PDA

View Full Version : Yang Family Swordsmanship Festival

taijiquan_student
12-30-2001, 01:13 PM
Yang Family Sword Festival (http://www.grtc.org/swordfestival/index.html)

The above is a link to the info page on my school's website for the Yang Family Sword Festival that will be held in Estonia June 29-July 6. Anyone is welcome, and no prior experience in this sword system is needed. All information and contact info are on the page. I know this is kind of sleazy self-promotion, but hey, the more people the better!:)

Ky-Fi
12-30-2001, 02:07 PM
I don't think I'll be able to make it to Estonia, but that looks like an awesome festival!

taijiquan_student
12-30-2001, 02:22 PM
Too bad, but yeah...the awkward thing about it is that it's in Estonia. I gather the reason for this is: Our school has branches in Washington DC, Russia, and Estonia. The students in Estonia nd Russia don't exactly have a lot of money, and couldn't all come over here for the festival. While somewhat awkward for the US students to go to Estonia, we have the money and Estonia is a beautiful place anyway. So the best choice was Estonia. Also the mayor or head of the city, or whatever his official name is is sponsoring the festival, which means more priviliges for us!

There will also be guest speakers on different aspects of Chinese swordsmanship and probably some established masters/advanced practitioners coming to learn this style. Anyway, that's enough talking from me.

taijiquan_student
12-30-2001, 09:37 PM
TTT:cool:

premier
12-31-2001, 05:24 PM
Estonia is worth checking out. It's cheap place and the girls tend to be hot =)

Would the stuff make any sense to a guy without tai chi experience? How much would the seminar cost?

taijiquan_student
12-31-2001, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I've heard that about the women. While it would be a great help to have taiji experience (especially in the bare-hand form of this taiji system), I don't think it's an absolute must. What might be important is how close your style is to taiji, or how much is relaxation stressed, how is the power generated, how internal is it, etc. Your profile says you do CLF, and I've heard that is an "external" style, but I don't know anything about it at all.

premier
01-01-2002, 09:27 AM
I see. Well.. I don't know how different the body mechanics are, since I don't know any tai chi. Relaxation of the unnecessary muscles is stressed and we do some Lohan qi gong. But yeah. I doubt I'd make it there. I have enough seminars on my own style to attend this year =) Sounds interesting though. Have fun =)

taijiquan_student
01-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks.

Best of luck in training for the new year.

Sho Pi
01-02-2002, 10:33 AM
I think this looks like a great festival. I wish i could attend.

I have a question though. In light of all the extra security at airports and such how are you going to travel with your swords? Or are they going to be provided at the festival.

It seems that since Sept. 11 new things that I took for granted always seem to be cropping up.

Sho Pi

taijiquan_student
01-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi Sho Pi... Wooden Swords will be provided by the festival, and can be bought for 35-40$, much cheaper than you can get good ones here. Although, if you have a sword you are very atached to (provided it's a jian because that is what the event is about) you could bring it. However, the wood swords will be used for the free swordplay.

Traveling with swords shouldn't be too hard. It's mainly carry-on stuff the airports are worried about, not baggage you check. Most of the swords will be given to everyone in Estonia anyway.

No_Know
01-04-2002, 09:36 AM
I would like to go, just because of your mention that they can't go to the U.S. of A. middle North America union.