It's real."

MindBoxing.com (http://www.mindboxing.com)

Sign me up, Ford! :)

Paul
12-31-2001, 11:51 AM
Earthdragon,
I didn't make the statement that kung fu was made for fighting wars. I reiterated what someone else said because I thought it was funny. Please educate yourself on what the smiley face means. thanks. maybe I should have put a "HaHa" at the end so the denser among us knew I wasn't serious.

Archangel
12-31-2001, 12:01 PM
I couldn't find that article you were talking about. Can you tell me about the low mantis without comparison to BJJ.

1) How does it deal with the bottom position on the ground

2) Does it stress position first or attack first

3) Does it have an arsenal of submissions

4) Is its aim to finish on the ground or regain the standing position

These are just a few basic questions. I cant find any info over the net; you traditionals are always so secretive ;)

EARTH DRAGON
12-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Watchman, while I may have been a little hasty in my post and of coarse all forms of kung fu were not for strengthening monks its roots do lie in non combative situations. As the introduction of boddidarma 525 A.d Before the uprooting of the ming dynasty and the overthrow of the government into communisism I can asssure you that kung fu was practiced for selfcultivation and slef awarness. It was not practiced for use in military type situations. And As I will agree with you that not all kung fu was practiced for that reson, the post did say that it was made for fighting wars. But at the time of DA Mo that was not he case at all. So while I do agree the time frame in which kung fu was introduced it was definatlly not for combatitive reasons...

Paul, I apologize to you for thinking that you said that about kung fu but smilieys faces mean nothing to me in a post so I just go on what I read, dense or not perception is that of the pen not the intention........

KungFuGuy!
12-31-2001, 02:26 PM
Why do so many members of this board have such a common mindset? In this thread alone, a few people have looked beyond the point of my posts to dwell on some minor thing they think that I meant (but never said), and take great offense to it. Sorry earth dragon, not all kung fu was made for war, but you can't argue that it was made with fighting in mind. It's not like the monks developed a form of excercise that coincidentally turned out to be the deadliest hand-to-hand techniques in history.
You know, even if I do mean to offend you people, why do you take it so bloody personal? I had no idea that martial artists were so sensitive :D

jun_erh
01-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Why don't you BJJ and JKD guys admit that you want to learn it because UFC is popular now. If Sanshou takes off then it'll be the same people talking about the "Combat ready" ness of that. BJJ is just wrestling and JKD is just, I don't know, kickboxing, neither of which are nearly as effective as boxing in a "real fight". Seriously though, I understand that people want to spar more rather than learn forms, which is why I've invented "Spar-Fu" Just buy some pads, go into my basement, and fight each other. No instruction. :D

EARTH DRAGON
01-01-2002, 02:29 PM
kung fu guy , that was my point! kung fu original origin was not made for wars, acutally for just the opposite peace and self enlightenment. but this goal could not be obtained without strengthening the mind and body so excersisies were desinged to do just that, not with intention of war, but as I did agree with watchman NOT all kung fu was this passive but my point was at its birth.......

arch angel I will breifly answer your questions without going into deatail, yes I am tradtionally old fashioned that was my kung fu upbringing, I learned from an chinese master who would never tell you anything beofre you were ready and then sometimes not even when you were.... LOL

1. we dont, we like to use leveradge to flip our opponents over and take the dominate postition. thing of a bug on his back , he will flip over when fighting.

2. always attack, we always will try to destory your center of balance and never let you regain it, then to move into postition is easier and we create the time to do so while our opponent is trying to regain his center.

3. we have 24 leg techniques, 14 hand techniques, and many locks from chinna fa, we also have shui chiao in our system which is awsome in the fact that many throws roll into automatic locks, so when you are falling with your opponent you follow the movement of the fall and you seize their limbs, when you stop you then just apply pressure, very effective and almost impossible to counter. as like many BJJ tech, they all have counters.

4. on the ground, once you have fallen it takes to much time and energy to stand up, so as soon as well fall our mission is to seize lock and break as soon as we can ending the confrontation again I will not disclose to much info for everyone to see for our motto is secrets and techniques and 8 step is reguarded extremly effective and highly respected for those reasons, but I hope that I answered all your questions thanks for your interest. your freind E.D

KungFuGuy!
01-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Jun, you were joking when you said boxing is more usefull in a real fight than JKD or BJJ, right?

DelicateSound
01-01-2002, 03:43 PM
The Making Of KFO - Chapter One, Scene One:

The KungFu Magazine Publishers are sat around the discussion table:

PUBLISHER ONE:I know, let's make an online forum, so that people can bicker and argue about the most stupid and mindless things.

PUBLISHER TWO: Yeah, what a great idea, everyone will fall out, hate each other, and act like kids - all in cyberspace!

PUBLISHER ONE: What a great idea, they'll be loads of trolls and kn0bheads to p!ss everyone off!

PUBLISHER THREE: It is decided - let's do it! We ****!ng RULE!

All three raise glasses in celebration. Misty, slow-motion shot ends the scene, with cheezy 1980's music as accopanyment.

Do you really think THIS was the intention?

Go figure. :D

jun_erh
01-01-2002, 05:07 PM
I've never seen anyone use anything but boxing in a brawl. You've seen people grappling, kicking, and blocking outside the ring?

Shaolindynasty
01-02-2002, 12:57 PM
I don't see what ANY of this has to do with the topic. So what are the pros and cons cause I am think of attending a JKD school near me to. So now I'd like to know.

shaolinboxer
01-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Well, the pros are you'll learn some new techniques, get a chance to spar a lot, and learn their theories on ranges and flow. Good knee work, trapping (if you are into that)....

The cons are you'll have to deal with the irony of JKD....really I think the downside is in having to deal with the way people interpret it's meaning and substance. They may try to invalidate your training with the old and everpresent "empty your cup" statement.

But hey, that might be a good thing too.

LEGEND
01-02-2002, 01:30 PM
JUNER...hell yes...u want to see real fights...on tape...www.streetbrawl.com! LOL...or watch some episodes of COPs...u see grappling, kicking and punching...**** dood where have u been!? Bouncers reg. grapple peeps in street brawls to the ground...so do COPs. The unskilled use the BASEBALL PUNCH MELE. While u have some peeps throwing out kicks...if u want free links go here http://www.netbroadcaster.com/sportnews.html.
Watch for kicks and grappling!

Shaolindynasty
01-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Yeah one of my classmates take JKD at that school and he says his teacher told him that the cross the body blocks we do are to easy to counter so never cross your hand over your body. I don't know what my classmate showed him but our "blocks" are parrys. I beleive it is a concepts school, so shouldn't it be more like learning the principles and applying it to what I already do? I like the concepts of JKD, so I hope this is a good school. The key for a JKD stylist is to be both, not bound by traditionalism and not bound by eclectisism(is that a new word?).

LEGEND
01-02-2002, 01:36 PM
Dood don't even worry about a JKD MISSION STATEMENT...the idea of JKD CONCEPT skools are to make u well rounded but eventually u'll specialize in standup fighting or ground fighting.

Shaolindynasty
01-02-2002, 01:39 PM
So would they usually apply JKD principles and stratagys to what I know, or will they just teach me their mix of techniques like any other MA "style" would do?

Archangel
01-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks Earth Dragon,

Im going to look more into this

LEGEND
01-02-2002, 03:38 PM
You see it's a split level...do u have a website address...I'm not sure how this skool will teach. Put JKD CONCEPT skools have a progression level...standup fighting first...grappling second...weapons third etc...
But it also depends...so u have to tell them your goal...and as an instructor he should watch u and help create your game plan as a street fighter. IF IT'S JKD CONCEPTs.