PDA

View Full Version : Setting Goals in Martial Arts

count
12-29-2001, 08:07 AM
If yours is different, please post it.

When you decided to train in martial arts, did you have a goal you wanted to achieve? If so, have you met the goal and how long did it take? What are some of your reasons for trying to learn martial arts? Have your goals changed or expanded over time? If you met your goals, would you stop?

Esteban
12-29-2001, 10:14 AM
Hi Count,

none of the above.

At first, it was an accident. I was walking to a subway station with a friend of mine, a black belt in Shotokan with Fred Hamilton's dojo many years ago. I was in my early 20s, and had been interested in boxing, etc. for a while already; and I was also newly married. My friend asked me to come down to train. I told him that having some basic experience in boxing (because I'd always been the skinny guy people liked to pick on) and my overall fitness (gained as a competitive cyclist) were more than enough for "self-defense." Anyway, then he said "How confident are you that you could protect your wife and children?" That question is why I began to study seriously. Other "accidents" led me to the study of taijiquan. But, I just wanted to point out that IMHO being able to protect oneself "for real" is fairly simple. It's taught to every recruit in military service. Empty hand combat sucks. I have a son and a son-in-law, both right now in military service. So, it's no joke for me. I think the only thing the power or skill gained from the study of any "martial art" is good for is to *help* other people. Every other purpose is nice, though. I've accepted the fact that I am not invulnerable, invincible, or immortal. I can't watch my back 24/7, but I can watch someone else's. That, in sum, is what I think martial arts are for, and what martial artists should do. But, different strokes for different folks.

Respectfully,
Steve "Esteban" James

count
12-29-2001, 06:24 PM
I can't believe I left that off my list of options. Something we discuss often in class and of top importance. Being able to defend yourself and others and being able to teach others to defend themselves shows the "wu de" spirit. Do you think you have reached that goal and if so, how long did it take you? Oh ya, I agree, different stokes for different folks. I hope I didn't imply by my post there is a right answer. For example, You might say all of the above as well. ;)

Esteban
12-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Hi Count,

hey, I have nothing against any of the goals you listed. I took the question from the point of view of the questions somemasters ask potential students: i.e., "Why do you want to study with me?" There's are many good reasons, but . . . let me put it like this. If you had a .45, and your 15 year-old asked to learn how to use it and own one himself, what would you ask him? When would you teach him? If he used it to bully his peers or rob those who were weaker, what would you do? I don't know about nowadays but, at one time, part of the baishi ceremony was a pledge to use the knowledge to defend the weak against the strong. It's an old-fashioned concept. Anyway, you asked:

"Do you think you have reached that goal and if so, how long did it take you?"

It's not a goal I can reach, just something to keep in mind during day-to-day living. If someone says "thanks" or say they've been helped, that's more than expected. If I don't harm anyone around or make it less safe, that's enough. To "do" this takes as long as it takes any individual to make the conscious decision. As we've seen from events in the world, it takes very little outside of committment to accomplish almost anything.

[Count]
Oh ya, I agree, different stokes for different folks. I hope I didn't imply by my post there is a right answer. For example, You might say all of the above as well.

Esteban
Right, I don't there's a "wrong" answer, per se. We make decisions because the world is "as it is", not as we'd like it to be. Heck, "martial arts", arts of war . . . why are there wars? That's why there are martial artists. At least, that's my opinion.

Respects,
Steve James

Asia
12-30-2001, 02:48 AM
Well I goes I would have picke the first two. But of course I added a third, World Domination.:D

My intial goal in MA was be a good fighter and take care of myself. I go that in spades now I continue to train because it is a part of my life. I would say now my goal is to pass down GOOD REAL MA skills to pple. With all the sad things pple pass off as MA now a days makes me cry:( I want to ensure there will be some good ones out there when the current ones are gone.

Justa Man
12-30-2001, 02:59 PM
I'd pick choice one and four. I started studying to learn how to defend myself and my family. I then saw how my training gives greath health and a well spirit and saw the importance of these too.
If I started with any goal in mind, it was to feel confident in my ability to defend myself. Of course, now that I am a few years down the road, I see the levels of self defense and skill there are (me, the senior of our school, my shifu, his shifu, etc), so it's now become a No Goal quest.
I think I've met my basic goal of being able to defend myself and it took about 5 years to make it happen. But my goal has definitly become No Goal and I'm now just looking to take it as far as I can. But there is levels to "defending oneself". How much more effectice can I become at defending myself? Maybe I can defend myself from a mugger, but 2 muggers with knives? Or, a fight I can't avoid in a bar with some drunkard, I think I can handle myself. But, what if the guy isn't a drunkard and has great fighting skill and a true intent to see me hospitalized? Hmmm.
So I think there are levels to this, and I think I've passed the basic level of self defense, but recognize it's reality of something you can't say you are fully accomplished at, because there is always a worse circumstance (5 guys with bats, your wife at knife point, being attacked with your children with you by a group).
What do you think?

count
12-31-2001, 05:18 PM
World Domination! Well, knowing you the way I do, I think you will probably get there ;) Welcome to "the big kid board" :D

Asia
01-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks Count!

I am still having fun in the 'little kids' board. I do see the difference though.

shaolinboxer
01-02-2002, 11:43 AM
I chose four, but you left off one of the most important reasons...because training is FUN :)

yuxiang
01-03-2002, 04:46 AM
I started because my village was burned, and I had to seek revenge, but as I look at the answers, none of them fits. Superior fighting skills is listed, but I do not want to be a great fighter --I want to fight great.

01-03-2002, 07:17 AM
This year, I'll probably open a school.

It's been my lifelong dream to be a kung fu sifu.

I've worn many hats in life: medical student, public health person, GIS county planner, freelance violinist, violin teacher, teacher.

But I could never shake that nagging feeling that I wasn't doing what I was MEANT to do - and that was to spread the martial arts to those who wanted to learn it.

TenTigers
01-08-2002, 01:14 AM
Huang, that is the best, and in my opinion the only reason to teach. Peple do things for different reasons. Take the person who becomes a doctor because he wishes to heal, rather than make dough booking unnecasary(I still can't spel that word) surgery, or milking your health insurance. Or the guy who becomes a cop, because he really wants to protect and serve, or fight crime, rather than so he can have a badge and a gun. Or the lawyer who wants to give the people a fair trial instead of using the system to line his own pocket. So it is with the martial arts teacher. There are some who become 'Sifus" just so people will show them respect, and bow, and call them Sifu, or there are others, who out of sheer love of their art, want to share it so others can experience the joy, wonder,mental, physical, and spiritual benefits. Hey, it's great doing what you enjoy most, and getting paid to do it. I look foward to going to "work" every day. Let us all know when you open, so we can support you in your endeavor.

uncle
01-08-2002, 04:36 PM
:o Sorry Count, I meant to reply to this topic a few days ago but got sidetracked.Since 1972 everyone of those have applied at one time or another,when I started my goal was to learn to fight well and maybe superhuman strength, although my Mom and Step Dad's goals were just to help me keep from getting my a$$ kicked,which happened more in class (I really did need it),than on the street.The old tavern days were fun while they lasted,especially the70's and early 80's when cowboys used to try to cut hippy hair:p ;) Those were the years that made me realize #1 I wasn't immortal ,#2no matter how much Iwanted to I coudn't watch someone elses back 24/7 either!!The 90'swere mostly my martial arts for health faze.Which has brought me back around to increasing my fighting ability,or maybe that was midlife crisis,I forget !! Is your memory the first or the second to go!:D Peace Bob

bamboo_ leaf
01-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Not far behind you!!! I hope it’s the last thing to go. :)

I started probbly much like any one else not so much to fight others but to be able to do something to those who wanted to fight me. Kinda of a small kid in school.

Now my goal is to reach as far as I can with my art. To really be able to do it!!!

TC is where I ended up at; funny thing is that a lot of it is seems to be getting back to what is called balanced and natural movement where most of us started from. ;)

Nexus
01-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Yeah, health, fitness, martial, mental - It's all rapped into one big package, and the best is that it all comes from within.

01-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the compliments, TenTigers.

YOU have been an inspiration to me ever since we attended LNSL together.

I have staked out a location and am probably going to open later this year.

I have the full backing of my sifu, and I'm training hard. I won't be a full-fledged master, and I'll be very upfront about it.

In our style, the key is simply to do the set as cleanly as possible. I've recently begun to reach real quality. Of course, this is an unending process.

My sifu has a goal of coming to do seminars at my school. He doesn't want the responsibility of running a school himself, but he would love to interact with future students of mine. I will do my very best to honor his dream.

You'll recognize me on sight when we meet up, TenTigers. But you won't recognize my ability when we touch hands!