PDA

View Full Version : Watchman: What do you think of Walt Bayless

rogue
12-29-2001, 10:50 PM
What do you think of Walt Bayless?

Watchman
12-29-2001, 11:24 PM
Walt Bayless the man, or Walt Bayless Combat Jiu Jitsu the system?

I don't know Walt and have never met him, so I couldn't give you a personal opinion on the man himself, but I have met, in passing, his Salt Lake City rep Justin Ellison (who is a 2nd degree black belt under Walt). From everything I know and hear about Justin, the guy is a top notch grappler, an excellent teacher, and a good person.

If you want more specific info about Walt's system, Justin is probably the best person to ask. I have his email address if you want it.

So, uh, does that help?

rogue
12-30-2001, 12:02 PM
Thanks Watchman.
The reason I ask is that I "found" a bunch of Bayless tapes that I ordered a couple of years back and misplaced. Just started watching them and he seemed to do some nice work. Very wrestling oriented which was nice.

After I get throught these tapes I may ask for that e-mail if I have any questions.

qeySuS
12-30-2001, 12:48 PM
hmm rouge, i dont think there ever were any tapes, your just using this as a pickup line on watchman.

I'm on to you.

Watchman
12-30-2001, 01:23 PM
Very wrestling oriented which was nice.

Yeah, that's something that I've noticed that seems to set them apart from your regular varieties of BJJ. They will work a new student on standing opponent control, takedowns, and securing top position, before they move onto anything else (including submission training). They hate fighting from their backs, and spend alot of time on Guard busting.

They also work a lot of nasty pain compliance stuff in with their ground work.

rogue
12-30-2001, 03:11 PM
OK Chilly Willy, them there is fighting words here in the good ol' heterosexual US of A!!!:mad: :D

wushu chik
12-30-2001, 03:52 PM
ROGUE.......are you horning in on MY MAN??
Its on..........

Black Jack
12-30-2001, 05:40 PM
The only complaint I have heard about Walts tapes are how freakin short they are in time.

I have heard that a number of his tapes are well under 30 minutes, that may not mean much if the stuff on there is good stuff, but it is a consideration on what you may want to spend your money on.

Is Walt the guy with the "quick kill" ju jitsu tape?

rogue
12-31-2001, 08:50 AM
Yep, they are short, but I got something like 8 or 9 tapes pretty cheap. The material looks pretty good and Walt has got to be the happiest guy I've ever seen. No bad@ss posturing. Now I just need to get some of my friends to roll with.

qeySuS
12-31-2001, 09:08 AM
I hear you Rouge :/ There's a bunch of guys at my old school that play around and roll (since there is no teaching around) But i'd have to pay membership if i wanted to hang around there and roll.

Would be cool if someone at my place now would want to.