PDA

View Full Version : What to train

hughes
12-28-2001, 03:22 PM
Hello all im new to the forum and face quite a dilema.

I very recently took up taekwondo and just passed my first grading 2 weeks ago, this was my first martial art in TWO years (due to medical reasons causing me to stop). Now i really like the opinions and knowledge on this forum but have also noticed a great deal of hostility towards TKD, why is this? Should i stop practicing it and take up another art?

Also I have looked into Wing Chun and to my surprise there are classes twice a week relatively near to me (actually same distance as it would be to go to TKD)

So to put it blunt im at a crossroads and would appreciate any and all opinions, should i go the Wing Chun way, or Taekwondo way?

NB i want to start a martial art and stick with it, no more changing once the choice is made.(unless extreme circumstances):rolleyes:

Water Dragon
12-28-2001, 03:30 PM
Don't worry about the art. Find the best instructor you have access too. Learn whatever they teach. The good stuff is **** similar no matter what it's called.

apoweyn
12-28-2001, 03:36 PM
first, this is a difficult question to answer without knowing the specifics. the wing chun instructor could be a clown. the taekwondo instructor could be brilliant. can't tell from my desk.

second, i wouldn't put that sort of limitation on yourself. you're free to change styles, schools, teachers, etc. whenever you see fit. the trick is to cultivate the wisdom to do so for the right reasons. (i.e., not because you're frustrated or bored, but because you genuinely believe it to be the right decision.)

if you're happy with your current teacher, then stay.

taekwondo takes a lot of flak for various reasons. personally, i like the style (practiced in an intelligent manner). but i would want to train in an environment where experimentation and an open mind were encouraged.

when you read criticisms here, think about what it is you're looking for, what agenda the critic has, whether his criticisms logically make sense, and so on. make your choice based on that.

in the end, though, i don't believe that there's a wrong choice here. either style is good under the right circumstances. make a choice and then go with it. if ever you feel that it was a mistake, make another choice. and so on.

don't dabble. but make thoughtful decisions. and don't be afraid to reevaluate those decisions.

stuart b.

Skarbromantis
12-28-2001, 03:45 PM
Who care's what the people on this forum think,
the only opinion that matters is yours check out the WC school and see if it gives you what you want, but dont quit your system because people on a message board dont like TKD ....also this is a Kung -Fu forum, im sure that if you did a search
on yahoo or what ever engine, you could find a forum about TKD that would respect the art....

Skard1

yuxiang
12-28-2001, 03:50 PM
What style did you quit when you had the medical problem? If its the TKD, then why not return to it? I'm returning to HapKiDo after an abscence, and I'm having a blast.
Try the Wing Chun class, see what that offers you.
Then, compare the two, and find what matters to you between the two.

diego
12-28-2001, 03:55 PM
i thought it was all sport now,modified from ancient korean arts such as hwarangdo???.

SevenStar
12-28-2001, 03:55 PM
Don't worry what anyone on this board thinks, as far as what are you should train in. That is a decision you need to make for yourself. Evaluate everything in your area. Take classes, talk to the teachers, and more importantly, talk to the students. Based on your research train at the school you think is best and that best suits your needs.

and as for the TKD disses, I know of a few TKDers that I'm sure could take out more than half the people on this forum.

diego
12-28-2001, 03:57 PM
but do they have the skills to take out my hopgar,i mean i am pretty kick-ass

hughes
12-28-2001, 03:57 PM
I stopped Shotokan 2 years ago to get an operation, and whats worse,2 months after it, my Sensei passed and the school stopped. THe recovery time from op was two very long frickin years. I think i may do that Wing Chun class then compare the two. Thanks for all the replies. (All opinions still welcome)

SevenStar
12-28-2001, 03:59 PM
Diego,

You can find the combat stuff. You may just have to look hard.

SevenStar
12-28-2001, 04:00 PM
I bet that tornado kick of yours isn't kick ass

diego
12-28-2001, 04:01 PM
i mean come on.jk

you would have to look hard tho,it is definatly something i wish i got into as a yout,rudeboy with the triple jump kicks,how do they and can you do them ****s

SevenStar
12-28-2001, 04:03 PM
Okay, that may pose a problem... If the operation was on the knees, hips, etc. I'd probably stay away from TKD.

diego
12-28-2001, 04:05 PM
do lots of sillimtao,so you dont pop your knees doing all these crazy tkd kicks.Just build your root,and punching power,until its positive your healthy and wont cause structural damage;thats what i would do if the wc shool is cool.

hughes
12-28-2001, 04:11 PM
Nah its nothing like that, the operation was a spinal fusion (major OP i know) but thing is, now ive recovered and got my life straight im actually stronger than I ever was (btw I'm a young 'un, 17). The only martial art that would cause i problem i think would be the likes of Judo (since problem was related to my back). But then again, it has been fused, and has 2 metal rods supporting it, so its now pretty strong.

Oh, and my TKD school is a good one I'll admit, lots of emphasis on sparring and padwork. Also, its ITF so its not affiliated in any way with the Olympic sort style.

Whats more, I live in Scotland and you know who's TKD ground that is? It's Grandmaster Rhee's. He'll be grading me in my next grading. (for those that don't know, Grandmaster Rhee is first TKD Grandmaster and founder of TKD General Choi Hong Hi said that he is the best student of TKD ever).

hughes
12-31-2001, 11:53 AM
Hi all, I've decided to stick with TKD for the time being.

One last question for this topic though, what is sillimtao??

SevenStar
12-31-2001, 12:53 PM
a WC form.

Kristoffer
12-31-2001, 01:11 PM
U are asking "what to train" In a KUNG FU forum??
Ayay...:rolleyes: Go ****ing train Kung Fu u silly person!!!

Dark Knight
12-31-2001, 01:40 PM
A lot of people have problems with TKD because the Majority of schools opened are Mcdojo's concerned about making money more than teaching something useful. Also many TKD instructors lie to their students to build themselves up..Such as 'TKD is older than most or all Styles", "TKD would dominate in UFC but no one has kicked full force", "TKD is not a sport but a self defense" (Even though its an official Korean Sport) "Ju-Jitsu Guys have never seen a round house kick and would not know what to do"....and the list goes on.

Any one that tells you that their style is better than all others is usually looking for money only.

The other big complaint is that TKD is famous for 7 year old black belts. They sell rank.

not all TKD schools are like that, but so many are it gives them all a bad name.

hughes
12-31-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
U are asking "what to train" In a KUNG FU forum??
Ayay...:rolleyes: Go ****ing train Kung Fu u silly person!!!

Yes i did ask it on a kung fu forum and i got intelligent responses from accomplished martial artists.

Dark Knight - yeah i know what you mean but im pretty sure im not part of a mcdojang, it thoroughly looks into the martial side of TKD (part of my grading requirements is theory test), also as I have said before this dojang has great emphasis on sparring, which is good.

Matrix
12-31-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by hughes
Oh, and my TKD school is a good one I'll admit, lots of emphasis on sparring and padwork. Also, its ITF so its not affiliated in any way with the Olympic sort style. Hughes,

I have experience in both arts, although my TKD was WTF. I have been a Wing Chun student for the past few years, and plan to stay with it for the long term.

As several others have already pointed out, you can't just make a blanket statement such as WC is better that TKD. Because the instructor and the class environment are what really count. Having said this, I think that Wing Chun is a more effective self-defence system than TKD, but that is based on my experience and it's definitely what works for me. Your results may vary.

One thing that I found helpful in this type of decision making process is to watch the senior students. Let's face it, these seniors are the fruit of the instructors efforts, and you just need to look and see if that's where you want to be in a few years. And look at all of them, you don't want to be fooled by one extraordinarily gifted pupil. I've seen schools where some of the seniors are quite weak, and that is a sign of a Belt factory, in my opinion. If someone has a black belt or sash, it should represent a certain level of skill, not just how long you've been paying your fees. :)

Choose one, focus on it, and give it your best effort.
You won't regret it.

Matrix

hughes
12-31-2001, 02:31 PM
Aww man, thing is, this TKD school moved location, so the most senior members have been doing it for 12 months,mind you, saying that, at a recent tourney they brought back 3 golds 2 silvers and 2 bronzes.

PaleDragon
12-31-2001, 02:38 PM
ask the WC sifu to battle the TKD...instructor(?) for your loyalty...or get two senior students from each school to spar or compare notes...or just pick WC for me since there's nowhere for me to learn it here.

KungFuGuy!
12-31-2001, 02:38 PM
TKD is a great art. I took it for 9 years and it complimented my primary sport (hockey) perfectly. It worked heavily on flexibilty, stamina, and explosive strength, the exact qualities you'll find in a good goaltender like myself :D The flexibilty you'll acquire is amazing, I was doing chair splits after my first 3 months.
However, tkd is lacking in the practicality department. Granted, you'll have an advantage over untrained people, but I believe that my 6 months of mckungfu (yes I currently belong to a mcdojo) has proven more usefull in self defense knowledge than my 9 years of tkd.

Dark Knight
12-31-2001, 02:48 PM
"ask the WC sifu to battle the TKD...instructor(?) for your loyalty..."

I would beat my student for asking me to do that then throw him out. He has no respect or loyalty for me if he wants me to fight for his loyalty.

Matrix
12-31-2001, 07:37 PM
Aww man, thing is, this TKD school moved location, so the most senior members have been doing it for 12 months,mind you, saying that, at a recent tourney they brought back 3 golds 2 silvers and 2 bronzes. Oh sorry, my mistake. I thought you were being serious.:rolleyes:

Matrix

Kristoffer
01-01-2002, 06:17 AM
:rolleyes:
I was only pulling your leg man.. was IRONIC.

hughes
01-01-2002, 07:38 AM
Kristoffer - Ok man, no harm done

Matrix - That quote is true, but they got those medals in their own belt category, so they aren't experts,but they are coming along nicely (better than some other clubs) you know what i mean?

Matrix
01-01-2002, 09:07 AM
Matrix - That quote is true, but they got those medals in their own belt category, so they aren't experts,but they are coming along nicely (better than some other clubs) you know what i mean? Hughes - I definitely understand your meaning. It's all relative. Just don't get hung up on medals and other trinkets. In the end, they have little value. Like they say, it's not what you get that matters, it's what you become.

Best of luck in 2002.

Matrix