PDA

View Full Version : Wing chun and boxing

CanadianBadAss
12-29-2001, 09:28 AM
I don't know much about boxing as far as rules go (other then no kicking). But couldn't you use your wing Chun in a boxing match? The huge gloves might take a little getting used to, and the no kicking part, but the majority of your WC skills would still be allowed right?
But I'm probably wrong, or maybe boxing is just better for a boxing match. Because with all that money you can get out of pro boxing a WC guy would've already tried it eh?

yuanfen
12-29-2001, 10:07 AM
FWIW- a carefully considered opinion. Wing chun can be adapted
if needed for the training of a boxer in a boxing ring. But some requirements, the trainers have to know enough about both boxing and wing chun in order to train people.
A big hurdle is that the development of good wing chun approach to non muscled power takes time and practice. Most good boxers
come from economically challenged roots- they are unlikely to wait 5-6 year in order to develop the essentials of good "short power" and to understand the geometry of wing chun. They want their mpney now.Take a look...most wing chun newbies have not developed it yet (short power and the geometry)
either IMO. The recent chain punch thread was at times quite revealing on this score.

CanadianBadAss
12-29-2001, 10:20 AM
By "short power" do you mean the power developed from the forms from using proper body mechanics and forword energy?

yuanfen
12-29-2001, 10:24 AM
zero inch power. The ability to explode when there is already contact.

CanadianBadAss
12-29-2001, 10:30 AM
hmm... don't think i have any of that Exploding inch power. But i still have a couple years left to practice befor i can start my pro boxing career...

curtis
12-29-2001, 01:21 PM
Hello

I use to box in the service. (at least I thought I did.)
Boxing is verry much like the martial arts, there are many different forms(or ways of thought on boxing)
I met a man a few years back, HE realy opened my eyes to boxing. He had a family stile more or less,(his father was a trainer) his control of the distance and footwork was unlike anything Ive ever seen before. I closed on him and he was always just out side my reach,and if I extened my close (something I know better,not to do.) he would close on me, strike and be gone before I could recover.
latter we sat down and talked about the hows and whys, I found out his lojic and reasioning was more of a sicence than what I belived before I met him.
BOXING is a term Like Karate,or KungFu, there are many stiles and ways of thought greater than what the general public is aware of. I guess Its all in who teaches you and how you can applie what you know.
The word "GungFu" means personalised exelence. and in this case his Boxing is good GungFu. C.A.G.

yuanfen
12-29-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro-boxing in Vancouver? Vancouver hasn't been known for
it's pro-boxing training grounds to the best of my knowledge.
Is there/are there first class trainers there?
Without provoking ultra nationalism Canada has not been known for
producing first rate boxers consistently. Lewis migrates here and there including the UK but is basically trained lately by Emmanuel Seward from Detroit who taught him to move sideways more- and you have to go back decades to get to a Yvon Durelle- now and then.
Key places in the US. , Mexico and Panama generally are where the boxer production takes place. Now and then a Filipino or Thai in the real low weight classes. There are some good Russian boxers but they are often robotic in the pros until they take some US training and experience like Jirov. Australia's current star is really a Russian who again has US experience.Phoenix is quite a training ground--- Tyson trains here, Mayweather... others have one time or another---Corrales, Shavers, Leonard, Hagler sometimes
and some world class Mexican Americans.
The Bruce lee folks brag about Bruce's boxing pre WC-- actually China, HK has not produced first rate boxers. A certain body shaping is generally important for western boxing.
Very few muay thai boxers have been able to convert to good pro boxing- hand skills not that good. The active period for a good boxer is a relatively short one- but it does require great skills and the right kind of fitness in their short years of activity..

Majic Sam
12-29-2001, 09:38 PM
Dale Walters is an Olympic gold medal boxer from Vancouver.Trains downtown here in the same gym with the Vunak guys.I saw Dale training Cuba Gooding Jr. there a few months ago,so you know it's for real.Honest!

whippinghand
12-29-2001, 10:23 PM
Pay attention to the details. He stated "zero inch power".

yuenfan, do you have something against Canadians, or what? Fine we haven't produced any first rate boxers, but what aboot our figure skaters, eh? **** that takes talent.

saulauchung
12-30-2001, 02:47 AM
The effect of Wing Chun as a result of wearing boxer's gloves and applying restricting rules can be seen from later period students of the late Wong Shun Leung. During the eighties, ring-fighting tournaments were very popular in Hong Kong. These were open to all styles of martial arts and the rules are as expected and with the use of gloves. Since the credibility of the schools depended largely on how many trophies the school possessed (the numbers of winning students entering the tournaments), a lot of the Sifus began modifying their teachings to adept to the use of gloves and rules. The end result was the over emphasise of 'luk sau jik chung' and no 'loi lau hoi sung'. This is because with a pair gloves on, you virtually surrendered the use of the wrists and fingers and therefore you have no retainment effect. Another aspect is due to the size of the gloves, you can no longer attack in a single line leaving your centre wide open. This might be ok in the ring but when these students fought without the gloves, they fought as if they were still wearing them.

The difference of watching someone using 'luk sau jik chung' only and someone else with additional 'loi lau hoi sung' is flair and elegance. The former would be very violent and 'yin' whilst the latter would be very beautiful to watch because that person appears to have total control over his opponent just like a magician mesmerizing the audience with his skills. It is like he has a magnet each of his hands and he can draw or repel his opponent at will.

:cool:

yuanfen
12-30-2001, 06:58 AM
Whippinghand sez;yuenfan, do you have something against Canadians, or what? Fine we haven't produced any first rate boxers, but what aboot our figure skaters, eh? **** that takes talent.
--------------------------------------------------
Got nothing against Canadians. True -great figure skaters.Ice hockey. Great maple syrup too. But together with Avis- good tries in boxing, wrestling, judo(despite late PM Trudeau as role model), malamutes(the best ones originally came from around Kotzebue bay in Alaska), wing chun (I ducked)...<g>

PS Great country-but why dont they make their long bilingual flight announcements in Inuit too? Then I would be thoroughly confused!

yuanfen/kismet

S.Teebas
12-30-2001, 09:41 AM
What is the difference between canadians and americans?? I cant tell you guys aparts... you sound the same to me.

S.Teebas

yuanfen
12-30-2001, 11:02 AM
Canadian are Americans but not all Americans are Canadians.
Canadians think that they are speaking English. Americans have not spoken it for years<g>.Try understanding someone from east Texas. Canadians sleep a little more. Americans take things to stay awake then take things to go to sleep.
America has several cities- one in particular- that never sleeps.
They roll up the sidewalks in Canada at 6 pm..except for parts of Toronto possibly where the worst American habits have crept in.
They waste less energy on Canada. They dont think about energy in the US- its always available at the store isnt it? Never mind where it comes from. If we are out we will just get some more- even if we have to sip it througha pipe-line from the caspian sea via Afghanistan or Turkey- whichever is cheaper and sold higher.(Americans had a Civil War
settled for one country then made movies on it and collect civil war memorabilia. Canadians dont like violence(comparatively speaking) but talk about civil war and separation from time to time. The Queen hasa different meaning in Canada and the US.
This non essay is a spontaneous statement but then.zzzzzzzzz.
Neither understands Kung Fu...both have lots of kung fu .wannabees in 6 easy lessons on the net.Americans kept the Chinese out early- then changed. Canadians kept the Chinese out till a little later- now you can find better Chinese food in toronto and Vancouver than you can find in the average home in China. Canadians can become Americans- give it a little time. As Will Rogers used to say-if ya dont like the weather- stick around-it will change. NAFTA and the great corporate conglomerate machine is on the way.

whippinghand
12-30-2001, 03:43 PM
Canadian chicks are definitely hotter. American chicks are stuck in the 80's.

Jeff Liboiron
12-30-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by whippinghand
Canadian chicks are definitely hotter. American chicks are stuck in the 80's.

Amen to that brother :D

yuanfen
12-30-2001, 05:56 PM
To adapt Gertrude Stein since she was fixed on rose

a chick is a chick is a chick!

(sing it to "As time goes by"- from Casblanca)

Its the same old story
The fight for love and glory
But a chick is a chick is a chick
As time goes by!

whippinghand
12-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Obviously, you've never been to Canada.

rubthebuddha
12-31-2001, 01:09 AM
sorry, bud, they're still chicks. they're just tougher than those on this side of the border.

whippinghand
01-02-2002, 04:23 AM
Are you suggesting that I'm whipped?

rubthebuddha
01-02-2002, 05:24 PM
nope. i'm suggesting that canadian chicks are tougher than the majority of the panzies down here that think the term "fairer sex" means they should just sit around and look pretty to attract the successful male.

actually, when i say canadian chicks are tougher, i mean it as a compliment. one of my best pals is in kamloops, bc, and she could take half the guys on this forum.

of course, part of the reason why i'm so bitter about this is that i spent a week back in los angeles for the holidays, and all the women down there seemed to care about was how pretty they could look while avoiding anything resembling hard work. honestly, the sole worth of a lot of these "ladies" was the recyclable value of the silicon in their chests.

and no i'm not bitter because i'm single. that problem disappeared two weeks ago. :cool:

yuanfen
01-02-2002, 05:47 PM
With apologies to an old marching song
in the spirit of the tattering thread:

I have seen the girls of Paris
And I have seen them on the Mall

But the girls in Piccadilly
doesnt beat them at all

Bless them all bless them all
the long and the tall and the short
bless them all bless them all

From Texas to Toronto- spring to fall