PDA

View Full Version : IronFist's new training routine

IronFist
12-30-2001, 07:18 PM
Here goes:

Sometime in the morning or early afternoon:

MA stuff
20-30 minutes various basic techniques
20 minutes techniques on the dummy (Yeah! I just finished building it. Anyone want to see pictures?)
20 minutes or so of whatever I feel like working on, specifically.
10-20 minutes qigong

Then, at night, starting between 8 and 10pm, depending on how much I've slacked off on leaving for the gym:

Strength stuff
At the gym: Standard PTP cycling: Squat, Bench, Weighted Pullups
Back home: snake turns over, alternating days: captains of crush and abs (if I feel like it)

And then when I go back to college in a few weeks, I'm considering changing the strength stuff to something like this:

4-5 times a week deadlifts using a Smolov (http://www.dragondoor.com/pavelnews_archive.html) cycling program.
1-2 times per week: heavy benching, probably triples
This will leave more time and energy for fun things like snake turns over, because that's hard enough as it is, much less after doing daily squats, bench, and weighted pullups.

Besides, I never really deadlift and so my DL weights suck ass, as in like, 60-70lbs less than my squat, which is low enough as it is because I'm a hardcore ectomorph, and we all know they're cursed with genetically weak legs. Haha.

Alright, comments would be cool.

Iron

PHILBERT
12-30-2001, 08:54 PM
Yes, please post photos of the dummy.

You didn't by chance put any stickers of the Superman "S" on it now did you?

IronFist
12-30-2001, 11:58 PM
You didn't by chance put any stickers of the Superman "S" on it now did you?

lol :D :D :D

I'll try to get pics up soon, but I'm not near the end of a roll of film. Oh well, we'll see.

Iron

Ford Prefect
12-31-2001, 01:26 PM
If you do the smolov cycling, let us know how it goes. It looks interesting.

Brian_CA
12-31-2001, 03:59 PM
Hey iron fist,

Nice workout routine. One question, where is your flexiblity training? Adding a systmactic sequence of stretching will enhance over all strength, flexiblity, balance and speed. In addition the relaxed muscles will be able to exert a greater amount of power when called to perform.

Hope this helps.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

Nexus
12-31-2001, 04:20 PM
Qi Gong could be his flexibility training if he made it that.

premier
12-31-2001, 04:46 PM
Ironfist

I have no comments on your training routine, but I just noticed that you have a quote in finnish in your signature =) Where did you get that and do you understand it? =)

IronFist
01-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Brian CA said:
One question, where is your flexiblity training?

Before I work out I always stretch out first. But for the most part, I am very flexible already so most of what I do is just for maintanence as opposed to increasing flexibility or anything. When I was very young (2nd grade) I took Isshinryu karate classes, so my flexibility training started early, and I've pretty much maintained it my whole life.

From time to time though I do incorporate various flexibility methods into my training, most stuff that Pavel teaches.

Good question tho, as flexibility is often neglected in people's training.

Premier said:
but I just noticed that you have a quote in finnish in your signature =) Where did you get that and do you understand it? =)

Hehe. I don't understand Finnish. I got it from another thread awhile ago, but I forgot who said it. I do know what it means, but I can't say it and I don't know any other words in Finnish :) I just thought the story was funny so I took the quote and put it in my sig. But you know what? When the forum changed to the new layout, the letters in my quote got messed up and I forgot what they're supposed to be. That's why there's big Ã's and ¤'s in it. (unless it's just messed up on my screen)

The story was something like this. There was an international beer festival or something somewhere (maybe Finland?) and there was one area where they would only let people in to drink beer if they could say a complete sentence in Finnish, so some American or something said that sentence, which was obviously taken from a phrasebook. I don't know, I thought it was funny.

From what I've heard, however, I can appreciate how difficult of a language Finnish is.

And, Stratovarius is my favorite band.

Iron

Ka
01-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Hello Iron I was wondering how you work your Captians of Crush?reps/slow release etc :)

IronFist
01-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi Ka. Usually I do singles after my workouts. I always do grip training last because if you fatigue your grip first, it would be hard to hold on the the bar for things like pullups or bench press. Also, tiring out the stabilizing muscles in the forearms will decrease your other lift's effectiveness on its own.

Alright, well, I'm no grip expert. In fact, my grip sucks. Once I closed a #2 half way. But, on the other hand I've only been playing with them since mid-December. The #2 was this other guy's. I only have a trainer and a #1.

Here's three things I've found to be very effective. Keep in mind that I train my grip for maximum strength, not endurance, so there's no high reps or anything at all.

1. Do singles after you're all done with the rest of your workout. One or two sets of single reps. I usually seperate my sets by 3-5 minutes. You do NOT want to overtrain your grip, as your fingers and forearm muscles will feel like crap if you do.

2. If you can't close a gripper with one hand, but you can *almost* get it there, squeeze it as hard as you can with your hand, and then use your other hand to "help" close it. Once you have done this, remove the second hand and hold it closed for a few seconds before slowly releasing it.

3. Another way to improve strength is to work on the next level up gripper. If you are trying to close a #1 do some partials or some assisted (two hand) closes on a #2. Then when you go back to #1 it will feel easier.

Hope this helped. If you have any tips let me know too, k?

Iron

Ka
01-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Cheers Iron good value,I really like tip number 2 I think that's going to help me alot.It may seem a really obvious thing to do but I probally would have never thought of it. I have been working on No.2 for a while but have never yet closed it fully,so I got a No3 in an attempt to do like what you are saying in Tip 3,but I tell you it is a shocker,I can barely make it move. I do much the same with my T but have found with my No1 if I close powerfully then slow release to a count of 5/6 it seems to really work the muscles.Also had a friend weld up a crude grip machine recently,I will tell how I go training that.No2 & No3 are going to go down man:D

jun_erh
01-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I recently used the one hand helping the other method to rehab my wrist. It had gone pretty much numb from too much virtua fighter 4. **** Lei Fei! I could barely play my guitar :mad: