PDA

View Full Version : business model

RickMatz
12-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Different teachers have different business models. I have no problem with someone who has worked hard to acquire a skill to make a decent living teaching it.

In your opinions, what business model has worked best to:
a) allow a teacher to maintain a decent standard of living, while
b) allowing the teacher to maintain a high quality of instruction.

Best Regards,

Rick Matz

MaFuYee
12-30-2001, 09:59 PM
shame on you. - i could be wrong, but, the way the question was framed, leads me to conclude that you want someone to spoon-feed you an "answer", and aren't willing to put in your own effort, and use your own brain.

seems like you are already destined to fail.

personally, i don't believe you can have you cake, and eat it too.

either, you can run a financially successful business, or you can teach the right way.

the personal attention required to teach someone an art, puts a definite limit on the number of students you can have. - i would say, maybe you can have a dozen students, tops. - having 4 or 5 would be much more reasonable, 2-3 would be great, and just one, would be ideal.

especially, if you are teaching an 'internal' art.

if you want to "TEACH" martial arts, then make your money some other way. - if you want to use martial arts to make money, open a McDojo(tm) franchise.

Kristoffer
12-31-2001, 06:09 AM
what the hell are u doing on this forum? Go talk Kung fu,, NOW

RickMatz
01-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Actually, I'm not anywhere near ready teaching anyone anything.

A good friend of mine has taught taiji and qigong for years, mostly for free, to people who show the interest and are willing to work; and also through a variety of "continuing adult education" formats, where he might pick up several hundred, or even a couple of thousand dollars, every three months.

Not bad as part time work.

However, he might be losing his "day" job; the economy, and corporate downsizing being what it is.

I'm just trying to do a little research on his behalf.

Best Regards,

Rick Matz