PDA

View Full Version : Origins of BJJ...

Tvebak
12-29-2001, 02:06 AM
Is it true that BJJ actually comes from a Judo style and not Jiujitsu? Recently i talked with an old Aikijutsu master and he saíd that BJJ is a lot like a form of Judo that was practised in his youth.
So now im curious.

Asia
12-29-2001, 05:52 AM
Yes BJJ comes form judo. It came from Mitsui Maeda who is usually billed as jujustu master but was really a judo master. I have info that says Maeda was a kodokan judoka and others that says he was a kosen judoka. Kosen judo is a derivative of kodokan and is closer to what BJJ does than Kodokan so the latter may be correct.

Tvebak
12-31-2001, 02:55 AM
How did u come by this info...is there any homepages on it or anything like that?
I triede telling it to one of my friends who practise BJJ, but he dident want to listen.

Leonidas
12-31-2001, 01:41 PM
Oh you mean Brazilian "Wrestling" :D. Yea the Gracies were taught Judo by Count Maeda as they called him. The style they made has no resemblance to real Japanese Jujutsu. It's just Judo with emphasis on Groundfighting training, hence the MMA "you need groundfighting" craze.

Dark Knight
12-31-2001, 01:43 PM
Brazillian Junior Judo

Go to www.mixedmartialarts.com and ask the question, even the Gracie people will tell you.

DelicateSound
01-06-2002, 02:36 PM
The Gracies took years to invent it.

Ralek took 5 minutes to make us all hate it.

Yes it comes from Judo, but IMHO Judo is much better. Better principles etc.

Oh and Trolls - the above information is JUST MY OPINION!