PDA

View Full Version : JKD school What should I expect?

Shaolindynasty
12-30-2001, 08:37 PM
I am going to visit a JKD school this thursday and was wondering what I should expect to hear and see. What is typical of a JKD school what is a warning for JKD frauds? Help me out guys.

SifuLMDII
12-30-2001, 11:49 PM
Hello!

My website is down right now due to exceeding the bandwidth, but it comes back up on 1/1/2002. When it comes back up, read the section titled "What Is Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do?" That should give you a good idea as to what to look for! The URL for my main website is http://www.jffaa.8m.com . I hope you will find this helpful! Good luck! :)

Cyborg
12-31-2001, 11:08 AM
You can also check www.jkd.com which will give you the list of certified instructors.

Shaolindynasty
01-01-2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks Sifu MDII, That site was great the "what is Jun Fan/JKD" Page really helped. I have been searching things like crazy on the web and rereading alot of my books so I can make a good educated descion when I go Thursday.

apoweyn
01-02-2002, 11:16 AM
without getting into too much philosophy and politics, though, remember that JKD is pretty fragmented. (i know bruce would love to hear that characterization.)

i imagine that sifu lamar's site gives a great description of what is called (in some circles) 'original jkd.' then there's a whole other offshoot of JKD.

without advocating one viewpoint over the other, i'd just say that you should bear this in mind. it may be that, rather than a fraud, the teacher is simply adhering to another 'take' on JKD.

or he could legitimately be a fraud.

complicated, isn't it. i'm off to find some ibuprofen.

stuart b.

Shaolindynasty
01-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Yeah I understand there should be variations in JKD, right? I was just kind of curious as to the general types of things that I should see. Details are different from school to school in any "style". While Sifu MdII is of the "original" school, he gave a pretty balanced veiw form both sides on that paticular page. I have been going to different sources all over the web, so I can be more balanced in my desicion. I have a book called JKD unlimited that is about JKD concepts. If this is a good JKD concepts school that would be better for me in my development than learning "original JKD" as a system. I have a base from my Kungfu I just like the strategys and some of the extra movements of JKD, they also have JJ so I could really use some of those techs to.

apoweyn
01-02-2002, 03:29 PM
cool.

well, sifu davis seems to well represent one take on JKD (based on the numerous articles i've read by him).

and burton richardson (JKD unlimited) is a good representation of the other, in my opinion. so i'd say you're in a good position to judge.

stuart b.

marycatherine
01-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey! How did things go at the JKD school? I'm very curious to hear how your experience was...as someone who just moved, and changed schools (and forms), it can be nervewracking to try new schools (or maybe just for me 'cause I'm shy! :) )

MKG

Shaolindynasty
01-07-2002, 09:13 AM
It was okay. They are from the "concepts" school of thought. The problem is that he focuses on Kickboxing cause it's what the public wants. I beleive him cause he has more students than I do in my Kungfu class. That particular school isn't as intense as my traditional kungfu school and it's pretty expensive compared to what I used to pay, I pay nothing now since I teach. I was also hoping they did alot of sparring but I didn't see any besides "free grappling" so that was dissapointing after all I heard about concepts people sparring every day. I was going to join for the sparring partners but he teachs JKD like a traditional mcdojo class. It was okay, I mean I don't disrespect them but it's not really what I wanted.

SifuLMDII
01-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Hello Again!

It sounds to me like you really need a school that promotes Jeet Kune Do as I teach it! We put on the gear (gloves, headgear, shinguards) and go at it! The schools that promote the "concepts" approach to Bruce Lee's art often have so much in the curriculum that little time is left for practical drills, applications and sparring work! That's ALL we do! You might want to re-think your approach! I wish I had someone in that area that I could send you to but I don't! Good luck!

marycatherine
01-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey! Sorry to hear that the school wasn't exactly what you wanted...but I think it's really cool that you knew the characteristics you wanted your new school to have and you didn't get sucked into paying a lot of $ only to later find out that there are schools utilizing more direct applications. That would be disappointing.

MKG

"sometimes when I get nervous I stick my hands under my armpits"

Shaolindynasty
01-07-2002, 06:22 PM
I was hoping to learn some JKD "strategies and principles" then apply them to the Kungfu I have already learned. I saw that that school was fine but not for what I wanted to do. It looks like I should just continue on with picking up the elements I want from whatever written and video material I can. What interests me most about JKD is the philosophy, I want to apply the philosophy to my prevous training. I was hoping a concepts school would have been good for that but I guess not. Oh well, no biggie. I am still interested in JKD, I do like technique wise the earleir stuff or at least what is called eailer now. There was just to much of that "UFC/Vale tudo" sport stuff there, I am more into real world use.

Oh Sifu MDII, I think this would interest you. After the class he asked me what I thought and I said the trapping was very interesting(they did some for the last 10 min). He said yeah I would like to get more into that and what Bruce's original stuff was but people want the kickboxing. He was a cool guy and seemed to like some of the same aspects as me but he has to give the majority what they want. too bad, he would have been a good training partner

apoweyn
01-08-2002, 09:57 AM
sifu lamar,

while i'm more closely aligned with the 'concepts' way of thinking, i think you just hit on a really important point.

if the curriculum seeks to cover too much, no time is left to apply it. and if no time is spent applying it, then you end up with a dictionary rather than an instruction manual. lots of interesting references, but not so applicable.

anyway, i don't think this is necessarily inherent to the 'concepts' approach. but it is certainly a potential pitfall.

well said.

regards,

stuart b.

Shaolindynasty
01-08-2002, 11:14 AM
I guess when you have so many sources it is easy to fall into the trap of "technique collecting". I am not really sure if that was this schools particular problem but they are certainly a competition focused school. I don't really have the intentions of competing. I did like the trapping they did but I am not going to pay all that money so I can practice trapping for 5 mins after every "kickboxing" class. I think the concepts method is good but there is a danger of getting to much technique instead of focusing on the concepts. Personally I don't think JKD is well suited for beginners. If you have experience then you can appreciate the philosophy. Begginers somtimes have trouble focusing in a "systemless system". When you aren't limited to 1 style in the beginning you could have trouble focusing and try to spread yourself to thin ending up with alot of technical knolwedge but not able to aply it. I think it is better to build a base then when you are comfortable with it then you can put your personal stamp on it and pick and chose your technique. I guess you have to be bound before you can be unbound.

Sensei Kunz
01-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Sifu Davis is absolutly correct in advising you on the type of school you should be searching for the arts. It seems to me that you are well advised and need to keep searching for the right school or instructor. There are many schools that theach the same art, however, it s the instructor that you really need to find.
Hope you find an instructor that does not teach to be mechanical in techinque. Full contact sparring is the only way to go! This is the only way that the training that you have used can actually be put to the test. One technique may be good for one but not the other person. We all need to find our talents and weaknesses and know ourselfs to gain self-expression!

Good Luck