PDA

View Full Version : JKD/JJ school? Help!

Shaolindynasty
12-30-2001, 08:41 PM
I am going to visit a JKD school this thursday and was wondering what I should expect to hear and see. What is typical of a JKD school, what is a warning for JKD frauds? Help me out guys. I ahve read alot of BL stuff but how does that fit in at a JKD school, It seems Bruce wanted everybody to seek their own way so how much "like Bruce" should the instructor be? What is the typical curriculum in JKD now? Oh yeah they also teach Jujitsu at this school so what should I look for in a good Jujitsu guy?

Nichiren
12-31-2001, 06:41 AM
A combined JKD and JJ school? Can you post the head instructor of the school(s) then maybe you can get help. There are some excellent instructors around with that combination like Roy Harris etc.

LEGEND
12-31-2001, 07:05 AM
If it's a combine school than it's probably a JKD CONCEPT skool...www.royharris.com has clips of their program...expect to see a combination of classes ranging from BOXING, Muy Thai, BJJ, Shoot fighting etc...you should call to see what time these programs start and take a look and train.

LEGEND
12-31-2001, 09:18 AM
It seems Bruce wanted everybody to seek their own way so how much "like Bruce" should the instructor be?

All JKD instructor should know about JUN FAN...which was what Bruce was teaching in Oakland and Seattle. It's a mix of western boxing, fencing, some northern shaolin kicks and a foundation in wing chun. They may not move like BRUCE but they should have an understanding of this system.

What is the typical curriculum in JKD now? Oh yeah they also teach Jujitsu at this school so what should I look for in a good Jujitsu guy?

I believe u're going to a JKD CONCEPT skool which specializes in the individual...the focus is to see what u're good at...2 categories...standup fighting or grappler...as a individual u may be real good at one or the other...u'll experience both but like a college major u'll eventually specialize in only one! U get tons of sparring experience and tons of practical training. The understanding is about COMBAT...there is no spiritual side like in CMA arts.

Shaolindynasty
12-31-2001, 09:19 AM
Sounds like what I've been told his curriculum is like, except I never heard anybody mention Kali. I guess I'll see when I get there. Is JKD usually taught as a style or are the concepts just applied to what you already know?

Shaolindynasty
12-31-2001, 09:43 AM
Ok just read more of the site and I think this is the same curriculum as the school here. This guy is from chicago and trained under some guy whos last name starts with G I think. I sthere any of these schools certified in Chicago? On that site I didn't see any. We had another guy from that same school down here a few years ago and he was stupid. He used to say things like "I know over 40 styles" and "you name it I know it" but the guy here now says he was "disowned" by his instructor. So I am not sure what to expect.

LEGEND
12-31-2001, 11:01 AM
whass site address????