PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut in a nutshell please.

Excession
12-30-2001, 03:00 PM
Could an experienced CLF practitioner please explain what makes CLF what it is and why particular kinds of techniques are emphasized through all levels of training and why some would be introduced only later.

Would it be correct to say that the first principles a CLF practitioner learns is to keep an opponent at a distance and move in strike and move out (Seems good for fighting large opponents or groups of opponents)? Is this heavily emphasised in CLF and does it change as you move up in rank?

If this is so does CLF have a lot to offer a Goju Ryu practitioner in terms of adding to his/her fighting abilities, once they have spent 5-10 years in Goju?

I appreciate that addressing all these issues may be more suited to a book and if there is a comprehensive publication on this subject, I would like to get hold of it, but any opinions would be most helpfull!

Thanks.

nospam
12-30-2001, 03:55 PM
Why don't you tell us a little of how a Goju Ryu Karate practitioner would fight after 5-10 years?

nospam.
:cool:

extrajoseph
12-30-2001, 04:40 PM
Please explain what makes CLF what it is

A. Comprehensive fighting skills, commonly known as southern hands and northern feet. The 3 levels are like going to primary school, high school and university. After a tertiary education, you can make CLF whatever you want it to be.

Why particular kinds of techniques are emphasized through all levels of training and why some would be introduced only later

A. The basics (ma bo and the "seeds") are emphasized through all levels, the more internal forms are introduced later with the animal forms being the most advanced. The reasons are obvious, first work on the body then the mind, go from the gross to the subtle, from the large to the small, from the square to the circular and from the seen to the unseen. In the end, learn to disolve the complementary opposites to become the One, that is being with Nature, hence the animal forms. Find the animal in you and you will find the "animal" in you.

Would it be correct to say that the first principles a CLF practitioner learns is to keep an opponent at a distance and move in strike and move out (Seems good for fighting large opponents or groups of opponents)?

A. Yes, if you mean this by learning good footwork first. Stability and mobility are crucial to a good fighter. Bridging the gap, speed and accuracy are the first priciples.

Is this heavily emphasised in CLF and does it change as you move up in rank?

A. It changes from the physical to the mental then to the spiritual as you move up the ranks but the aim is the same: to control your opponent. First you learn to control him, then learn to control yourself to control him then learn no control to control. Sometimes your opponent is not a person, but your own self, your own fear.

If this is so does CLF have a lot to offer a Goju Ryu practitioner in terms of adding to his/her fighting abilities, once they have spent 5-10 years in Goju?

A. You are so used to see things from one perspective so it is always beneficial to see the same things from a different perspective. Not only CLF has a lot to offer, all forms of MA will help with your journey. Finding a good teacher is the trick, not the style.

I appreciate that addressing all these issues may be more suited to a book and if there is a comprehensive publication on this subject, I would like to get hold of it, but any opinions would be most helpfull!

A. It is only my limited opinion with limited words. I hope it has been a help to you. IMO, it is impossible to write a comprehensive book on CLF, only a technical one and I have not come across a good one yet. Good luck!

JosephX

straightblast5
12-31-2001, 04:25 AM
Excession,

The following is a link to our association's website with some general to specific information about Choy Lay Fut.

http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/choylayfut.htm

Hope this helps.

Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)

Fu-Pow
12-31-2001, 10:55 AM
Joseph, nice overview.

I can speak directly from experience in our own school. We have several students who have come from karate backgrounds, one from ishin ryu and one from gogu ryu.

The hardest thing that they have had to learn is how to "let go" of excess muscle tension. Karate relies more on muscular strength than CLF. CLF is more circular and in many techniques uses the arms in a whip-like fashion. The power is generated more from the waist than in karate. There is a saying in CMA, "small and tight come from big and loose." Karate is much "smaller" from the beginning.

In addtion, CLF footwork is more complex and deceiving to the opponent. But it is very foreign to the world of Karate. Most notably karate lacks the dragon stance of CMA.

In terms of application the strategy is different. My understanding is that Karate is a "one hit, one kill" type of martial art. Where as CLF is a barage of smaller attacks followed by a ""finishing move."
As far as kicking CLF forms contain mostly high kicks, but the kicks are actually applied much lower. Mostly to the groin and legs. Also, the back is kept mostly upright when kicking as not to put oneself is a vulnerable position.

Karate has a lot to offer as far as fundamentals. It is easier to understand than CLF. However, I think that in the long run CLF will only improve your karate.

Peace

Excession
01-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Thankyou for your replies, they were very helpfull.