PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on Shaolin Kung Fu

Tekarius
12-28-2001, 06:42 PM
These might seem like a funny questions, but I was wondering what is northern shaolin kung fu? Is Northern shaolin an art itself or are there different types of Northern Shaolin?
My second question, is there such thing as a southern shaolin?

thanks
Clark

Ben Gash
12-29-2001, 02:57 PM
Hmm, a bit of both really. On the whole Northern Shaolin is an umbrella term for a number of systems descended from the northern temple, and is interchangeable with the term longfist.
However, there is of course the system practiced at Songshan today. Is this "the" Northern Shaolin? Maybe, maybe not. They admit that they jazz things up a bit for demonstration, so it's hard to objectively evaluate it. However, I'm sure the original Shaolin Syllabus didn't have Si Lu Chaquan or Xingyi or other non shaolin systems you see them doing. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of it isn't legit.
Most of the time you see Northern Shaolin used in North America it is referring to the longfist system of Keo Yu Cheong.
Southern Shaolin? As above really. A selection of systems similar to Hung gar that no one can remember the old name for (if they even had one) and so fall under the umbrella term Nan Sil Lum.